× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Nighthawk M1 Ethernet Port Timeout

W4WN
Tutor

Re: Nighthawk M1 Ethernet Port Timeout

Mine here are :

Firmware Version NTG9X50C_10.20.05.02

Build Date 2017/11/24

AT&T US

Hindmarsh that's hopeful news on a forthcoming update, thanks. I've pretty much given up on these as unlike others here I've had no luck whatsoever getting them to connect to any router or switch. I've tried all the tricks mentioned in this forum, even changing the MAC address of three different brands of router to MACs from PCs & laptops known to connect via ethernet to the Nighthawks. My suspicion is my carrier does not want these being used in this manner. If anyone has achieved ethernet connectivity to an external router or switch here in the States I'd sure like to hear about it. Netgear Support, if you're listening here I'd be very curious to try the Beta...

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router (US)
Message 26 of 33
WakeSS
Aspirant

My Ethernet port still goes to sleep on reboot and possibly even a cell tower change? Randomly occurs and connected uptime timer resets. 

This on new firmware on AT&T, version  NTG9X50C_12.02.06.00 and have Ethernet Sleep set to disabled.

Is this isolated to AT&T firmware? they added the ethernet sleep option but seems to not change sleep on reboot.

I have to connect to device via wi-fi, push button, switch data offload to ethernet (link light then comes on) then swith offload back off everytime this happens or I manually reboot.

Message 27 of 33
WakeSS
Aspirant

Anyone have any work arounds to have the ethernet port be active on reboot, loss of signal??
Message 28 of 33
martyw5390
Aspirant

I am having the same issue.

Firmware version NTG9X50C_12.05.05.00

Firmware build 2018/07/25

Internet Provider AT&T

We need the internet to be on all the time, but every 5-6 days, we will have to reset the router to connect to the internet again.

I have talked to AT&T Support about this several times and even changed out the Router and the SIM card, and the problem still persists.

I'm desperate for any solution since I had to go to my jobsite almost every weekend to reboot this and it's getting old very quickly.

Thank you very much in advance.

Message 29 of 33
JSchnee21
Virtuoso

Interesting, I don't think I've seen this Ethernet timeout issue on my AT&T Gen1 unit.  I'll have to setup a more extensive test.  I'm not using the Ethernet very often and usually keep it set to a 2min timeout.  When I disable the Ethernet standby, the battery seems to drain very quickly (dropping from 100% to ~25% charge overnight, versus from 100% to ~75-80%, if largely sitting idle).  But these tests have been while running on battery -- not plugged in.  And I wasn't supper diligent about checking to see if it could still pass data versus just having a link light.

If you power cycle the mr1100, while the Ethernet switch/router/AP is connected and powered, does the Ethernet come on and stay on on the mr1100 (mine does)?  If so, could you just take the battery out of your mr1100, use a QC3 charger (Anker) on a "lamp timer" and set it to automatically power cycle the mr1100 every night at like 3am (or 7am) for for example?

How long does it take for the Ethernet port to go to sleep / time out?  Does it have to be completely idle for this to occur?  Could you setup a small PC / raspberry pi / etc. to ping the IP address of the mr1100 every minute or so to keep it awake?

Yes, Netgear should fix this.  Have you created a support ticket with them?  I doubt AT&T will be much help.

Message 30 of 33
JSchnee21
Virtuoso

Hi @michaelfox,

If I understand you correctly, it sounds like you're using the Ethernet offloading feature, is that correct?  And LTE is not automatically kicking in when the Ethernet connect fails or is turned off?

The mr1100 wasn't really designed for failover in that scenario.  There are other cellular routers which are designed to be predominantly Ethernet but with cellular as a backup.  That's not so say it wouldn't / shouldn't work, but there's not a lot of people using that capability -- especially since you need to go into the admin page to turn it on and off.

The "offloading" capabilites of the mr1100 are not really extensively vetted.  It's somewhat of a niche capability that in today's age of cheap internet data isn't extensively used.  In the US, at least, many hotels don't even offer Ethernet in the rooms any more.  And the hotel Wifi is so slow and mismanaged that Cellular hotspots are much faster and more reliable in many cases.

Message 31 of 33
n2
Aspirant
Aspirant

i have downloaded a new firmware NTG9X50C_12.06.02.00 19 Dec 18 and my APN was set from telstra into local provider but still has this problem of disconnection and hanging up. How can this be fixed?

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router (AU)
Message 32 of 33
PeterV77
Aspirant

Hi ArodiD

I have a M1 (hardware version 1.0) and am using it as a modem for a R7000P router.

I have the same issue where router loses connection with the M1 after several minutes of inactivity (internet wise).

My M1 has firmware version NTG9X50C_12.06.03.00 and was working very nicely for the last few weeks, but this connection error started after a week of holiday and both devices where switched off. I have tried reseting both devices, but this does not help.

No other settings in the M1 has been altered, as changing anything (IP passthrough, DHCP server etc renders the device useless), i.e. it does not work in any other configuration with the R7000P.

The LAN sleep function has been disabled in the menu. Should I be looking in the R7000P for troubleshooting, or is this still an M1 issue ?

Any tips would be appreciated,

Peter

Message 33 of 33
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 32 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 13 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7