× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: Nighthawk M1 Ethernet Port Timeout

Hindmarsh
Initiate

Nighthawk M1 Ethernet Port Timeout

Hi,

We have a M1 Router which we are testing before purchasing more. Everything that we use if for seems ok with one exception. The Ethernet port seems to go in to some standby mode after reboot or a period of being disconnected and reconnected. The workaround for this is to press the power button which wakes the device up, however this will not work for us. This same behaviour happens after powering on the device for the first time. I.e. I must power on the device, wait for it to start up and then touch the power button again to get the Ethernet port to work.

I've looked in the settings and I cannot find any option that relates other than an option to stop the WIFI from going on standby, which I have also tried disabling to no effect.

I've noticed a bunch of other threads with people complaining about this issue, but they also had other problems so I didn't want to hijack their thread.

Are there any plans to fix this in a firmware update, and if so when? I’m willing to review a beta firmware. 

Thanks.

Model: MR1100| Nighthawk M1
Message 1 of 33
czj
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm having the exact same issues with the Ethernet port. After a complete night without much network access, the Ethernet port completely stops responding. I'm not talking about DHCP response, but simply physical Ethernet connectivity not happening at all.

I usually have to reboot the M1 completely to get it working.

Model: MR1100| Nighthawk M1
Message 2 of 33
czj
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have tried a factory reset 4 times before posting this issue here.

Message 3 of 33
UK-based
Luminary

Has this problem been solved yet by a firmware update? I still have the problem with the Ethernet port timing out. I guess you're on the Australian Telstra network. I'm based in the UK with a provider calleed EE. When new firmware is released by Netgear, there are probably different versions for Telstra and EE. I'm currently on version NTG9X50C_10.20.05.00 - does this look anything like the Telstra firmware release numbers? My M1 is connected to an unmanaged Gigabit Ethernet switch, into which I also have 2 access points connected, for Wi-Fi distribution. I'm running the M1 without a battery but with a more powerful mains charger equipped with Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0 technology (backwards compatible with the M1's Quick Charge 2.0). Before I replaced the supplied 2A charger, the M1 constantly rebooted when the battery was removed.

Message 4 of 33
ArodiD
NETGEAR Expert

Hi  Hindmarsh,

We will release a new firmware to the public around Feb 2018 which allows end user to disable the standby timer and enable the ethernet port permanently.  I will send you a PM with my details to discuss further.

Regards,

ArodiD

Message 5 of 33
UK-based
Luminary

That's great news, ArodiD - thanks for following this up. Will this new firmware version also be made available to EE customers in the UK?

Message 6 of 33

I am interested in further details as well, will the firmware be provided here on the netgear website?

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router (US)
Message 7 of 33
UK-based
Luminary

The fact that each mobile network provider appears to have a customized version of the Nighthawk M1 firmware would probably mean that firmware releases wouldn't be made on the Netgear site but would instead be automatically downloaded by the M1 directly from the provider. My M1 regularly checks for updated firmware - you can see this in the M1 browser-based interface under Settings > Administration > Firmware Update, where the date of the latest auto check was made.

I'm running my M1 as my main household router on an upgraded mains charger (with Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0 technology) and no battery. However, I've noticed that there's a warning on the Firmware Update page under the manual Upload Firmware section, saying "Software Update unavailable when battery level is below 20%". Of course, with the battery removed, the "Battery Charge Level" in the Settings > Nighthawk M1 Status > Diagnostics is reading 0%. So my guess is that when running on a mains charger without the battery installed, the M1 might never auto upgrade itself. In fact, I've just clicked the check for updates button and it's hanging with "CHECKING..." displayed on the button and below the button it states "Last checked undefined". So I may need to put the battery back in from time to time to check for updates and install them. If this is the case, I'll write another post to confirm it.

Message 8 of 33
UK-based
Luminary

The "Check For Updates" button mentioned in my previous post is working again, without having to reboot. I suppose the M1 might have been having difficulties contacting my provider's website. The function does a quick check and returns the message, "Up to date - Last checked (current date and time)". However, it remains to be seen whether or not the M1 will perform an auto firmware update when it finds a new version, if the battery isn't installed. It may be some time before I can confirm this - a Netgear Expert stated in another discussion that there will be a new firmware release in Feb.

Message 9 of 33
W4WN
Tutor

This is good news ArodiD! I've also been struggling with the ethernet port timeout. I would also like any additional information when available.

Also will the firmware be provided here on the netgear website?

Thanks

W4WN

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router (US)
Message 10 of 33
W4WN
Tutor

Any news on the new firmware?

Message 11 of 33
UK-based
Luminary

When I wrote my post (above) back in early December, I was on firmware release NTG9X50C_10.20.05.00. At the beginning of Jan it auto-updated to 10.22.03.00 (firmware build date 22nd Nov 2017), only after I had replaced the battery (I'm normally running my M1 24/7 on an upgraded mains charger without the battery). This version seems to have solved the Ethernet sleeping issue - I no longer have to tap the power button to wake the M1 from time to time.

