× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Nighthawk M1 Strict NAT on PS4

Korrag
Follower

Nighthawk M1 Strict NAT on PS4

Apologies in advance if I put this in the wrong place on the forums! I didn't see a dedicated Mobile Router / Hotspot area.

I just recently purchased the Nighthawk M1 for use as an alternative to home internet, I live a bit of an alternative lifestyle that prevents me from getting my hands on DSL or more conventional means of network solutions. The issue is that I tend to play a decent amount of games at home, it's my primary passtime, and the router Defaults to Strict NAT and it's become problematic. I've followed a number of guides and instructionals to solve the issue, but so far nothing has worked, not Port Forwarding, not setting the PS4 to a DMZ exception, not plugging in the CAT 5 cable and connecting manually. 

Now not every game has problems when I use it, to be fair, but some of the ones I want to play the most won't even get through matchmaking, much less load players in the lobby, so it's a bit frustrating to say the least. As I understand it, the NAT type is based on the Router (in this case the Nighthawk M1) and not the service provider, so I wanted to make sure I probed the Netgear community before doing anything drastic. 

I tested with my Smartphone's Hotspot functionality (I operate through T-Mobile) and the NAT type defaults to Open NAT, but it's network speeds as a Hotspot are pitiful at best and can't really give me the performance that I need, so I'm in a bit of a pickle.

I'm open to any possible advice and/or solutions that could turn this around, I otherwise really like the device and would really rather not return it and suffer Best Buy's $40 restocking fee just to get a different Router (although I'd probably do more research next time, haha). If it IS more to do with AT&T and their Carrier Grade NAT, that'll be an eeeeeasy fix. 

Thanks for your time and I look forward to your input, thank you!

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk M1 Mobile Router
Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Nighthawk M1 Strict NAT on PS4

Please post about this in the mobile routers forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Mobile-Routers-Hotspots-Modems/bd-p/aircard

Good Luck. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply