× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: Nighthawk M1 MR1100 will not connect with Keepgo data only SIM

krisdev25
Tutor

Nighthawk M1 MR1100 will not connect with Keepgo data only SIM

For some reason I am getting a "Mobile Broadband Disconnected" when using a Keepgo data only SIM.  I can see that the Netgear Nighthawk M1 (MR1100) uses the AT&T tower.  However, it will not allow me to connect with the Keepgo APN (internet.keepgo.com).  In fact when I select that particular APN it automatically chooses another APN for some reason.  It will not allow me to make the Keepgo APN active using the Web UI.

Please take a look at the attached images.

NetgearNighthawkM1_LCD.pngNetgearNighthawkM1_WebUI_0.pngNetgearNighthawkM1_WebUI_1.pngNetgearNighthawkM1_WebUI_2.png

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk M1 Mobile Router
Message 1 of 26
TL_NTGR
Apprentice

@krisdev25 You have a device that was orginially sold thru AT&T.  Unlocked you can use it on other carriers.  Your APN config looks correct, but you need to select the radio button for your new APN profile.  Can you confirm that this was set?  And if the radio button is automatically returning to the AT&T broadband profile (which it should not)?

Also, the firmware on this device is very old.  Your running 10.20.05.02 which released on 12/12/17 and the latest is 12.05.05.14 which released on 2/6/20.  The difficult part, AT&T is in control of the firmware upgrade for devices sold thru AT&T.  I'm not sure if you can successfuly complete an upgrade if the device is not attached to the AT&T network.  Firmware might not be the problem, but it is and older version.

Message 2 of 26
TL_NTGR
Apprentice

@krisdev25 One additional suggestion.  Check the "Data Roaming" box as Keepgo roams on other networks.

Message 3 of 26
krisdev25
Tutor

Yes, I did set the radio button to "Keepgo".

Everytime, I reboot it goes to the APN just before it automatically.   At one point I tried it with Visible wireless and the radio button kept on getting set to the Visible wireless APN.

It seems that that Netgear Nighthawk M1 router is attempting to use the APN at startup and when it does not work, it defaults it to the selection in the list that is above it.

Message 4 of 26
krisdev25
Tutor

I did check the box next to "Roaming Data".  Did not help.

Message 5 of 26
krisdev25
Tutor

Where can I download the non-AT&T firmware to install on the device manually?

Message 6 of 26
krisdev25
Tutor

The manual option for updating the firmware is not enabled.  It is blocked.  Can I perform manual update using the command line or another method?

NetgearNighthawkM1_FirmwareUpdate_ManualOption.png

Message 7 of 26
TL_NTGR
Apprentice

If your M1 model is one that allows local upgrades, then the firmware is on the support.netgear.com site.  But if it truely is the AT&T version, then only upgrade option is via AT&T FOTA (Firmware Over the Air) servers.

Can you log into your device, once logged in, put this in the browser (http://192.168.1.1/model.json) and save the output to notepad and attached here?

Message 8 of 26
krisdev25
Tutor

Sure, I have uploaded the model.json file below.  This blog will not allow me to attach JSON or TXT files, so PDF.

This router is not bound by AT&T.  I mean it has been paid for and the contract period has been upheld and has since ended.  Therefore, this device is no longer bound to AT&T.

Can I enable the firmware update through a REST API and send JSON data to change this setting to update the firmware.

Otherwise, is there a command line tool from Netgear to connect to the device and update the firmware, to a generic Netgear firmware instead of AT&T firmware?  This is my wish.

Message 9 of 26
krisdev25
Tutor

Here are the instructions for a non-AT&T branded unit (but manual option not available):

https://kb.netgear.com/000061326/How-do-I-manually-update-firmware-on-my-MR1100-Nighthawk-M1-Mobile-...

I've also tried with TFTP with the command below, but not getting error:

C:\Users\krzys\Downloads\MR1100NAS_V12.06.11.00_00>tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put MR1100-100NAS_23113828_NTG9x50C_12.06.11.00_00_GenericNA_05.03.secc.spk
 Connect request failed

C:\Users\krzys\Downloads\MR1100NAS_V12.06.11.00_00>

Need to find another way.

Message 10 of 26
TL_NTGR
Apprentice

@krisdev25  Your M1 Nighthawk is an AT&T model.  Under the battery, your product is MR1100-1A1NAS or MR1100-2A1NAS.  Given the age of the firmware, your model should be MR1100-1A1NAS.   This is configured per AT&T requirements and will not accept FW other than approved by AT&T.  No need to continue to attempt 

MR1100-100NAS_23113828_NTG9x50C_12.06.11.00_00_GenericNA_05.03

As this is for the MR1100-100NAS (Retail unlocked) and is not compatible with your configuration.

Have you used this SIM in another device?  Are you certain the SIM is active and provisioned and not being rejected by the network?  This would cause this Mobile Broadband Disconnect message and is not Firmware dependent.

Message 11 of 26
krisdev25
Tutor

The device shows: MR1100-1A1NAS.  Please take a look at the attached photo.

The support person at Keepgo says that they received messages from my device, but no data.   I don't know what that means.

I spent 3 hours with these people changing the different settings.  I tried an Android phone with this Keepgo SIM and it doesn't work either.  They tell me it is my device settings.  Maybe it is because it is a "data only SIM".

