× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: Nighthawk M1 Drops Internet Overnight....why?!

agdodge4x4
Luminary

Nighthawk M1 Drops Internet Overnight....why?!

I'm on week 2 of trying to get this device to work as advertised or expected.  I finally have it working as a pure modem.....kinda.

I have a TP Link Router that is my main home router.  The M1 has DHCP disabled, IP Passthrough enabled, and is hooked up to the TP Link via WAN port.  When it's working, it works perfectly.  The issue is that every morning, the M1 has dropped the internet connection.  This device is my primary internet and MUST have a continuous internet.  I am running it on a 2.0 Charger with the battery removed.  The fix is to unplug the M1 and plug it back in.  That's it.

How do I keep this thing from losing the internet?  When it loses it, my TP Link reports all zeros for the WAN connection.  It's like something sleeps but I cannot find any setting for it.  Please help me get this kink worked out.  Smiley Mad

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router (US)
Message 1 of 28
agdodge4x4
Luminary

M1: 192.168.1.1, DHCP Disabled, IP Passthrough Enabled

TP LINK: 192.168.0.11, DHCP Enabled (192.168.0.[100-199]), M1 plugged into WAN on TP Link

Message 2 of 28
Jimc91
Initiate

During my initial set up process it never pointed me to the auto sleep mode.  While I was just looking around in the settings menu I disabled the sleep mode and it now acts like a regular always on modem.  I have mine running an Apple Airport extrememe and an external 5ghz access point outside on a pole about 20' high that gives me wifi all over my two acres of property.

Spend some time exploring the settings menu.  Hope that helps.

Message 3 of 28
agdodge4x4
Luminary

That option is NOT available in mine.  It is likely that it is not available in IP Passthrough mode, which is how mine is set up.

Message 4 of 28
ArodiD
NETGEAR Expert

Hi agdodge4x4,

If the ethernet port detects there is nothing plugged in it will switch OFF.  You can tap the power button to wake it back up again.  By default on power up the ethernet port is active for 2mins.  If it detects something plugged in it will remain active, if it does not detect anything plugged in it will switch OFF and require a tap of the power button to wake it up.

Kind Regards,

ArodiD

Message 5 of 28
agdodge4x4
Luminary

The ethernet is the only way I have ever connected this device to my router.  When I have IP Passthrough set up and my main router is serving DHCP, the Netgear MR1100 indicated 0 connections.  When I hook up my Mr1100 via lan to lan and set my main router as an access point, the MR1100 seems to hold the internet connection OK.

I suspect there is a pretty sizable bug in the netgear software when using IP Passthrough and Ethernet.  How do we get someone to look into this?  I have all but confirmed the issue is isolated to the MR1100 while used as a standalone modem.

Message 6 of 28
UK-based
Luminary

Please see this thread: Nighthawk-M1-Ethernet-Port-Timeout and locate the post from ArodiD 2017-12-11 03:01 AM. He explains that there will be a firmware update in Feb, which will allow the Ethernet port to be permanently ON, preventing it from going to sleep. Hopefully this will solve your problem.

The firmware releases to the various mobile network providers, including Telstra in Australia, AT&T in the States, EE in the UK, are probably all slightly different from each other but I hope that all versions will implement this new feature to keep the Ethernet port active.

Message 7 of 28
agdodge4x4
Luminary

That's good news! How do we get a patch or beta version in the meantime?
Message 8 of 28
UK-based
Luminary

My guess is that a patch prior to the Feb firmware update will be unlikely because there are too many different parties/providers involved. But time flies these days... Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 28
agdodge4x4
Luminary

Well, my issue is only an issue when the router is set up to use WAN and IP Passthrough.  Otherwise, the ethernet connection is solid.

Is there any harm in using my router without a battery?  It is not used as a mobile router, so the battery would stay at 100% its whole life.  The telestra manual says you can remove the battery and use it with a quickcharge 3.0 usb plug.  I have an AT&T model, and my manual does not say that.  Can I still do it safely?  It seems to work pretty dang well without the battery and just using the USB cord.  Is that safe to do on my model?

Message 10 of 28
UK-based
Luminary

The Nighthawk M1 manual from the Netgear website states that the M1 can be run solely on the mains charger without the battery installed.

