× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: Nighthawk M2 (MR2100) constant reboot

SvenP
Guide

Bianca!

Would you like me to upload the videos (2) on this site or send it to your tech guys?

I have one short video with battery and another plugged in. Both showing freezing and solid blue light.

Message 26 of 63
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @SvenP

Thank you for responding. Please send me a private message with the 2 video links. 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 27 of 63
marksrbs
Aspirant

Hi im having the same issue, with the Mr2100. 

Blue light stays on and i have to reboot. I have tried with battery out and power direct. I have tried usb to computer. i have tried battery only. all with the same result. I have spent hours on the phone to netgear support trying to get this sorted. I have replaced the hardware 3 times with telstra all with the same variying  result, I have never had more than 48hours use without having to reboot. 

I am at my wits end. Any help would be appreciated

Message 28 of 63
Beetroot_48
Aspirant

Hi Blanca,

Any further updates to this problem resolution? Do we just keep returning hardware to Telstra and swapping out till on the off chance we get a device that actually works?

Are there engineering notes in the development repository detailing issues to be addressed in hardware revision #02?

Message 29 of 63
SvenP
Guide

My M2 has now started to freeze and restart after 5 weeks solid performance. This behaviour is from plugged in to power adapter with or without battery installed. It was running for 5 weeks without any problems from day one. I will leave it on a shelf and wait for firmware update. I have 2 M1 and another hotspot I can use. They have been running for 18 months 24/7 without problems (after the first firmware update).  

Message 30 of 63
Tinsanta
Aspirant

Update on my initial unit, I had it replaced by Netgear after ringing their service center. I have left the wifi off so cant say if the Wifi issue has been fixed but with Wifi off it has been stable for the last week. Over the weekend I will play with the wifi to see if that is still an issue. I am hoping the Netgear rep comes back with an update. Not great support to date on this issue.

Message 31 of 63
Beetroot_48
Aspirant

Hi Blanca,

Any update of this issue? The Netgear engineers have had Sven's videos for a while now and we are hearing zero from Netgear. In my experience, silence is admittance. What are Netgear going to do about this problem?

Cheers,

Message 32 of 63
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi, All, 

This has been brought up already to engineers. I will get back to you guys for any updates.

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 33 of 63
Punkley
Aspirant

I have also seen this issue last week, it occured when I both used ethernet and Wifi.

I had 2 devices connected, one via ethernet and another over 5g.

It was doing lots of udp packets between the 2, (between a laptop on 5g  and a X-Air audio mixer, connected to ethernet)

Every few min it just rebooted

Message 34 of 63
MikeMac-Au
Aspirant

After atrocious service from Telstra Tech Support on multiple occasions I was given a case manager to resolve the issue which was the need to reboot 4-5 times just in one day with the blue power light locked on.

This case manager made a note in my file that I was to get a simple replacement at my local Telstra shop.  When I went to the shop this morning it took over half an hour, and they demanded I sign a new contract.  They also told me I will get hit with penalty fees for early termination of the other device (3 weeks old) and that I will have to fight Telstra to get this negated.  In this case I think it is a Telstra franchisee.

Service has been a sad reflection of where Telstra is at present.  I do hope the new unit I picked up today is problem free, as the speed I get is great when the unit works.  And I hope I do not have a fight re cancellation charges.

Message 35 of 63
SvenP
Guide

You should be able to get new replacement within 30 days. I took the opportunity to get my replaced after 3 weeks. My did also freeze and restart. The replacement worked fine for 4 weeks and then suddenly started freeze. Then it suddenly started behaving good again.

It is now running without battery 24/7. It is connected to another router with 2 pc and also using it with Wi-Fi.

Message 36 of 63
Mwmcgurk
Aspirant

Hi Blanca
Just wondering if there is anything more to add to this thread? Had an M2 now for two day and has frozen (solid blue light and unresponsive) 3 times each day. Very frustrating as when it is running it is very good
Should I be returning it back to Telstra?
Thanks
Matt
Message 37 of 63
MikeMac-Au
Aspirant

Matt

Just a suggestion.  In settings you can set the Nighthawk to NOT go to sleep.  See if that works.  Also unless you need battery take it out.

