× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Nighthawk M6 Pro Constantly Locking Up, Screen Freezing, Dropping Internet

masterbeat
Star

Nighthawk M6 Pro Constantly Locking Up, Screen Freezing, Dropping Internet

I have a new M6 just 2 days old, will be running fine, and then at various times (no rhyme or reason), can be up for hours, or 5 minutes, the screen looks up, won't respond, drops internet completely and pushing the power button will get the screen to flash on and off once in a while.

I've been using it plugged in WITH the battery inside as well.  The only way to restart it is to physically pull out the battery and remove power, then start back up again.

Then 5 minutes to 5 hours later it does it again.

I'm seeing other topics about "overheating" issues, but it never feels hot at all.  Is what I'm experiencing "the overheating" issue or something else?

Not impressed with this $800 router Netgear... need the fix shared immediately or we're returning it, as I'm on a road trip this was purchased for and need it to work NOW, not in weeks.  Please advise how much longer to push the update or if I need to just return it and get a hotspot that works.

Message 1 of 20
Rdt14
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk M6 Pro Constantly Locking Up, Screen Freezing, Dropping Internet

I have literally been dealing with the EXACT same issue. I have had my m6 pro for 3 months, and it seems to get worse and more frequent. I have tried calling netgear with no conclusion, did not have a good customer service experience. I also run my m6 pro with a netgear router in AP mode. I have tried running it with battery and without battery. Im at the point to where im wanting to pay for internet that is twice as expensive in my area, just so i dont have interruptions like this. For being such an expensive item it makes me to want to NEVER buy another Netgear product. If they dont release a fix for this in the coming month i will sell it. Best of luck to you. Netgear really needs to get their stuff together. These issues have been going on since release.
Message 2 of 20
Harvey1010
Aspirant

Same exact issue here
Message 3 of 20
Harvey1010
Aspirant

Mine is laggy, freezes up, and disconnects from mobile broadband service, no explanation
Message 4 of 20
NWFoto
Aspirant

Mine does the exact same. Have you found a solution?
Message 5 of 20
masterbeat
Star

Yes, John Peng at Netgear pushed a beta firmware update to me that solved everything.  It's my understanding that firmware is now available to everyone, have you checked for a firmware update?

Message 6 of 20
NWFoto
Aspirant

I updated to the new firmware this morning after sending my reply. But now the thing won’t connect to att.
Message 7 of 20
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@NWFoto wrote:
I updated to the new firmware this morning after sending my reply. But now the thing won’t connect to att.

Can you capture a model.json file and send PM to me?

- Logon to the webui (http://192.168.1.1 ) as an administrator
- Navigate to URL http://192.168.1.1/model.json via the same browser window
- Capture the results (by selecting all + copy) and send it back

Thanks

Message 8 of 20
Brandlbunch
Aspirant

Just received the M6 model MR6110 and it keeps on freezing up. It seems to freeze within minutes of connecting my gov laptop. Need some advice.
Message 9 of 20
Coxeagle
Tutor

Purchased a Nighthawk M6 Pro to use on the T-Mobile Network as a Failover Device for our Fiber Connection using the Sonicwall TZ570 Firewall. The Nighthawk was chosen due to certified compatiability with Sonicwall. The T-Mobile Sim card was certified compatible with the Nighthawk M6 installed and tested speeds meet 5G specifications. Nighthawk M6 would not allow VPN due to DHCP on the T-Moble Cell Connection. Static IP was ordered and installed, confirmed BIN to the T-Mobile SIM VPN Functional.

Wireless was turned off as not necessary, Sonicwall TZ570 sees the connection on the USB-C and established connection. Connection verified and operational.

The Nighthawk M6 will not maintain reliable connection, device will show on and active but will not pass traffic on sporatic basis. Requires a hard reboot to cycle the Nighthawk M6 then functionallity restored. However will then stop for no apperant reason. Firmware Build Date is 2022/11/10 Version NTGX65_10.04.22.00.

Device states is on current firmware. We suspect this device has flaw in mapping tables. Please advise. See model.json attached.

Message 10 of 20
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@Coxeagle wrote:

Purchased a Nighthawk M6 Pro to use on the T-Mobile Network as a Failover Device for our Fiber Connection using the Sonicwall TZ570 Firewall. The Nighthawk was chosen due to certified compatiability with Sonicwall. The T-Mobile Sim card was certified compatible with the Nighthawk M6 installed and tested speeds meet 5G specifications. Nighthawk M6 would not allow VPN due to DHCP on the T-Moble Cell Connection. Static IP was ordered and installed, confirmed BIN to the T-Mobile SIM VPN Functional.

