× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Nighthawk M2 (MR2100) preventing Synology NAS from connecting?

AndrewvB
Aspirant

Nighthawk M2 (MR2100) preventing Synology NAS from connecting?

I recently moved to the country. In the city we had cable broadband, but at our new house there is no hardwired internet, so we need to use mobile broadband, and got a Netgear Nighthawk M2 router/wifi unit (model MR2100) from Telstra. I have a Synology DS411J NAS which all our iMac and Mac laptops connected to without problems at our previous location, but since moving here the Macs will not connect to the NAS. All other devices on the network are connecting well. I have had a long tiring interchange with the Synology tech people including a 2.5 hour screen share session, and their conclusion was that something is preventing it connecting using IPv4, but it will connect with IPv6. I’m not tech savvy enough to understand this. If I use the NAS’s IPv6 address I can connect to the NAS on a browser, but I still can’t connect with Time Machine, so I can't currently back up our computers to the NAS and I am getting worried.

The Synology techs said to contact the Netgear tech people to ask whether there are any settings in the Nighthawk M2 which would enable the NAS to connect using IPv4?

Help! Any advice greatly appreciated.

Model: MR2100|Mobiler Router Nighthawk M2
Message 1 of 6
tenchy
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk M2 (MR2100) preventing Synology NAS from connecting?

Did you ever have any luck finding a solution to connecting your NAS to the Nighthawk M2.

I'm having issues today connecting a friends qnap nas to the Nighthawk M2. It can be seen in the qnap finder utility, but it just won't connect to the device. Keeps telling me server can't be found via the utility. Even if I try to connect via the NAS IP address, it just won't give me the login screen.

I brought the NAS box back to my place and connected it to my modem/router and it immediately connected. What is up with the Nighthawk M2 ethernet connection?

Model: MR2100|Mobiler Router Nighthawk M2
Message 2 of 6
AndrewvB
Aspirant

Hi - no I couldn't sort it out using the Netgear M2. I ended up connecting another wifi device (Airport Extreme) to the M2, and I used that for the wifi connection - it worked flawlessly then. 

Cheers, Andrew

Message 3 of 6
tenchy
Aspirant

Hi Andrew,

Was it a fairly straight forward process to connect another device/router to the M2 Nighthawk. I haven't really done that before and not sure whats involved. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Tenchy

Message 4 of 6
AndrewvB
Aspirant

Hi, When I had the problem I posted on the Whirlpool forum, and an extremely nice bloke called Ray (Revs per Min) helped me out. It was pretty straightforward, but Ray guided me through it. There were a few settings I had to check and change on the airport settings, but it wasn't hard. Both of my wifi networks are working and active, but I have to use the airport one for the NAS.  Maybe send a PM to him via Whirlpool, and see if he's able to help you.  

Cheers,

Andrew

Message 5 of 6
AndrewvB
Aspirant

This was my post: https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/91jkm2x3

Cheers,

Andrew

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7