× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Nighthawk M2

MSheer_10
Aspirant

Nighthawk M2

I am getting very irregular speeds on my Nighthawk, I have two MR2100 and have tested them side by side with vastly different speeds. I live in a semi rural area and have installed a omni directional mast with a Cell Fi booster. My mobile service is fanatastic. Actual if i speed test my iphone and the Nighthawk the Iphone is constantly faster. Is this the case that Nighthawk can not work with the CellFi boosters?

Message 1 of 6
schumaku
Guru

Re: Nighthawk M2

@ArodiD please pick up, and move to the appropriate community section, too. Thank you!

Message 2 of 6
ArodiD
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @MSheer_10 ,

Are you able to provide some details around your speed issue?  Can you help to answer the below questions?

1. Firmware version

2. Is it a privately installed Cell Fi booster or carrier approved?

3. What app or program are you using to measure the speeds? (i.e. speedtest.net app).  Are you using the same speedtest.net server for the tests?

4. Is the iPhone speedtest done natively or are you using the hotspot feature to connect a laptop or PC?

5. Are the tests conducted over WiFi 2.4Ghz, 5Ghz, Ethernet or USB?  Have you tried comparing?

6. Can you please provide details of the speeds obtained via iPhone compared to M2?

Please note that if you are running the speedtest natively on the iPhone(hotspot feature OFF) then you should see some variances in speeds as the M2 has an additional interface inbetween(WiFi, Ethernet or USB).

Regards,

Arodi

Community Team

Message 3 of 6
MSheer_10
Aspirant

Current Firmware version is NTGX24_10.13.05.00

Telstra approved Cell Fi booster

speedtest.net

Have tested both natively and Hotspot on Iphone

Have done 2.4 and 5.0 only slightly better on 5.0

No difference using USB connection

Test this morning Nighthawk 5.55 upload 0.20 upload

Same computer connected through Iphone to nighthawk slighlty quicker

Same computer hotspoted to Iphone 20 download 15 upload.

Iphone direct to booster 19.5 and 15.3

Thats why I am wondering if something is required for the nighthawks to connect with the booster or they just cant communicate.

My mobile service is excellent and according to the wave app for the booster I have 4 bars am boosting x8 and am on a 4G LTE connection.

Another point as mentioned in previous post I have two M2's and both are the same but one keeps flicking to 3G

Need help

Message 4 of 6
ArodiD
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @MSheer_10 ,

Thanks for the additional information.  It is very helpful.  You mention that one of your devices keeps switching back to 3G which tells me that they may not be connecting to your Cell Fi booster.  If the devices are constantly switching between 3G/4G then this would lead to degradation in speeds.  Can you please try the following and let me know if your speeds improve?

Settings>Advanced Settings>Cellular>Band Region>LTE Only>Apply

Re-run a couple of speed tests after forcing to 4G only.  You can also try forcing to 3G and compare the result.  When you are using the speedtest.net app, please ensure that all tests are conducted using the same speedtest.net server for a proper comparison.  The app automatically chooses a server which may give you mixed results.  Ensuring the speedtest server is always the same will give you a more accurate comparison.  Just something to check.

Regards,

Arodi

Community Team

Message 5 of 6
MSheer_10
Aspirant

Have done everything as per your last message with no improvement what so ever.

Have once again hot spotted to the Iphone with a downlaod speed of 30+ and upload of 17+

Nighthawk ran at 6.58 download and 0.34 upload.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7