Wireless was turned off as not necessary, Sonicwall TZ570 sees the connection on the USB-C and established connection. Connection verified and operational.

The Nighthawk M6 will not maintain reliable connection, device will show on and active but will not pass traffic on sporatic basis. Requires a hard reboot to cycle the Nighthawk M6 then functionallity restored. However will then stop for no apperant reason. Firmware Build Date is 2022/11/10 Version NTGX65_10.04.22.00.

Device states is on current firmware. We suspect this device has flaw in mapping tables. Please advise. See model.json attached.

Based on the model.json file, the device is in a poor coverage with only LTE connection. This may impact the data connection stability with your setup.

Seems you are connecting M6 to your Sonicwall TZ570 on the USB-C. Could you please try connecting to the ethernet port and check whether the data connection is more stable?

Thanks

John

Message 11 of 20
Coxeagle
Tutor

Hi John,

We disconnected the M6 Pro from the Sonicwall TZ-570 USB port and reconfigured for the Ethernet Port, removed the battery, turned of WiFi and configured for failover. It seems to be working, or at least not freezing, however we also purchased the Netgear Omnidirectional MIMO Antenna 6000451-10000S to help with the signal. We found the results disappointing as the Antenna cuts the speed, reflecting worst speeds than no Antenna, we switched the TS-9 connections but it made no difference.

What we do find curoius is my Samsung Galaxy Note 5G Ultra has no issue achiving 5G speeds on T- Mobile within the same computer room, we can only surmise the Nighthawk M6 Pro does not recognize the T-Mobile 600mhz 5G Boost service but the Samsung does? I sent you the updated .json file for review.

Message 12 of 20
Mcfarl34
Tutor

Hi John,

I purchased the Nighthawk M6 Pro last week (Late May 2023) and have the same issues. The firmware version is much newer than the one you discussed in the other string. Is there a fix for this? When it does work it works very well.
Message 13 of 20
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@Mcfarl34 wrote:
Hi John,

I purchased the Nighthawk M6 Pro last week (Late May 2023) and have the same issues. The firmware version is much newer than the one you discussed in the other string. Is there a fix for this? When it does work it works very well.

Could you please send me the model.json file at jopeng@netgear.com. Please mention your community ID for easy tracking.

- Logon to the webui (http://192.168.1.1 ) as an administrator
- Navigate to URL http://192.168.1.1/model.json via the same browser window
- Capture the results (by selecting all + copy) and send it back

Thanks

John

Message 14 of 20
igorjrr
Guide

Make sure you return it asap.
You'll see in this and other threads that customers have lost hundreds of dollars believing Netgear would fix the buggy software. It's not happening and you'll end up with an expensive device that does not work.
Return as defective to the point of purchase.
Message 15 of 20
Mcfarl34
Tutor

Thanks does AT&T have any hotspots that aren’t buggy?
Message 16 of 20
Mcfarl34
Tutor

Thanks John!
Message 17 of 20
igorjrr
Guide

John has been asking for this file for months and all we got was a worse firmware a few months ago.

I think any other hotspot from ATT would be better, I really only hear serious complaints about this Netgear M6.

Exchange it for something that works better before it's too late and you lose money.
Message 18 of 20
Mcfarl34
Tutor

Is this a problem for the regular M6 too or just the M6 Pro?
Message 19 of 20
Coxeagle
Tutor

As a final.post to my issue with the M6 Pro. After spending months working on the device having our outside tech consulting company run tests the final conclusion is its junk. It is now setting in our device storage locker waiting on recycling. Basicly a huge disappointment. Netgear stated they would only replace under RMA, but after spending thousands of dollars to make the thing work we contacted T-Moble tech support. They diagnosed the device as not compatible even though the Netgear ads state it is compatable. Which to my thinking is false advertising. We purchased the Cradlepoint from T-Mobile. It arrived and we plugged it in and it works. 5g speeds and all.
Just as does my Samsung Note 20 5g we were comparing against the M6. So now I have a trophy that cost me over 1,000 + my time. Everytme I see it, I am reminded my company will never purchase another Netgear product.
Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7