× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: Nighthawk M2 (MR2100) constant reboot

Tinsanta
Aspirant

Nighthawk M2 (MR2100) constant reboot

Hi All,

I just bought the nighthawk m2 and I am finding it really unstable. I am getting constant reboots when using the wifi function. The only way I have made it stable is by turning off wifi and just using Ethernet . Any suggestions? Is it faulty or is it a software issue that will get fixed with firmware upgrades. Seems like a really underbaked device.
Message 1 of 63

Accepted Solutions
ArodiD
NETGEAR Expert

Hi All,

NETGEAR release MR1 Firmware NTGX24_10.13.05.00_00_TELSTRA_02.10_00 today which includes alot of bug fixes.  Please upgrade your device to this latest firmware and let me know if the problem still persists.  If you are still having issues after upgrading to the latest firmware then please send me a PM with the details.

Regards,

ArodiD

View solution in original post

Message 43 of 63

All Replies
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Tinsanta

Welcome to NETGEAR Community! 

Just to clarify, when you say "reboot", do you mean that the MR2100 turns off and on itself. May I request the following: 

- Please describe your network setup

- How many devices are connected to the MR2100 when issue re-occur? 

- Kindly access the MR2100 settings page and check if there is any firmware update available. What is the current firmware version? 

I suggest to perform a factory reset as well. 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 2 of 63
angryface
Aspirant

We are having the same problem.
We have checked the firmware there are no updates available. We have factory rebooted. We also have removed the battery and plugged it into the wall socket. We just removed the Netgear extender . We currently have 4 devices connected.
Message 3 of 63
Tinsanta
Aspirant

Hi @Blanca_O ,

Thanks for the reply, in answer to your questions;

Reboot - It is mostly a case of the MR2100 turning itself on and off although it does also freeze where the power light is solid blue and the screen is non-responsive and I need to re-set the device.

My network setup, pretty standard started with just wifi enabled and the device plugged into the power and various devices connecting to it's wifi. Although that became to unstable so I have turned off wifi and am connected to an old router I have and using that for Wifi. Given the device does not yet have IP passthrough that is causing some other issues but at least the mr2100 is stable.

How many devices - it can happen just with one connected but normally i have 2-3.

I checked the firware and there is non available. The current one on the device is NTGX24_10.09.01.00

As for factory reset, I have done that several times already.

Thanks for you help

Message 4 of 63
kirayamto
Apprentice

hello

may i ask your telstra M2 is using telstra or optus and Vodafone ?

because your case maybe m2 crash issue

Message 5 of 63
Tinsanta
Aspirant

Same issue both on telstra and Optus
Message 6 of 63
SMJ71
Initiate

I have having exactly the same issue. I have taken the battery out as it runs (well supposed to) 24/7 and suspended sleep and the blue light is staying on constantly. I have to take the power out and re boot.
Message 7 of 63
SMJ71
Initiate

Mine is Telstra only
Message 8 of 63
angryface
Aspirant

Telstra only
Message 9 of 63
SvenP
Guide

My MR2100 presented few reboots and also freeze with blue light solid on.

This was same on Telstra or Optus SIM. With battery or pluged in only.

Got it replaced by Telstra after 3 weeks. It has now been on for 14 days plugged in without battery and behave perfect. I have 2 MR1100 that also played when new but has been perfect after few firmware. This may also be firmware related but my replaced unit goes well so fare. I am using 2 units pluged in and one on battery. I find the MR2100 power button is oversensative and I have reported to Netgear. Can probably be fixed on firmware.

Message 10 of 63
angryface
Aspirant

Just an update - we took our back to telstra and they replaced it. its been almost a week now without needing to reboot 

Message 11 of 63
SvenP
Guide

HI

I have my replaced M2 still on without battery and plugged in with original power supply. It has performed faultless for 3 weeks.

Message 12 of 63
Beetroot_48
Aspirant

Hi,

I'm curious, everyone's issues seem to be getting fixed by replacing hardware at Telstra store. Have Telstra indicated there is a known problem with the initial batch of M2's that they keep sending everyone (myself included with same freeze reboot problems)? Doesn't look to have been a firmware update since the problems were experienced and described as working now, only thing that has changed is the hardware. Netgear haven't published anything I can find about a known fault that I can find.

Message 13 of 63
SvenP
Guide

Nobody will admit there has been other people with same issue. This is always the case when you have any problems although there could be hundreds complaining.

I have also pointed out the oversensitive power button. It switches on if it is off and you place it in a briefcase and happen to touch it.

