× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Nighthawk M2 M2100 telstra.internet

ed4444
Tutor

Nighthawk M2 M2100 telstra.internet

How do I change the name of the USB tethered router from TPPW4G_2153 to something I prefer?

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions

Re: Nighthawk M2 M2100 telstra.internet

@ed4444 wrote:

There seems to be no way to change the router name in Ethernet mode, either in Windows 10 or logged in to Netgear.

That's probably a Windows thing. It names devices like modems and routers and seems to offer little user control.

I am not familiar with the M2 but for other devices you can change the "Device Name" here in the browser graphical user interface:

• Advanced
  • Setup
  • LAN Setup

Whether or not Windows respects this is another matter. Mine insists on a name that the router had before I set it up to my liking. Seems to be the original default wifi SSID.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies

@ed4444 wrote:

How do I change the name of the USB tethered router from TPPW4G_2153 to something I prefer?

By name, do you mean the SSID it broadcasts?

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

Check the section in the manual Manage WiFi Settings.

You may have done this already. I can't tell from your message.

You have posted your message in the section of this community given over to Nighthawk WiFi Routers. (This is easily done, given Netgear's complicated community structure.)

Many questions apply to different types of device, so you might get responses here, but you might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers specific to your hardware, in the appropriate section for your device. That's probably here:

Mobile Routers, Hotspots & Modems

Message 2 of 7
ed4444
Tutor

Thanks! Yes, I mean the SSID that is broadcast.

Message 3 of 7

Read the manual then.

Message 4 of 7
ed4444
Tutor

Thanks! My brain was not in gear earlier. Initially I had been using the router in WiFi mode where I had changed the SSID and set a new password. I've now changed to a USB Ethernet connection, so I assume the name of the router "TPPW4G_2153" is not broadcast. I've studied the Manual in depth. There seems to be no way to change the router name in Ethernet mode, either in Windows 10 or logged in to Netgear.

Thanks anyway! Kind regards, Ed

Message 5 of 7

@ed4444 wrote:

There seems to be no way to change the router name in Ethernet mode, either in Windows 10 or logged in to Netgear.

That's probably a Windows thing. It names devices like modems and routers and seems to offer little user control.

I am not familiar with the M2 but for other devices you can change the "Device Name" here in the browser graphical user interface:

• Advanced
  • Setup
  • LAN Setup

Whether or not Windows respects this is another matter. Mine insists on a name that the router had before I set it up to my liking. Seems to be the original default wifi SSID.

Message 6 of 7
ed4444
Tutor

G'day Michael,

Thanks again for your prompt and detailed reply. It seems your right: I've tried every which way, and there seems to be no way to change the device name. I'll talk to the service provider (Telstra, Australia) shortly, but I'll bet they say it's a Windows or Netgear problem.

Sincere thanks for taking the the time to help.

Kind regards

Ed (PhD in Engineering and Applied Science, with 49 years experience in Computer Science, retired Assoc. Prof. Univ. of Calgary)

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7