If I purchase the latest Nighthawk M1 4G LTE Mobile Route from Netgear website, does it have automatic APN detection like the "AC2200 LTE Mesh Router (LBR20)"?

Is there a text log file I can take a look at which would show some errors with the device?

Message 12 of 26
krisdev25
Tutor

Ok, so I tried the Keepgo SIM on a iPhone 6 and it works.

It just doesn't work with this device.

Message 13 of 26
TL_NTGR
Apprentice

@krisdev25 

It is interesting that the SIM works in the iPhone but not the Andriod.  From the model.json, i see that the device is in limited service means it didn't attach successfully to the mobile network.  Also from the MNC MCC information, it is currently camped on the Verizon network.  From what little I know about Keepgo, they partner with AT&T.  Thus it appears to be a SIM/Authentication issue, but I can't explain why it worked on the iPhone.

My suggestion would be to have Keepgo provide a replacement SIM and confirm the account status on their side.

Message 14 of 26
krisdev25
Tutor

Ok, so I got a Android LG Nexus 5X.  It works.

Just like the iPhone 6, I had to turn "Data Roaming" to "ON" and set the APN to internet.keepgo.com.  Right away got internet. 

For both iPhone 6 and Android LG Nexus 5X I made sure I turned off the WiFi before placing the SIM in the phone and then testing the internet connection. 

Message 15 of 26
krisdev25
Tutor

Also tried it with Inseego Verizon Jetpack Mifi 8800L.  It works as well.  It picks the AT&T network automatically.

With this device, I didn't even have to turn on roaming, it automatically connected and showed the "R" symbool.  I connected a laptop to the WiFi and right away received Internet.

Please take a look at the attached images:
InseegoVerizonJetpackMifi8800L_WebUI.pngInseegoVerizonJetpackMifi8800L_Device.png

Message 16 of 26
krisdev25
Tutor

The main issue with the Netgear Nighthawk M1 4G LTE Mobile Router (MR1100) is that is automatically changes the APN setting after reboot.  Why does it do that?  Why can't it use the "internet.keepgo.com"?

The reason I like this device is because it has a physical RJ-45 connection.

NetgearNighthawkM1_APNChangesAfterReboot.png

Message 17 of 26
krisdev25
Tutor

Current firmware version is: NTG9X50C_10.20.05.02.
AT&T Firmware version available: NTG9X50C_12.05.05.14

When on click on "CHECK FOR UPDATES" it gives me a message "Current software is up to date".

They are blocking the software update.  Why is that?

https://www.att.com/device-support/article/wireless/KM1243913/Netgear/NetgearMR1100

Message 18 of 26
krisdev25
Tutor

Another update with this specific issue.  I purchase a Netgear Nighthawk M1 Mobile Router that is non-ATT or any other carrier branded.

It works just fine once I check the box next to "Roaming Data".  Please also look at the attached PDF.

NetgearNighthawkM1_NoBrandingKeepgoDataSIM_DeviceUI.png

NetgearNighthawkM1_NoBrandingKeepgoDataSIM_WebUI_Cellular.png

This has to do with the ATT branded device firmware.  It will not allow the Keepgo APN to be used.

Now, I need to figure out it this has to do with updating the firmware to the latest or unlocking the device.

Message 19 of 26
TL_NTGR
Apprentice

@krisdev25  You are correct.  I've tested the older FW 10.20.05.02 on the AT&T MR1100-1A1NAS and observe the same behavior you reported; that the device would not accept the custom APN settings and reverts back to the default AT&T APN profile.  I've tested newer AT&T Approved MR1100 FW and the custom KeepGo APN works fine.  Upgrading the FW would resolve the issue, however the MR1100 AT&T FW version is maintained by AT&T and there is not a method to locally upgrade.

Message 20 of 26
TL_NTGR
Apprentice

@krisdev25 You mention if this is related to your device being locked?  By default, the AT&T MR1100 Nighthawk is locked to the AT&T SIM.  Do you have a Bell Icon in the upper left when the KeepGo SIM is installed?  if so click it and see if it ask you for the unlock code.

Capture.JPG

Message 21 of 26
krisdev25
Tutor

It is not locked and also the "bell" just means it has notifications.  That is all.

Please take a look at the image:

NetgearNighthawkM1_SimSecurityAndBellNotification.png

Message 22 of 26
krisdev25
Tutor

I called AT&T and I have an open technical case with them for the firmware update:

NTG9X50C_10.20.05.02 (old)
NTG9X50C_12.05.05.14 (new)

I've been getting these messages so far with AT&T SIM:

"Last checked 1/8/21 9:06 AM"
"The session could not be completed and the device will automatically retry te check for an available update."
"Current software is up to date."

Please take a look at the screenshot of the firmware update messages:
NetgearNighthawkM1_FirmwareUpdateErrors.png

Hopefully, they will be able to push out the firmware update to me so I can get rid of this AT&T branded unit and use the Netgear non-carrier branded unit.

Message 23 of 26
krisdev25
Tutor

No one is willing to tell me why the software will not update.

AT&T support say that will push update and wait 24 hours.  Some of the technical people will transfer me to Netgear warranty replacement.

However, no one will say why this update will not work.  They won't tell me if the hardware is outdated and that I need to purchase a new hardware version.  They all want to be nice and transfer me to someone else.

Message 24 of 26
Tech_Dude
Aspirant

Were you able to get this to work with Visible?
Message 25 of 26
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 25 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7