× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: Nighthawk MR1100 -- Yes you can unlock on AT&T

JSchnee21
Virtuoso

Nighthawk MR1100 -- Yes you can unlock on AT&T

Sorry -- this is a repost with a better subject line:

Hi Everyone,

FYI, I was able to get AT&T to provide me with an unlock code for my MR1100.  You cannot use the web form or myATT app to unlock as it will not validate IMEI.  You must call Customer Care, get to Tier-2, and submit a case.  You'll need the device phone number, IMEI, and your account pin #.  The email response you get in a day or two will say something about carrier selection for an iPad (which is obviously wrong and prompted me to call).  You then need to call back and talk to customer care to get the unlock code which is in your case notes.  To enter the code, put in a different carrier's SIM, go to the Admin website.  Security, SIM security, and then enter the unlock code.  It will be an 8 digit numeric code.  This unlocked the SIM and enabled me to use my Tmo account as a backup provider.  BUT, you do need to manually update the APN for your provider.  Not sure if it will save once you add.  When you switch SIM's back and forth you will likely need to choose the correct APN each time.  Obviously you need to own the device, too.  Don't let AT&T tell you its already unlocked (they're not -- just put a different SIM in and you will see).  Also don't let them tell you it cannot be unlocked, this is also nonsense.  They can be unlocked on AT&T, Telstra, and other carriers.  SInce the product is new (Nov 2017) the scripts and notes the tech's have (even Tier 2) don't yet cover this device.  Just be persistent !!!

All we need now is some new firmware from Netgear/AT&T (PLEASE).  A separate thread on this.

-Jonathan

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router (US)
Message 1 of 32
JasonN
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi JSchnee21,

Thanks so much for providing these steps to the community! :]

- Jason N

Message 2 of 32
Teewee4134
Guide

Thank you for this post it was a great help I was able to unlock my device following the same step by step process.
Again thanks.
Message 3 of 32
JasonN
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thank you JSchnee for providing us with the process of unlocking your AT&T model of your MR1100. :]

- Jason N

Message 4 of 32
USAGU
Aspirant

I’ve been trying but no luck.  Can you confirm the number you called?i keep getting the Philippine call center 😞

Message 5 of 32
JSchnee21
Virtuoso

Hmmm, I don't recall exactly what day or number I called.  I believe it was a snow day here in the Northeast.  I tried to submit the request online, but the webform validation failed on the IMEI.  There might have been a phone number at the bottom of the screen or I just browsed to the main AT&T support number on their website.  I likely called mid morning, during the week (M-F).  I definately got an American (Southern).  She was very nice but not very helpful.  I was persistent in explaining my issue (using technical jargon) and after ~10min of trying to help me re-do what I had already done and failed (web submission) she put me through to Tier-2.  Tier 2 was also very nice, she listened carefully, understood what I wanted.  She, herself, wasn't able to do what I needed, but she created a case for the request.

I recently tried to unlock my new AT&T (ZTE) Velocity 2.  So far this has not been going as well.  I was able to submit the online form.  But then I got a failure email about an hour later saying that the IMEI I had entered was incorrect (it was not) and that there was no such AT&T device.  I bought my Velocity 2 from AT&T.com  I haven't yet tried to call and follow up.

I have another Hotspot with T-mobile (ZTE different model).  They're even more of a mess.  I've been working on it with them for more than a month.  Two phone calls, two emails.  B.S. about having to contact the MFG directly on my behalf to get the unlock code.

I don't know why carriers make this so hard.  Apple has it right, one unlocked device to rule them all.

Message 6 of 32
Hozefamuba
Aspirant

Zain kuwait sim unlock code
Message 7 of 32
JSchnee21
Virtuoso

Hello Hozefamuba,

Did you buy the device from the Zain group in Kuwait?  Or,  are you trying to use it with this carrier?  Devices which are locked are branded to the specific carrier that sold them -- for example AT&T in the USA, or Telstra in Australia.   If the device you have is locked, you will need to contact the carrier that sold it to get the unlock code.  They may (or may not) have to communicate with the Vendor (e.g. Netgear) directly.  My understanding is that the European version is unlocked from day 1 and not tied to any one specific carrier.  I'm only aware of these three versions globally.  But perhaps there are others now.

-Jonathan

Message 8 of 32
caseyatbt
Aspirant

I bought one that was already unlocked. What was the trick to get the APN changed? It won't let me switch over the default after I created an APN for T-Mobile.

Message 9 of 32
caseyatbt
Aspirant

I figured out that I had to change it via the webbrowser and not the app. But it says connected but I am not able to browse anywhere.

Message 10 of 32
caseyatbt
Aspirant

I figured it out. I was using my DIGITS SIM. It doesn't allow hotspot. I put in a regular SIM and it now works.

Message 11 of 32
sharmajiankur
Initiate

Hi,

The AT&T device can certainly be unlocked (got mine unlocked today). You need

1. Phone number (mobile hotspot),

2. Account Pin and

3. IMEI

Call Customer care and ask for tier 2 support. Then ask to put in the override request which can only be done by tier 2. Remeber they will send you a validation pin/otp on you phone or email which you have to give the representative (this step is important as my request was rejected after 3 days because the 1st rep did not do it and the case was closed without giving any reason). After 2-3 days they will send an email with unlock code.

Cheers!!!

Message 12 of 32
jcbrown59
Aspirant

Two Stories from AT&T •

• AT&T is Requiring Six Months of Active AT&T Service Before Providing an Unlock Code.

