× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Nighthawk M1 Semi Bricked after 10.16.04.04 Update

koom
Tutor

Nighthawk M1 Semi Bricked after 10.16.04.04 Update

I was prompted to update my device to the 10.16.04.04 firmware. This is where my issues started (why was such a horrible buggy firmware released, judging by the posted topics on this forum and on many others).

The network speeds slowed right down, sometimes the 4g connection died competely and had to reset itself. 

Now, when I turned on the device today, i was greeted with a spinning circle icon on it. It was non functional (no wifi or lan access). No amount of factory resetting at the back of the unit fixed it.

I managed to plug it into a lan port and continued to spam the reset button at the back, this brought up a connection to my desktop with  no internet access and the spinning circle on the screen continues. Great. It detects a telstra network, but does not connect to it. No internet access at all. 

I played around with every setting on the device, and the one that made the device work over usb tether/lan was by setting the IP Passthrough option to ON. The spinning circle has now disappeared and the LCD screen has all the usual info on it as normal. While this allows the 4g connection to connect, it is still horribly slow, and the wifi does not work (due to it being in IP passthrough mode). I've done a factory reset from the web browser, however this just brings back the spinning circle on the LCD with no internet access. Turning IP passthrough mode back on brings the device back to life.

I've tried everything to have it working again. All I want to do is roll back the update to the previous version which was working perfectly. I regret clicking the update firmware button as all it has done is brought headaches to me. 

Could someone from tech support please advise where I can get the firmware SPK files to upload to the device? Seems pointless to have the option in the menu and no firmware downloads on the netgear m1 support site itself.

Model: MR1100| Nighthawk M1
Message 1 of 7
koom
Tutor

Re: Nighthawk M1 Semi Bricked after 10.16.04.04 Update

So no reply or support? Telstra are useless and dont have the ability to push a new firmware update out to my device. Is there anyway I can get the firmware file to simply upload it myself???? Is this too much to ask in this day and age of technology?

Message 2 of 7
koom
Tutor

So no reply or support? Telstra are useless and dont have the ability to push a new firmware update out to my device. Is there anyway I can get the firmware file to simply upload it myself???? Is this too much to ask in this day and age of technology?

Message 3 of 7
ArodiD
NETGEAR Expert

Hi koom,

Sorry to hear about your experience.  I have sent you a PM.

Kind Regards,

ArodiD

Message 4 of 7

has anyone managed to get the old firmware back?

mine is exactly the same...

Message 5 of 7
koom
Tutor

nope, they want me to send the unit back which I cant do (living in remote area + it's for my business which requires internet access). can't believe we can't be sent a firmware file for a device which allows user uploadable firmware (in the settings). 

Message 6 of 7

Yeh got the same from Telstra shop. Told her unless she could guarantee a return date I couldn't as we are travelling and can't be waiting weeks for its return. Does anyone from Netgear monitor this forum?

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7