× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Nighthawk LTE mobile router stand by power usage

Alexp69
Aspirant

Nighthawk LTE mobile router stand by power usage

Hi all,

I want to install an LTE mobile spot serving an IP security cam on a boat where I have no access to shore power save for installing more solar cells. I need to calculate a power budget. I like the nighthawk hotspot since it has ethernet port so can plug the camera directly and save on wifi power. Usage will be very occasionally checking on the boat (so few secs/minutes video/shots uploads per week)) or as needed (alarms). Hotspot will basically stay 99.9+% of the time in stand by. What would be the expected power drain of the hotspot itself ? How long the 5000mA battery would last ? the spec'ed 24 hours life is with a quite heavy 66% downloading activity I understand. If I leave it plugged what would be the drain/loss in mA from the USB charger to keep the battery charged ?

Thanks

Alex

Message 1 of 6
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Nighthawk LTE mobile router stand by power usage

Hi Alexp69, 

Can you please provide the exact model of the unit? 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 2 of 6
Richard_J
Tutor

I don't think the Netgear nighthawk would provide good solution for your cam recording and heavy download requirement. Better to try other netgear WiFi routers. 

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router (US)
Message 3 of 6
Alexp69
Aspirant

The model is the MR1100|Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router, the ATT offered one. I just read standby time is only 1.7 days and use time is 24hours on their spec page. Which seems weird.

Message 4 of 6
Alexp69
Aspirant

My usage is going to be indeed very light indeed...few minutes day/week...

Message 5 of 6
JSchnee21
Virtuoso

Hi Alexp69,

You should assume that the AC to DC charger is the main consumer of power.  I'd recommend you buy a good QC2 or QC3 charger (from Anker for example).  Like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Charge-Charger-PowerPort-PowerIQ/dp/B01IUSYF8G/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1...

https://www.anker.com/products/variant/powerport-speed-2-ports/A2025111

Power consumption will vary between 0.5W and ~20W if only a single device is plugged in.

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router (US)
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7