I'm based in the UK and my provider is EE. My boxed M1 was suplied with a Netgear 2A mains charger. (model: AD2037M20 type: B07LF). Since this is only 2A, I don't believe it supports either Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 or Quick Charge 3.0. When I attempted to run the M1 solely on this charger, it constantly rebooted. The reboots were often triggered by activity such as starting to download a file, where I guess more constant power would be required.

After doing some research it appears that the M1 includes a chip that supports Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 technology. So I purchased a good quality mains charger with Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0 technology, which is backwards compatible with Quick Charge 2.0. I also purchased a heavy-duty charge cable from the same manufacturer. When running on Quick Charge 2.0, the charger supplies 2.4A. When I check the M1's browser-based interface under Settings > Nighthawk M1 Status > Diuagnostics, I see that the "Battery Charge Status" is "QuickCharge", so the Qualcomm technology is clearly operating.

I've been running the M1 solely on this charger now for 7 days and the session has only been restarted once in this time - this may not have been a reboot - the session may even have been terminated by the provider.

By increasing the available amperage from 2A to 2.4A, the temperature of the M1 has inevitably risen. The browser interface indicated that the range was between 36degC and 41degC, rising to the latter with more networking activity. I don't know if this is within acceptable tolerances - I haven't been able to find any Netgear documentation to clarify this. Since the lifespan of electronic devices is generally improved by avoiding overly high temperatures, I removed the battery cover and raised the M1 a few centimeters off the surface to allow air flow around the battery compartment. I also carefully placed an old CPU heat sink on top of the M1 with some cling film between to avoid damage to the LCD screen. The use of the heat sink is probably "overkill" but I managed to drop the M1's temperature range by 5degC (31degC - 36degC), which I guess is well within acceptable tolerances.

Of course, replacing supplied equipment with non-standard equipment could impact your warranty. Also, there are many very poorly-designed mains chargers on the market that without doubt will damage equipment over time. So you do this at your own risk but if you choose a good-quality charger after doing some careful research, then my belief is that you will not harm the M1.

Message 11 of 28
gflynt
Aspirant

I’m waiting on my Nighthawk to deliver. If I decide to buy the charger you say is needed can you tell me exactly what it is and where you got it?

thanks,

George

Message 12 of 28
UK-based
Luminary

After reading a few messages regarding the need for a more powerful mains charger than the 2A charger supplied by Netgear, in order to run the M1 reliably without its battery, it seems that any 2.4A charger would probably work. However, as I stated above, it appears that the M1 has a Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 chip in it, so I looked for a charger that implements this technology. As I also mentioned above, there are many very badly designed, cheap chargers on the market that could potentially damage the equipment they're connected to. Using a non-standard charger with the M1 could affect your warranty. So I decided to pay a bit more and buy a charger that looked well-made. I chose an American-designed unit from Anker called "PowerPort+ 1", which is an 18W, single port, Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0 charger. I have no connection with this company and I'm sure there are many other reputable companies supplying good chargers. I bought mine on Amazon.

Anker have a range of different chargers most of which have multiple ports. One port was all I needed. Here's their website: https://www.anker.com/products/108/203/Wall-Chargers. I'm based in the UK, so the PowerPort+ 1 that I received looks slightly different from the photo on the site and obviously has a UK plug. This charger is backwards compatible with the Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 chip in the M1. Although these chargers are American-designed, they're built in China, as so many of our electronic devices are these days. While I haven't dismantled the charger, externally the build quality is excellent.

In order to maximise the power getting to the M1, I also decided to buy a low resistance charge cable from Anker. This might not be any better than the charge cable supplied by Netgear but the one I bought is very robust, being nylon braided, and is longer than the one supplied. You probably wouldn't need to buy a different cable - I'm just a geek Smiley Wink.

Since installing the Anker charger and cable about 6 weeks ago, I've been running the M1 without a battery 24/7. It has rebooted about 3 times in that period. More accurately, the internet connection/session has been terminated about 3 times in that period - I guess this could just as easily be the mobile network terminating the connection rather than the M1 actually rebooting. Prior to installing the new charger, my M1 was definitely rebooting multiple times every day - I watched it reboot immediately as I started downloading large files. I'm using both the M1's WiFi and Ethernet port (which is connected to an unmanaged Gigabit Ethernet switch that feeds 2 dual-band WiFi access points and an Ethernet-wired PC and printer), so perhaps my M1 is being pushed harder than others. I'm now very happy with this set-up. The one remaining problem is the Ethernet port going to sleep after periods of inactivity, but this will hopefully be resolved by a firmware update that according to one of the Netgear moderators on this site will be made available in Feb.