OR

• AT&T Nighthawk® M1 is Not Carrier Locked.

AT&T is Telling me They Cannot Generate an Unlock Code for AT&T Nighthawk® M1.

Message 13 of 32
jcbrown59
Aspirant

Third Call to AT&T.  Hotspot has to have Service for 60 Days.  Case Opened to get Unlock Code.

Message 14 of 32
JSchnee21
Virtuoso

Are you a new/recent AT&T customer?  I've heard of people mentioning the 60 day waiting period, but I've not experienced it myself.   I've been and AT&T/Cingular/CellOne customer for more than 20 yrs.

I received my Nighthawk on Feb 22nd 2018, and my unlock request was completed on March 9th.  I don't recall exactly when I called AT&T but it was probably around March 5th or so.  This was a new line addition to my existing Unlimited plan (which already had 2 or 3 lines), with device paid in full at purchase from att.com.

Now at the time, the Nighthawk was so new, one could not use the online (web based) unlock request.  I had to call support, get to Tier2, who then put in a request for Tier3.  A few days later I got an email telling me my "iPad Pro" had been unlocked but received no unlock code.  I called back, had to get to Tier2 again, and the tech gave me the unlock code which was in the case notes.

While I like to keep my devices unlocked, my question for you is what's the rush?  Are you planning to use the device on another carrier without AT&T service?  If you're traveling, I'd recommend using the International Day pass.  It's expensive ($13/day with taxes) but worked well IMHO.

Message 15 of 32
jcbrown59
Aspirant

Device Unlock Code Received.

Message 16 of 32
JSchnee21
Virtuoso

Awesome!

So did you end up having to wait 60 days or was this just more Tier 1 BS?

-Jonathan

Message 17 of 32
helix919
Tutor

So I just contacted AT&T to get my 2nd (I use these devices for work) unlocked.  The 2nd one I didn't even bother activating on my unlimited plan (one because why, and two my unlimited plan is maxed out and I can't add any other devices).  I called in to the 611 number and explained what I wanted to do, the woman entered some details, and took the IMEI number, and asked if I could e-mail her a copy of the receipt showing I paid "full price" for the device, simple since I purchased from Best Buy and have a PDF of the receipt. 

Theoretically I'll receive the unlock code in 48 hours.  ha...  If this process was actually this easy people wouldn't have all the issues reported in this forum...  I figure I have about a 30% chance of getting that code in the next 48 hours....

Message 18 of 32
helix919
Tutor

So I did recieve my unlock code from AT&T.  The orginal e-Mail I recived said "unfortunatly we can not unlock your device.", I called and after bouncing through 15 different people I made it to a tier 3 person who was able to give me the code right over the phone....  boom, unlocked.

Message 19 of 32
Synoptex
Aspirant

Good day.
A few days ago I've purchased AT&T's MR1100. Purchased for the full price. I would like to unlock it, but I'm not in US anymore so I cannot call they support. Also failing unlock via website, giving me "Too many attempts, please try in 30 days".

Can somebody please make a phone call for me to their support and receive my Unlock code for me? From my side I'll gift something for you via eBay or Amazon etc. around 30 USD worth 🙂

Please, would really appreciate your help.
Thank you in advance.
Message 20 of 32
jcbrown59
Aspirant

Hotspot has to be Active with AT&T for 60 Days Before They’ll Unlock it.  AT&T Sends Text Message to Hotspot for Verification Before Generating Unlock Code.

Message 21 of 32
JSchnee21
Virtuoso

Unless something changed from when I had mine unlocked (possible as it was 10 mos ago -- March 2018) the website cannot be used to request an unlock.  You must call customer service.  You must get to tier 2, and they must create a case.  Tier 3 is required to generate / issue the unlock code.  After Tier 2 creates a ticket, in a few days to a week you will get an email which says your case is resolved, but there may be no unlock code in the email.  You may have to call back and have them retrieve the unlock code from the case notes.

There's no reason this could not be done from another country, but you will have to pay for one or more phone calls to AT&T support.  

The 60-day waiting period is something of a red herring.  I personally did not experience it.  but some people have.  Likely this is just Tier 1 bullsh$t.

It's you're device, you paid full price for it, and no contract is required.  The FCC requires them to give you an unlock code.

Message 22 of 32
JSchnee21
Virtuoso

No txt message to the device is required. I've had AT&T (and Tmo) unlock a lot of my older devices which don't even have cellular plans any more.

What is required (for non-Apple devices) is that you must put in a 3rd party SIM in order to get to the menu where you enter the unlock pin code.

For Apple devices, it sux, you have to wipe and then setup the device as new using iTunes.  Then you will get a message saying the device is unlocked.  Then you can restore from your iTunes or iCloud backup, and then install the new 3rd part SIM. 

Message 23 of 32
Synoptex
Aspirant

Unfortunately I'm not able to call as I'm out of any network coverage. I'm at sea at the moment. As well as my english is not perfect
That is why I'm asking if anyone can do it (call) for me if I provide all the details of hotspot. Of course not for free. 🙂 Please? Anyone? )
Message 24 of 32
Synoptex
Aspirant

Ok, you CAN'T unlock your router if you don't have AT&T Account.

I have opened case, I have email stating that my iPad Pro is unlocked. Even the rep. can see my unlock-key, but he can't provide it as I don't have AT&T Account Number and he can't identify me.

CASE: CM20190209_139505370
IMEI: 015161001506644

Stuck with USD 200 non working device.
Thank you, NETGEAR.
Message 25 of 32
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 31 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7