× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: Nighthawk M2 MR2100 features and availability

Apollon
Apprentice

Nighthawk M2 MR2100 features and availability

Does MR2100 have dynamic DNS support, sorely lacking in MR1100? I'm interested in using it as a primary home internet solution and want to know if the router supports inbound connections from outside using dynamic DNS, such as no-ip.com or dyndns.org, so I could remote into home computers while away. 

Will there be a US version anytime soon, with FDD-LTE bands B2,B4,B12 support? If so, ETA?

Message 1 of 25
TeeJay74
Virtuoso

Hi,
Just heard that there will be US-version of M2.
Message 2 of 25
Apollon
Apprentice

Are you able to share the source of this information? If it's a public knowledge, and not Netgear insider knowledge - could you share a link?

Message 3 of 25
TeeJay74
Virtuoso

Let's say information comes from highly credible industry inside source.
Message 4 of 25
Apollon
Apprentice

So, to sum up - No on dynamic DNS support, and Yes on US version. Can Netgear reps confirm and provide ETA for US release?

Message 5 of 25
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Apollon

AirCard products and this includes MR2100 do not support Dynamic DNS. If you need to access computers remotely then you will have to use TeamViewer or VNC Server.

As far as MR2100 goes we do not have ETA or confirmation when and if the MR2100 will be available in the US.

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 6 of 25
Apollon
Apprentice

HI @Blanca_O 

I always found it distasteful and a poor customer support, when customer service rep of any company says "we do not have information" when asked about their own product. As the manufacturer of the device you are the ones, who CREATE information about availability of your own product. Where, when and if you plan on selling it is up to you. If you had said something like "it hasn't been communicated to Support when/if there will be US availability, but I'll try to find out for you", or "It hasn't been decided yet if the device will be released for US market" - that's not an aswer I would like, but one I could understand and accept. The answer you gave is unacceptable.

Personally, I think this wireless router/hotpost has nothing to do with AirCards, and putting it in the same category is a mistake. By not providing dynamic DNS support, which is a standard feature for ALL other routers/brands these days, you are greatly reducing your target audience and market share this device will appeal to. I'd like to submit feature request to your engineering/product management to add dynamic DNS support to M2 and you can use the above comments as supporting arguments for the request.

You are incorrect by assuming VNC server provides a solution for dynamic IPs. WIthout stating IP or dynamic DNS support available VNC is useless. TeamViewer supports only Windows/Mac/Linux computers, it does not support any IoT devices like IP cameras, various home monitoring systems, etc. and for that reason cannot make up for lack of dynamic DNS.

Message 7 of 25
Apollon
Apprentice

Hello @Blanca_O ,

I'm following up on the request to submit feature request to your engineering/product management to add dynamic DNS support to  Nighthawk M2. Please let me know if it was submitted to the product team.

Message 8 of 25
Apollon
Apprentice

If this supports dynamic DNS - it'd be the time to say goodbye to Netgear. You reap what you sow.

Message 9 of 25
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi Apollon

There has been no announcement yet of any plans. We recommend posting your suggestion on our Idea Exchange board. Our Product Managers review the board for great ideas to be implemented in future releases.

Link is https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/idb-p/idea-exchange-for-home

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 10 of 25
Apollon
Apprentice

@TeeJay74  Is your source able to provide at least a rough estimate for US availbility, like this spring/summer/fall, Q4 2019, etc?

Message 11 of 25
TeeJay74
Virtuoso

Maybe Q3 2019?
Message 12 of 25

Just run a ddns client on your LAN. Dead simple.

Not quite sure why this one feature would be a show stopper. I assume all you want is a way to publish services and/or get back to your home network from an external network location which implies something is up and running and could happily host a ddns client in parallel. Problem solved unless I am missing something here.

Message 13 of 25
Apollon
Apprentice

I already replied to your incorrect and misleading "advice" in the other thread. There is no need to follow me around, and spam all threads with the same false information. Yes - you ARE missing something. Actually, you are missing a lot - read my detailed reply in the other thread and educate yourself about double NAT.

Message 14 of 25

Your tone is wonderful... :0)

It still isn't clear what you are trying to achieve asking for DDNS whilst at the same time adding CG-NAT into the situation. If you are behind CG-NAT then is no DDNS solution that can help you.

You can either seek a routable IP from your service provider. This will likely come at a cost. Or you can go the VPN/proxy access route to be able to publish and access services behind CG-NAT.

I set up a lightsail server with wireguard VPN and port forwarding back to the internal network. This comes at a monthly cost for the infra and then extra cost depending on bandwidth used. Alternatively you can use services like ngrok (free for light simple use) that will offer proxied access back to your home network that is behind CG-NAT, https://ngrok.com/

With almost all carriers using CG-NAT there is limited to no use in a DDNS client running on the M1/2. Whatever address it gets back for you is not going to be any use to get you back into your network. You need to look at other options if that is what you are trying to achieve.

Message 15 of 25
Apollon
Apprentice

@phillipmcmahon You are very confused about several things, such as the purpose of this thread and my need in your advice/ideas/suggestions, so let me be CRYSTAL CLEAR, as I take the time to clarify these things for you:

1. The purpose of this thread (besides recieving product availability information directly from Netgear, and NOT user speculations about it) is to point out to Netgear essential features, currently missing from the device and communicate to Netgear the need to make those software enhancements in the upcoming firmware updates. Trying to come up with workarounds for the missing features goes directly against the purpose of this thread, as it may create false impression for Netgear product managers that implementing these features may not be all that important, if an easy workaround exists (for the record - it does not). Therefore, your efforts to provide any workarounds are counterproductive, as they undermine the very purpose this threat was created for, and they are unwelcome.
  2. I'm a principle level software and networking engineer (among other things), with over 20 years of experience in those areas. You are NOT qualified to give me advice on any workarounds, related to networking issues discussed here. I've done extensive, professional grade research on all these issues, and therefore I already know everything there is to know about possible solutions/workarounds for lack of dynamic DNS support, and I'm already doing about it everything I need to do. For the aforementioned reasons, your advices/ideas/suggestions on this topic are not needed or welcome.
  3. About 90% of what you said in your last lengthy post is a complete nonsense and is simply false. I won't spend my time refuting your statements one by one, but I will say this again: you are NOT qualified to give advice on these matters. Based on the things you said, you are trying to give advice on things you are clueless about, and as stated - no advice is required in the first place (even if you did suggest something that was correct).

I hope this clarifies where we stand on the need for your input on workarounds for lack of dynamic DNS support, and I hope we can get the conversation back on track and make it again about missing features Netgear needs to implement, and things like ETA for this product's release for North American market.

Message 16 of 25

Rather than just posture about how right you are and how wrong I am, how about you share your information related to the easy workaround for CG-NAT and also how implementing a DDNS client on the Netgear would help.

You keep mentioning a lack of DDNS support, can you please explain what would be solved if you have either the CG-NAT external IP or the internally assigned IP that could only ever be supplied by the client?

As stated earlier whatever IP you get from a DDNS client is NOT going to be routable if you are behind CG-NAT. There are whole business models offering paid for solutions to help people solve this problem. I mentioned one already, ngrok. Essentially a proxy solution.

I don't disagree that a DDNS client could be useful in some situations. But the moment CG-NAT got mentioned then there is simply no way DDNS can help you here for the reasons in the paragraph above.

Your experience and roles sounds impressive... however you seem less than capable to discuss a topic that might require a back and forth. What of what I wrote earlier was incorrect to the tune of 90%?

Consider I have a CG-NAT setup, I have implemented a solution both using a vpn tunneling setup and also light weight proxying via ngrok that has allowed me to access my network remotely and publish persistent services via static links. None of this was possible using any form of DDNS client. I also know what I am talking about. If you still disagree rather than just say so, then SHARE what you know.

Message 17 of 25
Apollon
Apprentice

HI @Blanca_O , 
Please remove this troll phillipmcmahon from Netgear forums. He keeps stalking me accross different threads, despite being asked more than once to leave me alone and what is more concerning - he's spreading false information. The concern and the danger here is that your product managers, who decide on Nighthawk features, may be less technical than your engineers, and therefore there is a chance they could be deceived by this troll's misinformation, such as his false claims adding dynamic DNS support to Nighthawk will not work with mobile carrier's NAT, and decide not to implement this essential feature, based on false misinformation this troll keeps spreading accross forum threads, where he's stalking me. 

He must be stopped and disallowed to spread any more misinformation, and I would like to put it on record that adding dynamic DNS support to Nighthawk WILL absolutely, 100% work with carrier NAT and provide full and robust solution for connecting to Nighthawk managed networks from outside world. It has already been done with other devices, and thoroughly tested.

Message 18 of 25

It is a technical forum and I have only ever responded witht technical discussion. I am not trolling but tried to engage in a technical conversation regarding the request to add DDNS as a solution to get around CG-NAT. My position is that it will only work when you are either NOT behind CG-NAT (rare) or you have a service specifically allowing services to be advertised and accessed, usually a business type contract (expensive).

There are options but none rely on DDNS and rather use VPN or proxy type solutions.

I have no issue being educated to other methods, however you have not provided any technical discussion on why you think what I have presented is not the case. You rather seem offended someone is simply disagreeing with you on a technical level.

Relax a little and engage in discussion.

See some sites all repeating the same message.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrier-grade_NAT

"Disadvantages[edit]

Critics of carrier-grade NAT argue the following aspects:

• Like any form of NAT, it breaks the end-to-end principle.[5]
  • It has significant security, scalability, and reliability problems, by virtue of being stateful.
  • It makes it impossible to host services.
  • It does not solve the IPv4 address exhaustion problem when a public IP address is needed, such as in web hosting."

https://www.reddit.com/r/selfhosted/comments/9e707d/what_are_my_options_to_get_around_a_carrier_grad...

https://www.donaldsimpson.co.uk/2016/10/24/tunneling-out-of-carrier-grade-nat-cgnat-with-ssh-and-aws...

https://www.donaldsimpson.co.uk/2017/01/30/using-ngrok-to-work-around-carrier-grade-nat-cgnat/

https://amoss.me/2017/05/port-forwarding-behind-a-carrier-grade-nat/

https://superuser.com/questions/1258093/set-up-a-web-server-behind-a-carrier-grade-nat

"So the only ways to set up a server behind a NAT you don't control are:

• Make the ISP do port-forwarding... yeah, that's not gonna happen. (Even though in theory NAT-PMP was supposed to permit that.)

• Obtain your own global address from somewhere else, for example there are VPN providers which support server hosting and can give you a static address.

• If you have IPv6, that would be globally reachable, though you'd additionally need a service which can proxy connections from IPv4-speaking clients to your IPv6-only server (e.g. CloudFlare might do the job)."

Message 19 of 25
Apollon
Apprentice

FORUM MODERATORS: Kindly, please do your damn job - see my previous post

Message 20 of 25
n3t
Apprentice
Apprentice

If someone is going to be removed from this forum at all, I vote for this person to be Apollon, apparently the god of unfriendliness and disrespect.

Message 21 of 25
Apollon
Apprentice

@n3t "friendliness" is not a quality, which normal/sane/reasonable people apply to their stockers, trolls and people, who deliberately antagonize them and spread false information around. Please go away, and take phillipmcmahon with you - you can be his groupie somewhere else. Neither you, or your opinions/votes/concerns/complaints/desires/aspirations are welcome in my thread. A wise lady once told me: only express your opinion if asked for it, or if it benefits the other person - otherwise STFU and mind your own business. It's a good advice and I'm giving it away for free - take it. 

Message 22 of 25
n3t
Apprentice
Apprentice

Well, if you don't even follow your own advice in your thread — haha, this claim of ownership is outright ridiculous! — why should anybody bother to take it? Go away yourself! 😀

Message 23 of 25

Still an absolute muppet I see. 🤣🤣

You still clinging to the idea a DDNS client will allow you to route into your carrier grade NAT setup and it's only the fault of Netgear that this can't happen.

Try a short experiment. Use a test client on your network to register a DDNS entry and see if that'll allow you to route back in. Then you'll actually have a FACT based position to support your superior intellect...
Message 24 of 25
Apollon
Apprentice

FORUM MODERATORS: Please remove the troll and his groupie from the Netgear forums. They deliberately antagonize and stock users, ignoring all user requests to be left alone. Review their posts history - they contibute no useful or correct informationion in any of the threads they come in and crap all over, only agitate and try to provoke other forum users into pointless bickering. Please do your job and rid these forums from this pair.

Message 25 of 25
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7