× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Nighthawk M1 (MR1100-100EUS) DNS domain suffix set to 'net'

thomas_s
Follower

Nighthawk M1 (MR1100-100EUS) DNS domain suffix set to 'net'

I recently bought a Nighthawk M1, and am generally happy with it. The performance is much better than with my old mobile router. However, it uses 'net' as the domain suffix for devices on my local network, which is highly problematic, and I can't see a way to change it.

The router itself uses the DNS name 'm1login.net', which is okay, since that is registered to Netgear Inc., so presumably doesn't interfere with anything else. However, a local machine called, say, 'internic' would override 'internic.net', making the latter inaccessible if the local machine is registered with the router's DNS server. If the machine is not registered, then an attempt to resolve the IP address of the local machine called 'internic' would instead return the IP address associated with the external 'internic.net' (registered to ICANN).

The 'internic.net' example is relatively harmless, but other .net domains might be owned by malicious entities, and accidentally accessing one of them instead of a local machine could cause problems.

Is there any way to change the DNS domain suffix used by the M1?

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router (US)
Message 1 of 2
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Nighthawk M1 (MR1100-100EUS) DNS domain suffix set to 'net'

Hi thomas_s

There is no option on the router settings page to change the domain suffix "net". You can also log into the router settings page via the IP address. MR1100 default gateway is 192.168.1.1. 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7