I received another replay from Netgear this morning 9-5-19....as below.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Sven,
Thank you for responding. As to the power button issue this has already been reported to higher tier. We are waiting for an update from them. Once the a firmware is available that will resolve this issue you will be notified by your service provider. Firmware will be forwarded by them.

Thank you for choosing Netgear.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My replacement has now been running non-stop plugged in without battery for 22 days.

I am on Optus but have purchased a 180 day prepaid Telstra SIM I would need to put in to get my firmware. I can not remember if I used Telstra when I loaded the firmware to my other M1.

Message 14 of 63
Tinsanta
Aspirant

Hi, just wondering if there is an update on this issue. Is it a hardware issue or software? Should I return the device?
Message 15 of 63
SvenP
Guide

Hi Tinsanta

I returned my MR2 after 3 weeks. I received a new with same firmware and has now been running 24/7 for 31 days plugged in without battery. It could be hardware issue or corrupt firmware. I think most likely - hardware issue. In that case it will make no difference to waith for another firmware. I am 100% happy with the performance. It appears to have a stronger reception than my MR1. I am running the unit on Wi-Fi only on 2,4Ghz. 

Message 16 of 63
Tinsanta
Aspirant

Thanks, I guess I will have to return mine as well. Shame the netgear team are not more engaged in this thread but maybe that says somthing in itself.

Message 17 of 63
Beetroot_48
Aspirant

I received a return authorisation number from Netgear. The process with Netgear simply went, "Do a factory reboot, is the problem still there? Here is your return authorisation number, must be a hardware problem". An excerpt from the email from Netgear Customer Support:

Hi Customer,

Thank you for contacting Netgear through Email support.

It seems we can say that the device might be defective via hardware base to the symptoms you have provided. I suggest, you may need to proceed in processing replacement for this unit.

No mention of widespread problem etc. but they came to that conclusion very quickly.

Sorry its not much but is all I've been given by the manufacturer.

Message 18 of 63
SvenP
Guide

It appears as they are aware of this problem. You can get a new unit from Telstra if it in within 30 days since purchase. I replaced my M2 after 22 days and provided them with a video showing the freeze and how it was connected. I will soon start to use it mobile on battery and report if anything goes wrong. Looking forward to hearing from your experience with the replacement unit.

Message 19 of 63
IndigoAins
Aspirant

I got my third m2 from Telstra yesterday. Came out this morning and it had frozen. Solid blue light, had to take the battery off to reset it. Have done all the resets in the world. When I took the second one back, the woman rang NETGEAR and was told, there wasn’t a known issue, just replace it.

hmmmmm

Message 20 of 63
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi, All, 

Let me check on this. I will get back to you for any updates.

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 21 of 63
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Really disappointed in this device and the service by Netgear. I've experienced random restarts. I sent it off the the authorised service centre here in Australia. I get it back with a report of "No Fault Found" - they hardly had it long enough to do a proper check. One thing for sure is that it came back with a scratch on the screen that wasn't there when I sent it to them. The only other option is to return it to the Telstra Shop in which I purchased it. Can anyone guess what they might say when they see a scratch on the screen?

Message 22 of 63
SvenP
Guide

I must count myself lucky to have obtained a faultless replace unit. So far so god.

My first was running 7 days 24/7 before I found it to be frozen. It then also made few restarts now and then. I have now shifted to run on battery only, also 24/7. You guys will hear from me if it gives me any problem. My bet is a hardware problem. My 2 Mr1 is on 24/7 and I purchased them when they were first released. Original firmware did also created restarts now and then, but it has been 100% since then. Will follow your progress.

I also, noticed the M1 battery is not working with M2. It gave my onfo on the screen that wrong battery was installed. In case someone intend to by an extra battery. Slightly different voltage. Not expected.

Message 23 of 63
Beetroot_48
Aspirant

Hi Blanca,

Any update on this.

To help, here are the specifics of my modem 

- Hardware Version: 1.0 (probably a big mistake, I never buy 1.0 anything because of these exact problems!!!)

- Firmware Version: NTGX24_10.09.01.00

- Modem Version: SDX24_10.16.00.00

-PRI Version 1.18

As a suggestion, I would recommend Netgear start providing answers (silence isn't an answer) and a fix otherwise there will be a huge return of these in the very near future.

Message 24 of 63
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @SvenP

You mentioned to one of your post that you have provided your ISP a video showing the issue and how devices were connected. May we request a copy of it as well? Our engineers would like to review it. 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 25 of 63
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7