× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Nighthawk M1 missing option to enable VPN

port16
Initiate

Nighthawk M1 missing option to enable VPN

Wishing to connect the Hotspot to my Corporate VPN, looked in the manual and the directions are to access the web interface, choose setings > Advanced Settings > Other

The only issue is there's no option to enable a VPN Service. The page has:

- VPN Passthrough

- UPnP

- DLNA

- DMZ

Am I missing something? What I want to do is have the devices behind the hotspot get VPN'd into my corporate network without any configuration on the client.

Any help is appreciated.

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk M1 Mobile Router
Message 1 of 4
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Nighthawk M1 missing option to enable VPN

Hi port16, 

Welcome to NETGEAR Community!

May we please know the device SKU (e.g. MR1100-100NAS)? This can be checked on the box of the product or on the barcode label. 

What is the firmware version? 

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 2 of 4
schumaku
Guru

VPN Passthrough means that most VPN traffic can flow over the router - from the client to the business VPN concentrator.

Far to many requirements for a "generic" business class VPN client on such a device - this starts from customized controls and protocols over certificates, passwords required to unlock private key on your certificate, 2FA integration ...

For the moment - when I have it right - all these mobile routers don't have any VPN client at all.

Message 3 of 4
port16
Initiate

I should have come back and updated this post, but it slipped my mind. I ended up working my way into a support call, and was told that the VPN client was removed from all fo the hotpots, which is a bummer, since it's advertised int he manual.

I ended up buying a couple of TP-LINK Safestream Multi WAN VPN Routers and use them to connect everything behind the hotspot to the corporate LAN.

I think that having the VPN as a built in option would certainly be useful, but alas, it's not to be.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7