× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: Nighthawk M1 ethernet port not working

tdblanchard
Initiate

Nighthawk M1 ethernet port not working

I finally got around to hooking up my M1 at the farm house where we intend on using it yesterday.
One issue I was having was connecting an AC1750 router to the ethernet port.
I was able to determine that the ethernet port wasn't functioning at all.
I unfortunately had to reset the M1 to its factory settings because I turned off the wireless radio prior to learning the ethernet port wasn't functioning.
It's back up and running now (40mbps down / 20mbps up!!) but I still can't get that darn ethernet port to work.
Is there something I'm missing?
Model: MR1100|Nighthawk M1 Mobile Router
Message 1 of 30
Djnickygs
Initiate

I am having the same exact issue. Went as far as purchasing an additional 2x nighthawk m1 and all 3 routers are having issue with the Ethernet port not working. I’ve called Netgear and was on hold for 2 hours with absolutely no help. Any time someone answered they transferred me to someone else.
Message 2 of 30
TL_NTGR
Apprentice

@Djnickygs @tdblanchard 

Hey guys,  Two things to check.  Log into the hotspots management page (web browser at 192.168.1.1) and in the Mobile Internet check the following settings.

USB - Charge + Tether <- Set this to Charge only as USB will take priority over the Ethernet connection.  This will force the tether to Ethernet

Ethernet Standby Timer <- Set this to disable.  Ethernet port goes to sleep on no link activity after 2 minutes unless disabled.

Hope this helps!

Message 3 of 30
Legends619
Aspirant

I have had the nighthawk m1 hotspot with the netgear mesh 60 router for almost a year with no problems. Now the ethernet port is not working ive reset everything to factory setting messed with every setting . No luck. I live in the mountains so this is my primary internet. The wifi still works but i need the ethernet connection to my router to get the range to cover my whole house. Help plz
Message 4 of 30
tdblanchard
Initiate

I'm not at our farm right now but the resolution that worked for me was in the M1's settings.

Something to do with the USB port settings. it wasnt at all intuitive but it worked. I'll dig for the actual setting in a few

Message 5 of 30
TL_NTGR
Apprentice

Log into the MR1100 (M1) web settings and setting the USB Tethering setting to Charge only and set the Ethernet Standby setting to Disabled.

Odd that this was working for a year and now not working.  Can you connect a laptop to the Ethernet port on the MR1100 and confirm it's working properly?

Message 6 of 30
Twitcho8
Aspirant

Anyone figure out this issue? Mine just all of a sudden turned off the ethernet port. It seems like the latest firmware could have done it? I’ve tried resetting to factory settings then changing usb to charge only and disable off. But still acts as if the port is complete dead.
Message 7 of 30
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Twitcho8

May we please know the device SKU (e.g. MR1100-100NAS)? This can be checked on the box of the product or on the barcode label

Do you have WiFi connection? 

What is the firmware version? 

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 8 of 30
Rbeard18
Aspirant

My MR1100 quit broadcasting wifi signal. I tried to connect via ethernet to access the modem, ethernet is not working either. Did Netgear put out a bad firmware update that has killed our routers? I've tried hard reset with power cord, no luck. Tried with just battery, no luck. How can I access my router/modem now with no access via ethernet or wifi??

Device sku mr1100 sku 6420b
Message 9 of 30
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

Please try the following to see whether it helps.

1. Make sure you power the device with power adapter. USB tethering and Ethernet can't work at the same time on M1. This is QTI design limitation.

2. Try setting the M1 in Bridge mode

3. Make sure connection the ethernet cable to your WiFi router's WAN port.

4. After connecting to the WiFi router, please power cycle M1 so that the M1 will assign a new IP to the WiFi router.

Please use a computer first to check your laptop can get the internet from the ethernet port before connecting to a router.

Thanks

John

Message 10 of 30
Rbeard18
Aspirant

Enlighten me on how I can change any settings when I can't access anything? I had the router plugged into the wall, and via ethernet to laptop , no success.
Message 11 of 30
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@Rbeard18 wrote:
Enlighten me on how I can change any settings when I can't access anything? I had the router plugged into the wall, and via ethernet to laptop , no success.

You can tether the device to your laptop using USB cable and make the changes first. Then you can move to Ethernet connection to see whether it will work.

You can also connect to M1 WiFi using a phone to make the changes. You need to install Mobile app on your phone first.

Thanks

John

Message 12 of 30
Rbeard18
Aspirant

Computer is not seeing router via tether. Can't use app as the device does not have wifi broadcasting. Doesn't even show network name or password on display.
Message 13 of 30
Twitcho8
Aspirant

A hard reset using the little button with a pin or something small should reset it and bring wifi back on automatically. Probably have to hold it down for a while.

After this original post I forgot to check back but a month or so ago my router updated its firmware itself and the ethernet started working again when it booted back up.
Message 14 of 30
Rbeard18
Aspirant

I did a hard reset. Didn't work. And firmware can't update itself if it can't connect to 4g lte or get access to the modem.
Message 15 of 30
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@Rbeard18 wrote:
I did a hard reset. Didn't work. And firmware can't update itself if it can't connect to 4g lte or get access to the modem.

Can you let me know your M1 SKU name? Seems right now, you can't connect to M1 using USB cable or WiFi at all?

Thanks

John

Message 16 of 30
Rbeard18
Aspirant

That's what I was saying in my first post. And sku was listed in first post.

Device sku mr1100 sku 6420b
Message 17 of 30
Pierrealex32
Aspirant

Ethernet connection was working and suddenly quit last month. I use this router to connect to my Nighthawk Mesh system and was working great but suddenly quit working.
Message 18 of 30
Lad58
Aspirant

Nighthawk mobile hotspot mr1100 at&t

ethernet not working

have tried everything suggested and net gear just told me to call back next day they didn't know anything 

I have only had it for 4 days and need to plug in an extender because it has no range compared to old one. This is second one I have tried. No luck  if anyone has a solution it would be greatly appreciated 

thank you

Message 19 of 30
TL_NTGR
Apprentice

Check the Nighthawk MR1100 and Extender IP address range.  If both use 192.168.1.1 then that's the problem.  Change one of them to use a different LAN network.  Example, change the Extender to use 192.168.2.1 then connect to the Hotspot.

Message 20 of 30
dalekrebs
Initiate

Changing the USB from charge + tether to charge only fixed the issue for me
Message 21 of 30
zamboni33
Tutor

@Rbeard18 wrote:

Same thing here. Can't connect to the app or directly to Ethernet to computer. No signal going out. No way to make any changes everyone is recommending because it does not exist, basically. But my ATT iscshowing 3 bars on 4G and 0 devices connected. LOL. 

Message 22 of 30
jimfire23
Aspirant

I have a netgear mr1100 plugged into the wall for power and with the ethernet plugged into the router. working just fine. when i remove the battery the ethernet loss concretion to the router. Do I need to take it back?

Message 23 of 30
jimfire23
Aspirant

did you get it fixed having the problem

Message 24 of 30
TL_NTGR
Apprentice

Make sure you are using the supplied charger block as other USB ports might not supply enough power.  What SKU of MR1100 is this?  Look under the battery on the label?

Message 25 of 30
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 29 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 13 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7