× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: Nighthawk M1 battery charging problem

The_Mule1987
Tutor

Nighthawk M1 battery charging problem

Hi there , I recently bought the unlocked version of the m1 nighthawk router and it was great 3 days ago . Suddenly , a charging issue started to occur with no reason , when my battery died I plugged my router to a wall power socket and then I was shocked that the battery had charged until 97 % and did not complete 100 % . I then removed the battery and returned it back and then plugged back the router to the charger and still it does not charge beyond 97 % . So is there any solution to my problem ? .
Model: MR1100|Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router (US)
Message 1 of 19
TeeJay74
Virtuoso

I have seen this happening with several MR1100-100EUS devices. I have reported this to Netgear and some investigation is going on, no results yet.
Message 2 of 19
TeeJay74
Virtuoso

I managed to get full 100% charge after complete discharge/recharge cycle which took some time.

Message 3 of 19
The_Mule1987
Tutor

Did you experience a non full charge before , if yes then what exactly did you do to fix the problem . I never charged my router before battery completely shutdown. I always charge when the battery is dead and still I don’t get a full charge
Message 4 of 19
TeeJay74
Virtuoso

Yes, I have experienced this before, but now issue came back again, battery charge again 97%. 

Message 5 of 19
TeeJay74
Virtuoso

It is possible to display 86 lines of information about M1's battery and charging which clearly indicates that Netgear takes product safety considering battery very seriously.

Message 6 of 19
The_Mule1987
Tutor

I didn’t get your point , what are you trying to say ? Please clarify your statement.
Message 7 of 19
TeeJay74
Virtuoso

The industry has learned  lessons from Samsung Galaxy Note 7 battery fiasco and manufacturers do not take any risks with Li-ion batteries. So with enough data from battery and charging process makes possible precise software control.

Message 8 of 19
The_Mule1987
Tutor

And what this has to do with the battery problem for not completing the charging to 100 % ?
Message 9 of 19
TeeJay74
Virtuoso

For best battery performance, life and safety, charging sequence cannot work anyhow. It has to work perfectly. This is not the situation right now, but Netgear has tools to fix the problem.

Message 10 of 19
The_Mule1987
Tutor

You are trying to say that my problem is actually normal ? . I don’t think so cause it doesn’t make any sense that a battery is unable to charge full 100% . Second thing , is the main cause of the problem a software or the hardware ?
Message 11 of 19
TeeJay74
Virtuoso

Wait for firmware fix, you are not the only one with this problem.
Message 12 of 19
ErnestTheGreat
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@The_Mule1987

Can you describe how you have your MR1100 setup, how devices are connected and in what type of environment are you using the device in? i.e. Do you have device connected to WiFi only or is there devices connected to Ethernet port and USB port as well. Do you have SD card inserted in your MR1100? Also when the MR1100 battery reached certain temperature it will stop charging for safety reason? Can you provide the screenshot of the battery and device temperature when you see the battery 97% charged? (You can find this on the same page where the battery charging level is displayed). It is possible that when you battery reaches 97% that it gets too hot to charge thus cutting the charging off?

Message 13 of 19
TeeJay74
Virtuoso

Today I have tested a  Netgear solution for this problem and it worked well.

It is device parameter thing, BatLevRechgNorm parameter has to be changed from value 99 to 96, then battery charge is back to 100%. This fix will be included into next firmware release.

Message 14 of 19
chosos
Aspirant

is there an ETA on this firmware? Will it also correct the non-charging issue where the devices will not charge if they are at 44 degrees? 

My device is used heavily and it seldom charges full. My battery is typically completely dead. I have also tried other QC3.0 supported chargers. Nothing seems to help.

Message 15 of 19
TeeJay74
Virtuoso

I do not know when next FW is coming out.

Temperature limits:

BatCritTemp - 57

BatHotTemp - 45

BatColdTemp - 1

If battery is hot it is quite obvious that it affects charging. It is better be careful with Li-ion batteries.

Message 16 of 19
chosos
Aspirant

i was able to resolve my charging issues. I simply set the nighthawk upside down on my desk with the back cover off. it now stays completely cool. I may try and build some type of heatsink for this or 3d print some type of solution, as it seems to clearly be tied to temps as it has maintained a full battery charge for the past week. 

Message 17 of 19
JSchnee21
Virtuoso

While I agree it's better to be safe than sorry with regard to Lithium Ion battery safety.  It seems the MR1100 is overly conservative.  My iphone can get warm, even hot in my hand while charging, as do several of my Anker batteries.  The MR1100 seems very fussy with regard to temp, if the battery is even the slightest bit above room temperature it often won't change unless I open the back and let it air out.

I wonder if the thermisters which are used to measure the temperature either aren't placed in a good spot or are not well calibrated.

-Jonathan

Message 18 of 19
chosos
Aspirant

mine has been running over a week flipped over with the cover off, with the same or more usage as before and it is significantly cooler. it has ZERO issue holding a charge now.

I wonder if i could just drill vent holes into the battery cover to help it breath. the whole thing is sealed up with no venting. it seems to be a design flaw if it needs to actually breath - no wonder if it overheating. 

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7