If you need a replacement chat with Telstra support, get escalated to a Case Manager who can then put an authority on your account to get a replacement.  I have had my replacement now for 48 hours - touch wood no problems so far.

Cheers

Message 38 of 63
Tinsanta
Aspirant

I started this thread and ultimatly what worked for me was getting the unit replaced. Not much help in this thread on solving the issue, I just called the Netgear support team and they put me in touch with a special Night Gear support team member. I took them through the issues and what I had done to try and solve them. They stated that the unit was likely defective and put me across to the local support team to replace. They sent out a new unit and at the same time sent a courier for the old unit, so I was without internet for a day. Since then I have had no issues with the unit and the wifi aspect.

Good luck!

Message 39 of 63
cjt007
Initiate

Hi 

I used to work for Netgear - they have good kit and the RA process is probably the best.
That is or was my job for a while.
SO ... in another life the company I'm helping has had some problems with the NightHawk M2

Here are a few thoughts on the matter. - work out which ones might apply

A) The battery may create heat that affects the CPU - causing problems.

B) The single ethernet port could be stressed by issues farther down the line.
    A lot of people are buying trashy switches - so dumb that they fall for the
    old - lets plug all the cables into an 8 port switch - Oh and just for fun
    lets make sure one of those cables forms a loop - one cable plugged
    into the switch twice - Unfortunately that is deadly as  smarter switches
    Turn one of the looped feeback ports into a standby mode but the
    dumb switch does not - causing a cascade of traffic.

C)  This device is not designed - I think, I'm not sure - for very heavy traffic
   so it may have some limitations on throughput. It is possible that it
   runs out of steam when someone plays games or if someone decides
   to finish that spreadsheet late in the afternoon - and now wants to push
   it off to a couple of mates ??

D)  Maybe there is a limit in the number of DHCP assignments inside this
   unit - if that happens it may be a bit slow - clearing the problem and
   effectively stopping the DHCP service from operating.
   The symptom of course would be felt most keenly in the WiFi side
    of things. It tends to lose connection more often and for longer periods
   which - means that a device would ask for an IP address assignment
   and there would be no free slots in the limited DHCP IP table.
   This would probably seem like a full blown failure to the WiFi device
   asking - and the problem would be classified as the WiFi is down.
   In fact a few people in better reception areas - would still be working
   away - since they have kept their IP address.
   Ethernet people  might need to shutdown their PC to experience the
   Wifi is down (actually Ethernet is down) problem. They would try to
   connect and their PC (using the ipconfig) would say "it" is connected)
   but they would be unable to access the internet. The physical ethernet
   may be "connected" but without DHCP it would be DOWN.

OK> I'm hoping you may have followed me so far.
    If you want to try and fix this and get back onto the internet ???
    Try and assign a specific IP address as a backup in case the DHCP
    service is the only thing DOWN.
    This is possible inside a Windows PC - be it ethernet or WiFi.
    There is a place inside Windows WiFi admin that allows you to configure
    a specific IP address for a particular WiFi location. It maye be harder
    for PC's that travel but get connected via Ethernet - just for testing
    learn how to do this.
    I once turned on a fleet of PC's and made their BACKUP IP address
    exactly the same as the one they got from the DHCP server. They
    were all connected to a router - if it died  they all got the proverbial
    196.kiss of death IP address - a specific IP address randomly
   generated by the PC itself. Not good if you happen to want work done.
   At any rate so long as they all get, say a 192.168.1.X or the other
   common 192.168.0.X address (both of these exclude the two
   IP addresses 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 which is the router's
   own IP address). Then things should/may work because the 
   router may still be connected to the internet and it may still be
   transferring info in and out - it just needs to know the IP address
   of every PC that is talking to it. It gets this info with every so
   called packet - every single packet has to have a FROM and
   a TO  IP address. Sometimes  packets are setup to broadcast
   and that is a special address X.Y.Z.255. Lets not get to
   complex and I will end it here.

HOPEFULLY this may help some peop[le out there?

HELPFUL

Message 40 of 63
SvenP
Guide

Hi CJT007

Thank you for interest reading and your possible work outs.

