× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Nighthawk M1- Ethernet Port

mallinss
Aspirant

Nighthawk M1- Ethernet Port

Hello All,

I have a Nighthawk M1 devce and its working just fine, however I have a question regarding the use of the ethernet port... I have been unable to get this to behave in a manner that I would like, wondering if this is possible or not.

I would like to connect the ethernet port to another switch (8 Port PoE Switch that I have) to extend the network beyond the Nighthawk device, however I dont seem to be able to get this to work...

I'm not looking for a failover type setup, just the abilty to output the 4G internet connection through to the ethernet port for expansion.

Has anyone done this ?? Or am I just doing something wrong here ??

Regards

Steve

Model: MR1100| Nighthawk M1
Message 1 of 40
tomfoolery
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk M1- Ethernet Port

I'm not sure of all the details but there is something restrictive about the way the ethernet is set up at Telstras end. Ive been trying to get a simlar set up to yours running and it just won't work. I asked Netgear and they said to ask Telstra as the modem is set up to their standards. I've found that talking anyone at Telstra who has any real clue as to what or why it doesn't want to play ball via ethernet is, so far, impossible. Ethernet wont function with a splitter port or any consloes even when directly connected. I've found I can only connect to the internet via ethernet directly to a PC (Mac) and even then it seemed to take a few goes to connect....

Message 2 of 40
mallinss
Aspirant

Thanks for your response.... I totally agree with you, Telstra support have no clue and shame on Netgear for restriciting proper use of this port to satisfy some stupid Telstra requirement.... from my testing, I don't see any value in the ethernet port and therefore a completely useless device... IP passthorugh does not work either, even though it is listed a feature.... I hope there is a firmware upgrade coming, until then, its staying in its box.

Steve

Message 3 of 40
Wazzal
Tutor

I have a Telstra M1 connected to a Netgear R7000 via Ethernet without any issues. The M1 is replacing an ADSL modem on my existing network. The M1 has default settings other than wifi ssid/passwords. All network distribution is handled by R7000.
Now to get the Data Offloading to work with Telstra AIR???
Message 4 of 40
mallinss
Aspirant

Thanks Wazzal,

Thats interesting.... did you connect the M1 via the ethernet port or WAN port on the R7000 (Assuming the R7000 has a WAN port) ???

Steve

Message 5 of 40
Wazzal
Tutor

Connected M1 Ethernet to R7000 WAN.
Message 6 of 40
mallinss
Aspirant

I'll give this ago again.....surely can't be this hard 🙂

Message 7 of 40
Wazzal
Tutor

Steve
I suspect that the Nighthawk M1 Ethernet port does not access the Router functions available via wifi access to the M1? If you are using a switch, it's not designed to connect LAN to Internet/WAN. Still no Router function.
If you have an old Router or Modem/Router laying around try setting up your LAN on that device or connecting it in line between your PoE Switch and the Nighthawk M1.
Message 8 of 40
Colin-R
Aspirant

I have connected the M1 ethernet port to my DGND3700v2 (WiFi Router) WAN port port and all works well.  M1 provides internet access via it's ethernet port to the WiFi router and all it's connected devices.  However there is an issue with the M1 ethernet port.  I have noticed that when the M1 has a working / connected ethernet port, the M1 seems does not refresh this ethernet port's IP when the deviced is restarted (and even rebooted).  I found that I have to manually disconnect the cable and reconnect to get allocated IP.  Hopefully Netgeard read this and investigate and resolve ASAP.  If I change anything on the M1, I always check to see if the connected device DGND3700v2 WAN has been allocated an IP by the M1.  If not then I just pull and reconnect the ethernet cable. 

Hope this helps.

M1 has latest firmware NTG9X50C_10.12.02.01 

Message 9 of 40
stevesw
NETGEAR Expert

Wazzal,

Connecting a switch to the M1 ethernet port so that all other devices connected to the switch are assigned local IP addresses should work by default out of the box.

The M1 will act as a DHCP server for all clients connected to the switch.

Devices will be assigned local IP addresses in a configurable range (default: 192.168.1.20+).

This is same default subnet used by WiFi devices connected to the M1.

Note that you may need to try connecting the client devices to the switch after the switch connected to M1 and M1 running.

This is to ensure the client devices trigger a DCHP request to the M1.

Colin,

When you state "when the device is restarted (and even rebooted)", can you clarify if you are describing when the M1 restarts/reboots or the connected DGND3700v2 router restarts/reboots.

Thanks

Steve

Message 10 of 40
Colin-R
Aspirant

Hi Steve,

yes it is when the M1 restarts or reboots (restart due to port forwarding change and reboot from web portal).  Note the the M1 LAN to DGND3700v2 WAN is up and functional prior to the M1 restart/reboot.  From the DGND3700v2 you can see the IP change to 0.0.0.0 after M1 restart/reboot and not recover without maunal intervention.  Also note that prior to this issue I change the IP in the M1 to refelct subnet 192.168.10.x with DHCP On so as not to conflict with my existing home network which runs 192.168.1.x (as well as others). 

