× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: Nighthawk M1 WiFi sporadically disconnects

Whodo
Guide

Nighthawk M1 WiFi sporadically disconnects

Greetings,

I recently purchased a new Nighthawk M1 to replace my previous Netgear LTE hotspot. The previous hotspot was an excellent product, but I was hoping to boost my bandwidth by taking advantage of carrier aggregation. The M1 is only being used plugged into its wall charger in one static location. Firmware revision is NTG9X50C_12.05.05.00. Only 2.4 GHz WiFi is being used, but I experienced the same problem using 5 GHz. The USB port is set to charge only and WiFi standdby is disabled.

The problem I am seeing is that the WiFi signal will somewhat randomly disappear for a few minutes, then return. For example, today it went away at 10:46 am, 12:49 pm and 1:16 pm. The channel is set to auto. This is frustrating to the point of wanting to return the device while I can still get a full refund. I never experienced this with the hotspot it replaced. Any suggestions? Perhaps a different bandwidth or channel setting?

Regards,

~ Varan

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk M1 Mobile Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
ArodiD
NETGEAR Expert

Hi Varan,

There are 2 things you can do to boost your WiFi and stop the WiFi from going to sleep.  Please see below:

Go to Settings>Setup>Wireless via the WebUI and set WiFi Standby to 'Disabled' and WiFi range to 'Long' under Global Settings.

Regards,

Arodi

Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
ArodiD
NETGEAR Expert

Hi Varan,

There are 2 things you can do to boost your WiFi and stop the WiFi from going to sleep.  Please see below:

Go to Settings>Setup>Wireless via the WebUI and set WiFi Standby to 'Disabled' and WiFi range to 'Long' under Global Settings.

Regards,

Arodi

Community Team

Message 2 of 5
Whodo
Guide

Hi Arodi,

WiFi standby already was disabled. I changed its range to long and will respond in a few days to let you know if it resolved the issue. Thank you.

Regards,

~ Varan

Message 3 of 5
Whodo
Guide

Setting WiFi standby to disabled and its range to long did not resolve the problem. Two or three times a day during normal working hours, WiFi will dissappear for a few minutes, resulting in all connected devices being disconnected, then having to wait for WiFi to reappear to reconnect. My previous hotspot (AC797S) did not exhibit this behavior. Losing WiFi during working hours in annoying enough that I may revert back to the old device and return the Nighthawk M1.

Message 4 of 5
TL_NTGR
Apprentice

Whodo,

Can you provide input if you are running single band WiFi (Either 2.4 or 5 GHz) or are you running Dual band (both 2.4 and 5 GHz) radios enabled but just connecting the client to one of the radios.

There are a 3 options in the WiFi Profiles, and understanding your config is important

2.4  GHz only

5 GHz only

2.4 and 5 GHz

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7