However – I have been using my 2  M1 for about 18 months without problem.

One of them has been running 24/7 without battery and connected to a router.

I have 2 PC and 2 iPhone and 1 iPad using WiFi to this router.

Also few other devices using WiFi direct to the M1 unit.

This configuration works perfect without any freezing or need for restarts.

I/we only want the M2 to work as well without any workaround because this is sold as an easy to operate device, and costumers expect it to work as is.

My 2 M1 has proven to work nonstop ….however after a second firmware.

We are now also waiting for a second firmware to our M2.

The unit shouldn’t be sold until this has been resolved.

Message 41 of 63
Wellington78
Aspirant

Yep I’m on my 4th M2. And each time Netgear & Telstra assure me they have not only never seen this before, they have never heard of it happening! Just a coincidence they tell me. Both are in denial. I just want it fixed. I waste half a day going into Telstra shops and dealing with incompetent staff to replace the unit.

Message 42 of 63
ArodiD
NETGEAR Expert

Hi All,

NETGEAR release MR1 Firmware NTGX24_10.13.05.00_00_TELSTRA_02.10_00 today which includes alot of bug fixes.  Please upgrade your device to this latest firmware and let me know if the problem still persists.  If you are still having issues after upgrading to the latest firmware then please send me a PM with the details.

Regards,

ArodiD

Message 43 of 63
ShanniJ
Aspirant

Hi ArodiD,

I have the M2 and was experienceing major issues with complete loss of internet requiring that i manually reboot the device frequently very similar to the other complaints in this thread.

I performed the update as you suggested and stability has improved immensely.

My issue now is performance, the Internet through this device now is quite delayed, every request takes a good 30 seconds before getting a response and audio chats have massive delays which make it impossible to use. Even simply spell checking this message took about 40 seconds before it began processing.

I have used both Telstra and Optus Sim cards, both experience the same.

I prefer to use Optus, do you have any recommendations for any settings updates to resolve the issues?  I plan to try a factory reset to see if this helps after the update, but appreciate any advice. 

Message 44 of 63
Punkley
Aspirant

What are you seeing on speedtest?

I was seeing only 1mbit a sec, but I wasn't sure if it was me or the update.

Kingsley

Message 45 of 63
ArodiD
NETGEAR Expert

Hi ShanniJ,

I have not experienced any degradation in throughput on my devices since performing the update.  Can I ask how you are running the speedtest?  If you are using speedtest.net then please try different servers as it may be caused by the server.  Are you running the test over WiFi, Ethernet or USB?  Maybe try running a comparison test across the different interfaces?  Worst case try the factory reset.  If you are still having issues then please PM me.

Regards,

ArodiD

Message 46 of 63
JInall
Aspirant

Hi Arodi,

I've just bought a Nighawk MR2100 through Telstra. It's had the latest firmware update installed (as per your recent post).  It continues to shut itself off overnight, even though the "standby" setting has been disabled. Is there something else  I can do to fix myself or do I need to take it back to the store for a replacement unit? Many thanks.

Message 47 of 63
SvenP
Guide

Hi Jlnall

Go to Mobile Router Setup

then

ETHERNET STANDBY

Change to:

Disabled.

Message 48 of 63
JInall
Aspirant

Hi Sven P,

Many thanks for your post. I'm sorry but I'm not a technical person! Could you please be more specific about where I find the "ethernet standby" function? I've looked in the device settings (through the touch screen) and also in the Netgear mobile app settings. The only reference I can find is through the mobile app: Settings - Wifi - Sleep (which is already disabled). Many thanks for clarifying. 

Message 49 of 63
SvenP
Guide

Hi Jlnall

You need to use the browser on your PC to see this.

See attached file.

I walked into Telstra Sydney shop today and noticed their demo M2 was sitting on the desk frozen! Coulde't find out what firmware they were using due to the situation.

I also discovered my M2 was frozen when I come home. Yes, I have the latest firmware.

It was connected without the battery installed and connected with original power adaptor. Disconnected and started to encounter freezing every time. I unplugged and installed the battery after several attempt with the power only. Yes it started up fine without freezing. 

Message 50 of 63
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7