× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: Nighthawk M1 WiFi sporadically disconnects - Part 2

Whodo
Guide

Nighthawk M1 WiFi sporadically disconnects - Part 2

This is a follow-up to the topic Nighthawk M1 WiFi sporadically disconnects. After working with tech support, it was determined that my hardware was defective so a replacement was sent (for the cost of shipping). Unfortunately, the replacement did not resolve the issue of the WiFi sporadically shutting down. To recap, WiFi will stop transmitting for a minute or two, then restart even though WiFi standby is disabled.

I now believe this is due to a defect in firmware revision NTG9X50C_12.05.05.00. It appears that when a notification is displayed on the device, WiFi will shut down while the notification is displayed. When I remove the battery, for example, the situation improves because I am no longer seeing notifications that the battery is 100% charged. I have been monitoring this for the past several weeks, and when WiFi shuts down, indeed there is a notification being displayed.

Regards,

~ Varan

P.S. This is an unlocked device being used on AT&T's network. Also, I just upgraded to firmware revision NTG9X50C_12.06.07.00 and I will report back whether or not that helped.

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk M1 Mobile Router
Message 1 of 11
Whodo
Guide

It has been one week since I updated the firmware. There have been no WiFi disconnects since. The firmware update appears to have resolved the sporadic disconnect problem seen with the previous version of firmware.

~ Varan

Message 2 of 11
Viewpoint
Aspirant

Having a similar issue immedately after updating to the newest 12.06.08 firmware.  It has not resolved yet.  It's not the network.  I can take the sim out and use in another device, it works great, put it back in the MR1100 and it drops internet after a few minutes even though it shows connected in the dashboard.  

Message 3 of 11
RonOnThePond
Aspirant

I also have had internet connectivity problems with   NTG9X50C_12.05.05.00, but when I try to update the firmware the Nighthawk tells me there is none, that "Software is up to date." Where / how did you get the newer firmware? How did you update yours?

Message 4 of 11
Whodo
Guide

Thanks for the warning. This update appeared on my M1, but I did not install it, nor will I. I have had zero disconnects since updating to 12.06.07.

Message 5 of 11
Whodo
Guide

There was a notification on my M1 that a new firmware revision was available, asking if I wanted to install it (as there currently is for 12.06.08), but you can also find downloads here:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/MR1100.aspx#download

Curious that Netgear shows 12.06.08.00 as the current version and 12.05.05 as the previous version. What happened to 12.06.07? That is version that I was lucky enough to install:

firmware.jpg

A few days after I installed it, there was another notification that 12.06.08 is available, but from these posts, it appears 12.06.07 is the only one that does not experience the sporadic disconnect problem. Dear Netgear, care to comment?

~ Varan

Message 6 of 11
RonOnThePond
Aspirant

About 12.06.07, I noticed "wishing" says that it was a "termporary" release, whatever that means. So I'm still undecided about whether to see if 12.06.08 solves my problem, although I'm not sure there's any realistic choice. The same post from "wishing" also indicates weaker signal. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Mobile-Routers-Hotspots-Modems/Netgear-Nighthawk-m1-MR1100-Firmware...

@Whodo wrote:

There was a notification on my M1 that a new firmware revision was available, asking if I wanted to install it (as there currently is for 12.06.08), but you can also find downloads here:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/MR1100.aspx#download

Curious that Netgear shows 12.06.08.00 as the current version and 12.05.05 as the previous version. What happened to 12.06.07? That is version that I was lucky enough to install:

firmware.jpg

A few days after I installed it, there was another notification that 12.06.08 is available, but from these posts, it appears 12.06.07 is the only one that does not experience the sporadic disconnect problem. Dear Netgear, care to comment?

~ Varan

Message 7 of 11
Viewpoint
Aspirant

My connectivity problem started the second i rebooted with 12.06.08.  I've downloaded 12.06.07 and 12.05.05 and the router will not let me downgrade, gives error 16.  Now something i've noticed, my connectivity shuts down every 2-5 minutes.  UNLESS, my son is streaming movies, in this case it stays connected the entire time, 1-2 hours. So, I think there  may be an error in the standby coding.  Today, I'm trying to keep a radio station streaming in the background to see if this may alleviate my issue.  

Message 8 of 11
Viewpoint
Aspirant

Mine auto updated.  It also refuses to let me downgrade. 

Message 9 of 11
Viewpoint
Aspirant

Streaming a radio station in the background kept my internet going all day. I think there’s a bug in the standby. I had internet for 6 hrs, as soon as the streaming player stopped I lost internet within a minute or two. At least I have a fix.
Message 10 of 11
Whodo
Guide

Have you disabled WiFi standby?
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation