× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: Nighthawk M1 MR1100 questions

rnutter
Follower

Nighthawk M1 MR1100 questions

I am looking at getting either the Netgear LB1120 or Nighthawk MR1100.  For future proofing the MR1100 would probably be better.

Can I run the MR1100 without battery and use only the AC Power Supply ?  My concern is that I may go weeks or more without needing the device (looking mostly as an Internet backup at this point) and dont want to have to worry about a possible dead battery or one that wont hold a charge from keeping this from working.

I have a YouTube channel that I may use this for video uploading when doing on location videos but dont see that happening a lot at this point.

Is the MR1100 worth the difference in price ?  Any issues that you have run into that it would be good for me to know about ?

Thanks,

Ron

Message 1 of 2
TL_NTGR
Apprentice

Re: Nighthawk M1 MR1100 questions

Ron,

Consider the LB2120.  It is designed with fail over in mind.  It has 2 Ethernet ports, one connects to the home broadband service, the second is a LAN port.  Install the LB2120 between the broadband router and your home WiFi/network.  It will detect a broadband failure, and autoswitch to LTE for backup.  Once the failure clears, it will restore the home Internet to broaband service.  The LB2120 can also send you an SMS message when it switches from Broadband to LTE and back again so you can monitor the number of broadband failure events.

The LB2120  has an older cellular modem (Cat 4) than the Nighthawk M1 (Cat16) , but is still quite capable and can support 150 Mbps downloads (subject to the carrier's network).  The Nighthawk M1 can support upto a 1Gig cellular connection (again, subject to the carrier's network).  In my home office, my cellular connection is about 120 Mbps down and 25 Mbps up.  

On the M1, It does support an Off-loading feature but it's not an autofail over like the NETGEAR LB2120 product.

However, if you are looking to run your whole home cellular Interent (not considering the fail over feature), either product will work.  And yes, you can run the Nighthawk M1 without the battery in most cases.  

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router (US)
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7