× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Nighthawk M1 external antenna connectors

ContiGT
Aspirant

Nighthawk M1 external antenna connectors

Hi folks

I am having problems with my M1 regarding external antenna signal strength - like no improvement! The tech lined the antenna up with the tower on the highest point on my roof but no result!

I have 2 bars signal strength operation in my living room using just the internal antenna but if I take the modem outside and stand inline with the tower location I get 4 bars.

I decided to have an external antenna professionally installed and when the tech connected it up the signal strength remained at 2 bars. I disconnected it and took it outside again to the same position I had 4 bars before and the signal strength jumped back up to 4 bars. The antenna is a Sierra Wireless Technologies Telstra Broadband WMM-8G-7-38-15-TS9.

Is there any way to tell if the antenna ports on the modem are functioning or do they have to be activated within the firmware. Any ideas?

Cheers

Chris

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk M1 Mobile Router
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
W1lliam
Virtuoso

Re: Nighthawk M1 external antenna connectors

The problem isn't on that antenna but the antenna port on M1, these two ports only designed for low bands (such as B1/3/8/28..,etc.), unfortunately your environment seems preferred on B7 and that two TS-9 port does not help on B7. There are 4 antennas inside M1, designed for different bands.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 10

All Replies
W1lliam
Virtuoso

Quickest way to validate if the external antenna works, take it with you to where you have 4 bars signal, without external antenna, and plug the antenna to see if signal dropped. Theory behind is when you plug external antenna into TS-9 port, the internal antenna will be disconnected.

You can also check on singal information from SETTINGS->Nighthawk M1 Status->Diagnostic, looking at RSRP, RS-SINR, Quality also Current Radio Band what is changing between with and without external antenna.

Message 2 of 10
ContiGT
Aspirant

Many thanks for the reply! I tried as you suggested and signal strength inside was -110db, moved outside to the area I get 4 bars and read off -88db. Plugged the antenna leads in and signal strength did not change! It stayed at -88db ( with +/-2db variation).

I purchased this unit as a "near new refurbished" item - it appears all is not what it seems!

Message 3 of 10
W1lliam
Virtuoso

Can you check on what is the Current Radio Band? TS-9 port does not support high bands

Message 4 of 10
ContiGT
Aspirant

Sorry for my ignorance but where will I find that info? Under diagnostics? What am I looking for?

Message 5 of 10
ContiGT
Aspirant

Sorry found it! LTE B7

Message 6 of 10
W1lliam
Virtuoso

Under Diagnostics page, check on Current Radio Band info

Message 7 of 10
W1lliam
Virtuoso

Since your M1 is now stayed on B7 as main radio band, adding extenrla antenna does not help. So, it might not be the problem on that antenna but TS-9 port can't do anything on high band, they all installed as internal antenna. Some people done rework with the antenna connection, you probably can try to Google for more information.

Message 8 of 10
ContiGT
Aspirant

Thanks for the info! Well that's $600 (antenna cost and installation) wasted. So the external antenna won't overide the internal. Its supposed to cover 3G, 4G, 4GX and 5G bands and a 9dbi gain!

I think I may have to have a chat with the Antenna Shop!

Thanks once again.

Message 9 of 10
W1lliam
Virtuoso

The problem isn't on that antenna but the antenna port on M1, these two ports only designed for low bands (such as B1/3/8/28..,etc.), unfortunately your environment seems preferred on B7 and that two TS-9 port does not help on B7. There are 4 antennas inside M1, designed for different bands.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7