Steve is there a way to assign a static IP to the LAN port so that I can DMZ that IP ?  In the manual it says you can only DMZ an IP. 

Message 11 of 40
stevesw
NETGEAR Expert

Hi Colin,

Thanks for the detailed response.

I have been discussing internally and may have an idea on what you are seeing.

I will ask one of our support reps to reach out to you to gather further info.

Steve

Message 12 of 40
dcouchm
Aspirant

Could it be that a switch may work in the Etherrnet port if a cross over ethernet cable is used? All the evidence points towards the possibilty that this Ethernet port is a switched port and hence requires a crossover cable. Can someone test this?

Message 13 of 40
mallinss
Aspirant

This is not likely to be an issue due to MDI-X support, cossover cables are now mostly non existant due to this.. note that only one connected device needs to support this and in my case the switch I use does... I don't know whether the Nighthawk supports MDI-X, but I would be surprised if it did not.

Message 14 of 40
dcouchm
Aspirant

Hi, Well MDI-X is available in the switches I configure at work such as Cisco, however I am not so sure that it is available in SOHO devices such as the nighthawk M1. Yes, just one device supporting MDI-X should be all that is required. So I assume your switch works ok when plugged into the Nighthawk M1?  What brand/model of switch are you using if you don't mind me asking?

Message 15 of 40
mallinss
Aspirant

I have a couple of options, both a Netgear Pro Series switch and a Ubiquiti POE switch which is the one I would prefer to be using... I have not had time to go back and get this sorted, hopefully over the weekend 🙂

Steve

Message 16 of 40
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

I checked and POE switches will not work with the M1.

DarrenM

Message 17 of 40
Expobar
Aspirant

Steve

I have had the same issue as most others.  I am trying to connect my Nigthhawk M1 to a 16 port unmanaged switch through the ethernet port -

as I have hardwired all my rooms.

The installer has tested all of the connections from the central data point to the various rooms - and everything has been installed correctly.

I have bought a whole set of new cables.

Somewhow the NigthHawk M1 Ethernet port is not connecting to the switch.  And it is not working straight out of the box as you have indicated.

I am wondering whether the ethernet port has failed.  Used to work OK until last few days.

Thanks

Philip

Message 18 of 40
Expobar
Aspirant

Hi Wazzal

Please read my post to Steve today ( post 19 ). Can't get my M1 ethernet port to work with my 16 port unmanaged switch.

Have also read the way you have solved it and will try.  Have you connected your R7000 to a switch as well.

I need to create a network comprising of 16 data points.

Have just bought a 16 port unmanaged switch, but as am sure you will understand from my other post, my NightHawk M1 is not connecting to the switch so am not able to network.

So if I connect to  M1 to R7000, will I then be able to connect R7000 to the unmanaged switch.

Can I do this without needing to change any settings with the R7000 - or do I need to do a few things with it, and if so, what?

New to this, so need all the help I can get.

Thanks

Philip

Message 19 of 40
ArodiD
NETGEAR Expert

Hi All,

By default​ the Ethernet port is switched OFF on boot up. Plug the M1 into your switch then tap the power button once and the Ethernet port will wake up after about 4 seconds. I have tested with a POE switch for my Polycom POE phonr which works fine. Please note that once the Ethernet port has woken up, if you either unplug Ethernet cable from M1 or reboot the M1 you will be required to wake up the Ethernet port again with tap of power button. Please give this a try with your switch and let me know if you are still having issues.

Kind Regards,

ArodiD
Message 20 of 40
Wazzal
Tutor

Hi Philip
I only have the router connected to the M1. My M1is working only as a modem. I don't need the additional Ethernet so haven't tried a switch but it shouldn't be a problem. I can't remember the default configuration of the r7000 but the instructions with any router/switch should guide you through the combination setup. Try and keep the configuration as simple as possible until it is working and stable.
Message 21 of 40
Expobar
Aspirant

Hi Wazzal and ArodiD

Thanks so much for your assistance. 

I have tried everything.  I think there is a problem with the ethernet port - I'll take the M1 back to Telstra to fix or get a new one.

regards

Philip

Message 22 of 40
Philby12
Aspirant

Hi again, I didn't take it back, I did some more research, I forgot about function of the WAN Port on routers. As has been mentioned in this thread.

I reed some sugegsitons here what Router to use.

Would using a spare Netgear Cable Gateway Modem Router model  C6300BD WAN port work or?

Thanks

Phil

Message 23 of 40
O4ramo
Aspirant

Hi. I have 2 nighthawks and one works as described with Ethernet port wake up. The new one wakes for about 10decs and then nothing.
I am intending to use them both in a Meraki Mx 65
Is the 2nd m1 an RMA ?

Help

Tim
Model: MR1100| Nighthawk M1
Message 24 of 40
O4ramo
Aspirant

Message 25 of 40
Top Contributors
Discussion stats