× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: Nighthawk M1 rebooting randomly

eip618
Aspirant

Nighthawk M1 rebooting randomly

I got the Nighthawk yesterday. It is randomly rebooting itself even though it is connected to a consistent, correct voltage power source and will reboot whenever it feels like it.
I assume this is a software issue.

Model: MR1100| Nighthawk M1
Message 1 of 22
eip618
Aspirant

yes.

Message 2 of 22
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Are the reboots frequent?

DarrenM

Message 3 of 22
eip618
Aspirant

not really. but it varies. I can have an hour of operation, then a reboot, then twenty minutes then a reboot. It doesn't seem related to any variables like temperature or charge state, or network load.
Message 4 of 22
eip618
Aspirant

update: seems to only happen when the modem is actively charging
Message 5 of 22
eip618
Aspirant

update: only when the modem is tethering via USB
Message 6 of 22
poiter
Aspirant

Hi,  I have picked up a Nighthawk M1 today via Telstra and found that the device is frequently rebooting making the device almost useless.

The device reboots whether plugged into AC, operating off fully charged battery or plugged in PC via USB. 

The only changes to setup i have done are to disable the wifi standby mode and change the option for WIFI range to long.

Every time it reboots, it will take several minutes to restart and reconnect devices. The frequency of reboots so far is quite short, several minutes and multiple reboots within an hour. 

Very disappointing as I was hoping to would repalce my poor ADSL connection. I think this device will be going back to the Telstra store.

Any solutions to this? 

Hardware version 1.0

PRI version 02.15

Firmware & Bootloader Version NTG9X50C_10.16.04.04

GUI Version MR1HDATA_04.01.05.02

Firmware build date 2017/07/13

Message 7 of 22
BRoche
Aspirant

I'm on my 3rd Nighthawk from Telstra. 1st one lasted a week before it wouldn't turn on anymore (took 2 weeks to replace) 2nd one went into a reboot loop that you couldn't get out of and now my 3rd unit is doing frequent reboots under load via ethernet.

I have done a factory reset, and have latest firmware as of 25/10/2017.

I have a Xbox connected via ethernet (for netflix, youtube and games) and laptop via wifi. If watching netflix then try and do intensive network load on laptop, Nightwawk reboots. If I try and update the XBox (large download) Nighthawk reboots. Connect laptop via ethernet and try a speedtest, nighthawk reboots. So far I'm extreamly dissapointed with this device, I would hate to see 20 devices connected to it. I looks like the ethernet port just can't handle the load??

Also hoping this would replace my crappy ADSL+ 3Mbps connection 😞

Message 8 of 22
poiter
Aspirant

Update:

First unit was evaluated by my local Telstra store and found to be faulty.

They had intended to observe for themselves and then do a factory reset but were met with reboots and did not proceed further.   

Fortunately, Telstra made the choice to replace with a new unit.  I would not have expected less as the first unit malfunctioned immediately and I only had it 2 days. 

I have not sighted any unexpected reboots in the new unit and all seems to be functioning perfectly.  Fingers crossed.

It is a great device when working properly, but I did some searching online and given the number of reports of this unit rebooting/restarting, there must be a persistent fault/issue with the build quality of the units.

Message 9 of 22
Ray2017
Tutor

My nighthawk Mr1100 keeps rebooting randomly as others have found .

I have noticed (I move address often) it is much worse in a strong signal area.

In a very strong area it could be constant making it unusable, in a weak area 15 munutes to several hours before a re boot.

Please get the technicians onto this.

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router (AU)
Message 10 of 22
poiter
Aspirant

Ray2017 i would suggest that if you are able to, return your unit for replace or repair.   My unit was faulty regardless of location, and it seems like yours may be too.... just a change of frequency.  

With my faulty unit, i kept a diary for a day of all the times the unit rebooted iteself and also took a video on my phone showing it happening. An evidence trail such a diary of reboots will hopefully work in your favour, as it did mine.  Goodluck

Message 11 of 22
Ray2017
Tutor

Have taken the Nighthawk back to Telstra who sent it on to Netgear who returned it saying no fault found. The first time back it took 10 minutes to reboot itself, the second time it came back sying no fault found I got Telstra to send it back straight away without taking it home, the third time back it came home again and took 45 minutes to reboot then another 8 then another 28 minutes.

What kind of cursory check do they do? Not good enough!

Message 12 of 22
poiter
Aspirant

Ray2017, i hear your frustration. Not good enough of Netgear or Telstra - this seems to be an issue with some of the units. As I said in my previous post, i took a copy of list of times, whenever the unit dropped out. I basically left the unit in front of me when i was working and jotted down the times over a day. I hope that if you can keep such a record, if netgear dont come up with the goods, then put it back to telstra and if they dont play, consumer affairs.  Written evidence and a diary of events will hopefully help. Good luck.  

Message 13 of 22
UK-based
Luminary

Having read all posts in this thread, it's clear that some M1 units are malfunctioning more than others. It's almost as if the power levels required to run all components is very near a threshold that is triggered when higher demands are made, such as setting the WiFi range to long or using the Ethernet port. My M1 seemed to run OK on battery but when I tried to run it solely on the 2A mains charger supplied by Netgear, it constantly rebooted. I've got the M1's dual-band WiFi on and set to Long range. It's also connected via Ethernet to an unmanaged Gigabit Ethernet switch, into which I have 2 dual-band WiFi access points and a wired PC and printer. I could consistently reproduce the reboot by simply beginning a file download from a website.

