× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Nighthawk M6 Pro best setup?

Thatleoguy
Follower

Nighthawk M6 Pro best setup?

I'm trying to sift through the plethora of options regarding boosting my reception signal to a new Nighthawk M6 Pro. I live in a rural area, but luckily still on the outskirts of cell towers, so hotspot is my only option for internet at my home since I've tried every satellite service out there (including starlink) and my hotspot outperforms them all. So I am looking for advise on a good antenna system to hook up to the hotspot and run outside for the best signal reception possible for my location.

Thank you, to whoever spends their time to answer this. 

Message 1 of 3
Pappapoblano
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk M6 Pro best setup?

Hi, @Thatleoguy 

I just purchased an M6 Pro as well. I don't have experience with these, but They seem like the best non-generic 4G/5G option. A little pricey if you're going to buy 2. They have the compatible TS9 connectors and 79" of coax. would perform best when mounted (magnetically) to a metal ground plane, but it seems people are getting decent performance an a windowsill, or whatnot. Not intended for permanent outdoor use.   https://www.amazon.com/Antenna-Nighthawk-Velocity-Verizon-Jetpack/dp/B00QZK8K7Y/ref=sr_1_4?crid=7Y9C...

Message 2 of 3

Re: Nighthawk M6 Pro best setup?

MR6150
After some successful repairs.
Got my device online.
Full bars on 5G.

Compared to MR1100
2-3 bars.

Bars mean nothing.
Just that you're connected.

2 to 3 bars is good.

Speedtest reports were the same with and without antenna.

Live performance tests were very substantially changed.

Adding the Bolton 5G crossbow female terminated 4G/5G antenna i was able to stabilize my live services. (Discord, Twitch, YouTube, Zoom, Skype, Teams, etc.)

Between the two services.

5G in my area offered more speed than 4G so i upgraded to MR6150.

I DO NOT LIKE THE MR6150 COMPARED TO THE STABILITY OF THE AWESOME MR1100

but the MR6150 is allowing me to broadcast 5Mbps up for over 9 hours without disconnecting over and over.

Another key note
Try all available APN for your data provider
each APN offers different pros and cons and you must test your available APN to determine which works best for you.

Parts / Steps used:
Repaired with battery, removed battery, web gui, cry about lack of open vpn support, delete unnecessary apn. Add all APN. Select best apn. B2b.static

Cry about no band selection or editing features.

Wait for internet.

Testmy.net existed 10 years before speedtest.net and imo is still the best test around.

Need more speed / stability

Turn your ho hum Hotspot into a speed demon with the Bolton crossbow 5g antenna 📡

Low Loss Coax Cable SMA N Cable 3ft, N Male to SMA Male Cable 50 ohm Jumper Cable KMR240 Ultra Low Loss Cable for WiFi Router, GPS Receiver, Antenna, Signal Booster Use
x2

4G LTE Antenna Adapter SMA Female to TS9 Connector Coaxial Pigtail Cable 15cm 6 inch
x2

Bolton Technical Crossbow 5G Hotspot Directional X-Polarised 2X2 MIMO Antenna, High Gain, 617-3800 MHz, 11 dBi gain; Compatible with All Carrier (Xpol N-Female Termination)
x1

Now I might not have the best setup. But I've certainly been working on my setup long enough to vouch for it's stability.

Only way to increase my speed/stability mire would be bigger stronger antenna or the ever more pleasant less placebo option of adding a booster to my home. Problem with adding a booster is they all are overpriced and they all require service registration with data provider. :'l
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7