If you find this info of use to you, I'd of course welcome your Kudos Smiley Happy. Thanks.

Message 13 of 28
tangogreen
Aspirant

I was planning on picking one of these up and using the LAN for a vonage box for phone calls.  Until the firmware fixes the ethernet port for shutting down, are there any other options to use the port?  Maybe connect the vonyage off a separate access point off the wireless instead?

Message 14 of 28
UK-based
Luminary

I see no reason why you couldn't use the Vonage box connected either directly to the M1's Ethernet port or via an Ethernet connected switch. In my set-up the M1's Ethernet port doesn't sleep very frequently - I have access all day. Even when it does sleep, you only need to tap the power button once to wake it - after around 20 seconds you will have internet access again. You could try a WiFi connection from the M1 to an access point with your Vonage box connected to it, but I wouldn't have thought this would be necessary. Also, it seems the Ethernet sleeping issue may be solved in a few weeks' time so your worries will be over Smiley Happy.

Message 15 of 28
gflynt
Aspirant

Nighthawk came in today. It looks like it’s the same 2A charger that you have. Going to order the one you recommended to have if needed. Thanks again for your info!

Message 16 of 28
gflynt
Aspirant

Is this the one you purchased?

Message 17 of 28
UK-based
Luminary

Yes, that's the one. I'm in the UK so it's a 3-pin plug in my case but it's the same device. And thanks for the Kudos Smiley Happy.

Message 18 of 28
gflynt
Aspirant

Charger ordered. Hope it works because today, FIRST day, while unplugged the nighthawk dropped the internet. All I did to reconnect is wake it up with power button. This won’t work where I want to have it permanently. I have to decide if it’s going to work for me in the next 14 days, that’s the return window.  Fingers crossed. One would think Netgear would be concerned that Att is telling folks this is a powered on all the time internet unit! 

Message 19 of 28
UK-based
Luminary

The upgraded charger won't prevent the Ethernet port from going to sleep if there's no activity on it, as I mentioned at the end of my post #14 above. But without the upgraded charger, you wouldn't be able to run the M1 without a battery, which you really need to do if it's on 24/7. However, a Netgear moderator explained in this post that a firmware upgrade in Feb will allow the Ethernet port to be kept awake. So those of us who want to use the M1 24/7 via Ethernet, sometimes locating it in difficult-to-access locations, hopefully won't have long to wait. In my opinion, it's a good device that just needs a few modifications to make it great.

Message 20 of 28
gflynt
Aspirant

Not what Att says. I want to connect a video camera and also a nest thermostat to it in a second home when Im gone. I’m guessing now this won’t work either. 

Message 21 of 28
gflynt
Aspirant

I did however just find where I can turn the sleep mode off. Maybe this will work. 

Message 22 of 28
tangogreen
Aspirant

So, I’m going to leave this thing plugged in all the time and don’t plan to use the Ethernet port for a while. Do I have to remove the battery or leave it in? Is the charger good enough if I leave the battery in? I have disabled the sleep mode on WiFi.
Message 23 of 28
UK-based
Luminary

Are they both going to connect to the M1 via Ethernet? There's a setting in the M1 to prevent the WiFi sleeping so if you can connect via WiFi instead, that should work. When using the web-based interface it's in Settings > Setup > Wireless > Global Wireless Settings > WiFi Standby: Disabled. Alternatively, in the Netgear app, the option is under Settings > WiFi > Sleep: Disabled.

When the Ethernet timeout issue is solved in the coming weeks, you should be able to revert to Ethernet if it's preferable to WiFi for your video.

Message 24 of 28
gflynt
Aspirant

I also plan to leave on and plugged in. Refer to this post at top for a suggestion on using a different power plug and leaving battery out. I’m hoping this works. Let ya know. 

Message 25 of 28
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 27 replies
  • 10 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7