× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: Nighthawk M1 Passthrough Mode

dastrix
Aspirant

Nighthawk M1 Passthrough Mode

Hi All,

I believe the M1 supports passthrough. Am I right in saying that when setup, the dynamically assigned IP from the telstra carrier in this case, would be allocated to the DHCP Client interface of my Pfsense firewall?

I need the M1 as a modem and need the IP to be allocated to the Firewall so I can do rules, nat, dynamic dns etc.

Thanks

Message 1 of 7
W1lliam
Virtuoso

When doing IP Passthrough, the host connected to M1 would be assigned with IP address dyanmically as private address (from M1), not the one from carrier.

William

Message 2 of 7
dastrix
Aspirant

So if the host is a pfsense firewall, does that mean the public IP is not  allocated to the firewall? if its a bridge, which is layer 2, where is the public ip allocated to?

Message 3 of 7
W1lliam
Virtuoso

The public IP is assigned to M1's WAN interface all the time.

William

Message 4 of 7
dastrix
Aspirant

Right, so its not a bridge as the device would still then be doing NAT, is there no way to run it in Layer 2 mode only?

Is there a device that is more suited, ie a 4G LTE modem that operates as a proper layer 2 bridge?

Message 5 of 7
W1lliam
Virtuoso

it might need Netgear to revise the firmware in order to support this so called bridge mode, not sure if they would consider this as many users also experiencing double NAT problem which could be resolved by supporting bridge mode.

William

Message 6 of 7
Smog
Tutor

Hi,

When you enbale IP passthrough on the MR1100, you indeed get the dynamically assigned IP from your carrier on the device connected to the MR1100.

Unfortunatelly, most carriers are doing CGNAT (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrier-grade_NAT). In this case, you are getting a private IP address from your carrier and you won't be able to do port forwarding to access services hosted at home. Some carriers have an option to get a public IP address.

You have a few options to overcome CGNAT, search on Google https://www.google.com/search?q=orvercoming+CGNAT. This invloves opening a tunnel from your home hosted computer to a server on the internet with a public IP address. You can use a VPS with OpenVPN Server for that, or any VPN services that offer such an option, o for free (for one random url to access one single port)  using ngrok.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7