× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: Nighthawk M1 Issues

Nighthawk M1 Issues

Good Evening:
I've got a Nighthawk M1 (Telstra Supplied) in use as the primary internet connection for a client as their Fibre Connection has been delayed.

Generally speaking the device works well and is fairly solid however we have a couple of issues

1) The Router occassionally locks up and requires to be rebooted (Disconnect Power Lead, Remove Battery, Replace Battery and Plug Lead in again).

2) When rebooting the Router via the Web GUI it doesn't re-establish a connection, unless someone onsite does the reboot procedure above.

I've got the Router operating in a very "simple" mode, Wireless Disabled, DHCP Disabled, Purely acting as a Gateway only via LAN.

If Support has any ideas for me, or updated firmware I'd be appreciative.

Model: MR1100| Nighthawk M1
Message 1 of 16
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello BusinessConnect 

I have sent you a Private message.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 16
Mark_at_LeSSS
Aspirant

Hi

I have a customer who can't receive  ADSL or Fibre at the moment, and also wants to use the device in this manner. Can you send me whatever you sent to BusinessConnect please?

Message 3 of 16

Mark:

I'd be very wary upgrading. I upgraded ours with the Beta Firmware and its pretty much "bricked" the Device. Connection remains active for around 60-120 seconds and then hangs with no Data Flow.
I've reverted to a Dovado Pro Router with a Sierra AC320U USB Stick Modem and that's been rock solid for 4 weeks+

Message 4 of 16
Mark_at_LeSSS
Aspirant

Hi,

Thank you for responding to my post. I assume that you were recomended to upgrade to the Beta firmware?

The speeds on this device are impressive, but probably far in excess of what my client realistically requires.  What are required is a secure and reliable connection.

Which router model did you select? Did you consider using one with an integral LTE/3G/4G built in?

Thanks for your help

Mark

Message 5 of 16

Mark:

I used the Dovado Pro AC because it has some good "Watchdog Features" when it comes to the 4G Internet.

It has Power Control to the USB Port... so if a connection drops it will actually power cycle the USB Port where the Modem is connected.

These Routers are really one of the view I've had a good solid expeirence with. Obviously the Aircard 320U isn't as fast as the M1.... but the client works well enough on 30mbps Up/Down..

Model: AirCard 320U (Telstra)|USB 4G (AirCard 320U)
Message 6 of 16
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello BusinessConnect

Can you PM me some more info on what is going on with the beta firmware that you tried to use and what was the version number.

Thanks 

DarrenM

Message 7 of 16
HaydenB
Initiate

Hi,

I also have the problem of the Netgear Nighthawk M1 router locking up and requiring a reboot to resolve.  This problem is occuring sporadically -- we can go for a few days without any problem, and then experience the problem every 5 to 15 minutes repeating for a number of times.

The Web and mobile app dashboards both show that the Firmware is up to date.

I'd appreciate any assistance to resolve this.

Message 8 of 16
sweete
Guide

since upgrading to firmware NTG9X50C_10.16.04.04 i have had issues with the internet. when i first turn it on and it is using H (as opposed to 3G or 4G) it works fine (although not as good as it was prior to the firmware) but once it swaps to 4G it is shocking. the only way to get it to go back to H is to reset it.

i also have a 4G advanced II which works fine. to give you an idea my tests from speedtest.net are:

Advanced II (upload\download) and carried out 3 times

13.42/10.20

12.06/10.29

13.47/10.37

NightHawk M1 showing Telstra connection as H with full bars

17.42/2.12

19.88/2.38

16.91/2.40

NightHawk M1 showing Telstra connection as 4G II bars

6/.12

11.89/.29

6.49/.26

apart from the obvious speed differences, i work in IT and do most of my work connecting to clients from home and using RDP. so i need a reasonable upload spee and .29 is **bleep**!

I have been using my 4gAdvanced II for the last few months but just thought I would give the Nighthawk another go but hmmm still not working. What do i do? as you would all be well aware TALKING TO TELSTRA IS LIKE BANGING YOUR HEAD AGAINST A BRICK WALL!!!!!

Netgear please help!!!!

Message 9 of 16

the update has turned many into worthless piles of poop, nobody will take responsibility for it.

time to get Tel$tra to step up and do something about it.

Message 10 of 16
ArodiD
NETGEAR Expert

Hi BusinessConnect,

Are you using the device in IP Passthrough Mode or are you manually disabling WLAN and DHCP and setting a static IP on the device connected to LAN port?

Message 11 of 16

Manually disabling WLAN & DHCP, Setting Static IP in the Device to act as the Gateway. 
Device hasn't been used for 3-4 months since I posted, I have factory reset and used the device as a default Hotspot no custom settings and its operating as expected.. haven't tried using it as the Main Office Gateway Since. 

Message 12 of 16
ajl
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a similar issue, the router can run for a day at the most, it then requires a power off, battery out reboot. The wireless service fails regularly, it can be five to ten minutes at a time. Then it may be an hour of wireless service, then down. Battery out, power out, reboot ahem.The device is essentially useless to us here.

Any clues appreciated.

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router (AU)
Message 13 of 16
ajl
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am having the same issue with this device. It may run for a few hours fine, then the wireless  service is inaccessible. It can be seen as a wireless access point but cannot be authenticated to, the error is 'Unable to connect to TPPW4G_1XY4.

The only fix is to unplug, remove battery, replace battery, replug, wait a minute or so, then it's back and working.

This can happen after five minutes or fifteen minutes or an hour, sporadically.

The firmward is up to date.  I keep having this vision of it spinning around as it sails through the air heading towards the river.

Message 14 of 16
HaydenB
Initiate

Hi ajl,

I share your frustrations.  It was also disappointing that I didn't receive anything helpful following my post on this forum.

HOWEVER, I did solve the problem, by getting a replacement modem.  This new one has barely missed a beat in four months of almost daily use.

I got my Nighthawk M1 in Australia through Telstra.  The front line customer support is unlikely to be helpful to you.  But if you go through them, and ask to speak to someone in the Complex Complaint Resolution team (based in Melbourne) then they have the capacity to resolve this by sending you a replacement modem.  For me, this process was really easy -- they didn't attempt to diagnose an issue, and implement any fix.  I explained that I had the latest firmware and had done a full reset of the device a number of times.  The CCR team member then simply confirmed my address, and shipped the replacement, which I received within a couple of days.

Returning the faulty one was a bit more complex, as I didn't receive a return envelope.  When my next bill came, I was charged the buy out for the first modem.  I followed this up, received the return envelope and then the buy out charge was removed.  This was a protracted discussion, mainly because I had not noted the name of the CCR team member that I had first spoken to.

Good luck ajl.  I hope that this helps you and others resolve issues with this product.

Message 15 of 16
ajl
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you HaydenB, great information.  I'll be chasing the CCR Team up in the morning.  Cheers!

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7