There are still no options in the web-based or app GUIs to totally disable the Ethernet sleeping and force the Ethernet to switch on permanently after a reboot - hopefully these options will be implemented in a Feb firmware release, as indicated by ArodiD. The current solution turns on the Ethernet port after a reboot and keeps it on if there's activity and presumably termination.

Regarding the differences in firmware versions between countries/carriers and the limited support they are able to provide, I had a bit of a rant here, although I still didn't get a reply from Netgear.

Message 12 of 33
PerthPhil
Tutor

I am running current firmware and STILL having Ethernet timeout issues, despite Telstra assuring me it was already fixed.

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router (AU)
Message 13 of 33
UK-based
Luminary

What's the full version number you're currently on? It's interesting to compare versions in different countries for different carriers.

Message 14 of 33
PerthPhil
Tutor

NTG9X50C_10.16.04.04 and saying it checked for a firmware update 6/2/18 1:14pm

Message 15 of 33
TeeJay74
Virtuoso

That ethernet sleep mode is interesting, I haven't noticed it at all during during over many months testing period. When I have had active ethernet device connected to M1's ethernet port, no sleep mode at all.

Message 16 of 33
UK-based
Luminary

What country are you in TeeJay74 and which carrier?

Message 17 of 33
UK-based
Luminary

@PerthPhil- here's what one of the Netgear moderators said about the version you've got: When-are-we-getting-NEW-firmware-for-the-Nighthawk-M1. I think the version I've got is later than yours - its build date was in November. Hopefully you'll get an update soon. Sounds like you're going to have to keep the pressure on Telstra...

Message 18 of 33
PerthPhil
Tutor

Yes - same poster ArodiD also has confirmed new firmware to fix avail Feb 2018, although Telstra confirmed to me in October 2017 that it was fixed (clearly a mistake on their part).  Good to know that firmware version I have is not updated and also the version still causing Ethernet problems.

Interestingly the unit is ALWAYS plugged into power when the Ethernet goes to sleep.  Further, sometimes it seems to go to sleep in a funny way (Link LED still active but nobody home).  I suspect the issue is more complicated than they are aware and that a firmware upgrade may not fix all the issues 😞

Message 19 of 33
TeeJay74
Virtuoso

Finland and DNA.

Message 20 of 33
UK-based
Luminary

So what's the full firmware version of your M1 at present, TeeJay74? It would be good to see if there's any correlation in release numbers between countries and carriers.

Message 21 of 33
TeeJay74
Virtuoso

Firmware version: NTG9X50C_10.22.00.00

Message 22 of 33
UK-based
Luminary

What was the build date of that version TeeJay74?

Message 23 of 33
Hindmarsh
Initiate

I kind of abandoned this question a while back as we didn't get much of a response for a few months. Glad to see people are getting some benefit out of it.

We ended up instructing our site guys to press the button twice during startup. From this point forward the port remained up until the connected firewall was restarted.

At some point during last year (Aug 2017), version 10.16.04.04 was released to Telstra customers. This meant the port came online during the initial power on and the button no longer needed to be pressed during startup. We could also reboot our firewalls without having the port go down. The port will still, however, timeout after a period of time when nothing is connected to the LAN port. I checked a couple of spare routers we have sitting here for later versions but they still doesn't get anything beyond this point. So, the fact that people are saying there are newer versions, I assume that some have been withdrawn or the update process doesn't really work properly...

Logging in now, I realised that I was contacted by Netgear in Dec 2017 with an offer to beta test via PM. From the comments it looks like the full release is about to come out anyway, so I'll wait to see what happens.

I hope this post helps some people understand what our experience across about 10 devices. If you are in urgent need of a fix, perhaps contact Netgear support as there is a beta available.

Message 24 of 33
PerthPhil
Tutor

Very helpful Hindmarsh - and explains why I am still intermittently getting Ethernet port shutdowns afterI am running 10.16.04.04

I have the MR1100 patched into a Draytek Vigor3220 (WAN Aggregator) and have noted that whilst the port shuts down, it maintains link status (in at least some cases) and Draytek doesn't know what to do with it.  Interestingly I have had HUGE success and almost no adverse speed difference using the cheaper Netgear LB2120 modem which has no battery and a completely stable Ethernet Port. The LB2120 is a better fit for Optus SIMs as it also supports LTE Band 40 which has faster download but slower upload than Optus LTE B3/7/28.  This is a particularly good fit when the two are used together (MR1100 settled on B28 and LB2120 settles on B40 meaning the session-based load sharing on V3220 prefers LB2120 for sessions that are heavily upload and LB2120 for sessions heavier download)

Cheers

Message 25 of 33
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 32 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 13 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7