× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: Nighthawk LTE hotspot + external antennas

TeeJay74
Virtuoso

I had to check that earlier text what was it. I think it was that omni antenna talk. MR1100 has two visible external antenna connectors and that CSG omni  antenna has one connector so two GSG omni antennas(2 cables) required to reach 2x2 mimo effect.

Message 26 of 29
AmphybiouS
Aspirant

Hi guys, I need to increase signal strength for my M1100 installing externals antennas outside my house.
I'm near the tower approximately 1km. Do you suggest directional or omnidirectional antenna?
How many antennas I need? 1 or 2 mimo? If I take 1 MIMO, can have only 2x2 isn't? If I take 2 antennas, I have to use a pigtail to connect 2 cable from one antenna in first ts9 of the router, same for the second antenna. Isn't?

Thanks!
Message 27 of 29
nhantenna
Apprentice

Do you suggest directional or omnidirectional antenna?

if your nighthawk is switching between towers in different directions you want omni.  you only want directional if you are too far away for omni to work.  this depends on your location.  different towers have different power output, heights, etc.  if your cell phone works standing on your roof, your nighthawk will work.

How many antennas I need?

you only need one antenna.  you do not need to connect anything to the second antenna port on the nighthawk.

1 or 2 mimo? If I take 1 MIMO, can have only 2x2 isn't?

netgear does NOT disclose how antennas work on their product.  you just have to experiment.  in the last year, i have NEVER seen anyone post that a second external antenna improved their download/upload speeds.

If I take 2 antennas, I have to use a pigtail to connect 2 cable from one antenna in first ts9 of the router, same for the second antenna. 

one antenna into one nighthawk antenna port.  do not split/combine anything.  if you want to add a second antenna, the second antenna is plugged directly into the second nighthawk port.

Message 28 of 29
AmphybiouS
Aspirant

I have a LTE Antenna 14dbi gain, with 2 cable with SMA connector going in the modem. So, I have to find a connector that convert 2 SMA into one TS9 isn't? I already have 2 convertor SMA into TS9 and actually connected into the 2 Nighthawk ports. It works, not very well but works.
Thanks.
Message 29 of 29
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 28 replies
  • 15 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7