Many other threads discuss the need to purchase a 2.4A mains charger to cure this rebooting. Apparently the M1 contains a Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 chip so I decided to buy a mains charger compatible with this technology. Since installing this new charger about 5 weeks ago, the M1 has only restarted its internet session about 3 times - these might not have been reboots. While there are no doubt many well-made mains chargers on the market that are compatible with Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 technology, here's the one I chose.

Of course, this is a work-around that might help some people who are using the M1 without battery for 24/7 LAN internet access - it's not a cure for the underlying design problem. Hopefully a firmware modification may cure the problem but it could be down to hardware.

Message 14 of 22
winger13
Guide

Mine started rebooting like crazy the past few days after a couple of months of no issues. I will look into where it is caused by being near a string signal or particular frequency(s). Frustrating as heck.

Message 15 of 22
Ray2017
Tutor

I sent mine back to netgear 4 times via Telstra (Australian service provider) and 4 times it came back with no problem found (cant have been looking very hard).

I filed a complaint with Telstra and they replaced it for me, so far no problems with the replacement 2 months on.

Message 16 of 22
winger13
Guide

Thanks for the downer, lol.
Did you ever isolate what was it was not the cause of the reboots? I mean the unit's bad, but what triggered the reboots?
Message 17 of 22
Ray2017
Tutor

Hi, No I never isolated what was causing the problem, the fact that the new one is working Ok shows that the problem was internal to the device not the enviroment.

Just a bad batch of components I guess.

Message 18 of 22
winger13
Guide

After a month+ of stability, I experienced so many constant reboots this week on my M1 unit that it was unusable. I video taped five instances + showed a local AT&T Store manager in person.  This occurs regardless how it was powered - only with the stock battery, plugged into power (with the battery in) or plugged into power (with the battery removed).  I have 2.4-only wifi mode set, and I have wifi transmitting at the lowest power setting.

Here is a brief description on how the reboots have been ocurring:

1. Heavy data use (can simply replicate by running 2 - 5 consecutive speed tests)

2. Device reboots

1. and 2. repeats from 3 - 6 times, and most often, during last reboot, the device refuses to power on.  The only way to power on the device is pulling the battery then putting it back in.

Also, occasionally after a reboot, the cellular speeds decreases drastically to under 1Mbps, when normal speeds range from 8 - 30+ Mbps)

During the past month, I was using the M1 either in hilly locations or inside heavily insulated buildings both locations did not have strong cellular signals and my M1 used Band 12 (700Mhz) exclusively.  This past week, I started using the device outdoors in flat areas where cellular signal was pretty strong - each time I monitored the reboots, my M1 was usig B2 (1900Mhz) or B30 (2300Mhz).

Which this knowledge, I can now reliably replicate a stable situation as well as an unstable (constant reboot) situation.

Good news is I was able to file a warranty return with AT&T.

Message 19 of 22
winger13
Guide

@winger13 wrote:

After a month+ of stability, I experienced so many constant reboots this week on my M1 unit that it was unusable. I video taped five instances + showed a local AT&T Store manager in person.  This occurs regardless how it was powered - only with the stock battery, plugged into power (with the battery in) or plugged into power (with the battery removed).  I have 2.4-only wifi mode set, and I have wifi transmitting at the lowest power setting.

1. Heavy data use (can simply replicate by running 2 - 5 consecutive speed tests)

2. Device reboots

1. and 2. repeats from 3 - 6 times, and most often, during last reboot, the device refuses to power on.  The only way to power on the device is pulling the battery then putting it back in.

Also, occasionally after a reboot, the cellular speeds decreases drastically to under 1Mbps, when normal speeds range from 8 - 30+ Mbps)

During the past month, I was using the M1 either in hilly locations or inside heavily insulated buildings both locations did not have strong cellular signals and my M1 used Band 12 (700Mhz) exclusively.  This past week, I started using the device outdoors in flat areas where cellular signal was pretty strong - each time I monitored the reboots, my M1 was usig B2 (1900Mhz) or B30 (2300Mhz).

Which this knowledge, I can now reliably replicate a stable situation as well as an unstable (constant reboot) situation.

Just wanted to provide a follow up in case this can help someone.

I received a warranty replacement today and was able to perform a series of speed tests in an area with strong Band 30.  No reboots.   I will run the same tests in a few days in an area with Band 2 and will report back.  But, this is promising, so far.

Message 20 of 22
winger13
Guide

@winger13 wrote:

@winger13 wrote:

2. Device reboots

Just wanted to provide a follow up in case this can help someone.

I received a warranty replacement today and was able to perform a series of speed tests in an area with strong Band 30.  No reboots.   I will run the same tests in a few days in an area with Band 2 and will report back.  But, this is promising, so far.

OK, I was able to hit an area today, earlier than expected, where Band 2 is dominant.  I ran an extensive set of speedtests (d/l and u/l speeds were in the 15-30 range) and the replacement device did NOT reboot.

I think I am good to go with this one.

Message 21 of 22
JasonN
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi winger13,

Thank you so much for the update. I am glad your issue has been resolved. :]

- Jason N

Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies