× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Nighthawk M1 Ethernet Port Does not reinitialise after power outage

metromale2705
Aspirant

Nighthawk M1 Ethernet Port Does not reinitialise after power outage

Greeting Netgear Community. Newbie to this forum here. (please be gentle)

I purchased a Netgear Nighthawk M1 through Telstra 1 week ago to run ARLO BaseStation for my home camera security system

My house is in Melbourne, and I have relocated to Brisbane.

I Installed the Nighthawk, updated Firmware to latest (as at April 8th) and all was working fine.

A few days later there was a power outage for 3 hours (some local storm activity) and consequntly Telstra 4G was offline for "upgrades" for 3 days.

Since then the M1 has been "offline"

I checked with Telstra (several times) and they now say the service issue is resolved and the network shows ok on their test equipment

However... I have been reading on a US chat site that there is a firmware issue with their version of the M1 that causes the ethernet port to not reinitialise after a power failure, and the only workaround is to physically turn the modem on and off. Then the ethernet port reinitialises. Voila !

The issue I have is that the modem is 2000 KM away from me to test that theory.

Is there any way that the modem can be reinitialised to ensure the ethernet port works or another workaround?

Are you aware of this issue in Australia? Perhaps I have a dud one?

Any advice would be appreciated as Telstra have been  - as predicted  - useless.

thanks all

Kind Regards

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router (AU)
Message 1 of 6
MAGADE
Guide

Re: Nighthawk M1 Ethernet Port Does not reinitialise after power outage

Hi sorry for my english but is not my native nalguage. So , witch version is your firmware. Have you desactiveted the stanby mode of the ethernet port?

Message 2 of 6
JasonN
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi metromale2705,

Is your M1's firmware up-to-date with the most current version? There was a new firmware release a few days ago. If not, please refer to the link below for steps to update. Have you done a factory reset on your device after your update? 

Please let me know if this fixed your issue.

https://kb.netgear.com/000055962/Why-can-t-I-see-data-usage-on-my-Telstra-Nighthawk-M1

- Jason N

Message 3 of 6
metromale2705
Aspirant

Hi Jason and Community. Thankyou for your prompt responses.

Unfortunately I am unable to check, as the Router is located in Melbourne Australia, I am now in Brisbane Australia - some 2000km away.

When I initially installed the M1, I did install the latest firmware available as at @ 7th April, but from your advice it appears a second update has been issued?

I'm still not confident from the release details that the latest firmware resolves the issue I have described (ethernet port not reinitialising after power outage/battery exhausted, unless device is manually cycled power off/on when power is restored)

I was hoping that Netgear could provide me a way to remotely access this device and perform resett or an OAU. The alternative is for me to spend $700 on airfares and taxi's to fly back to Melbourne to upload firmware and press the on/off button ! I was totally relying on this device to solve my security issues, but it appears I will have to return it to Telstra as not fit for purpose and go back to a hardwired device.

Message 4 of 6
MAGADE
Guide

if you can process a Remote connexion on a computeur in your LAN, ( like teamviewer or other stuff like that), you will be abble to access to the web interface. If your Pc is shutdown, only if you configured a WOL (Wake On Line) you will be abble to start your pc remotly before take controle of your LAN.

Message 5 of 6
JasonN
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi metromale2705,

Unfortunately, the only way is to physically turn the device back on and do the manual update.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. :]

- Jason N

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7