× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Nighthawk MR1100 extreme data use, connection problems

rleamon
Initiate

Nighthawk MR1100 extreme data use, connection problems

Howdy -- I'm using an MR1100 in a vacation home and have a weird problem. As shown on the attached data log screenshot, every few minutes almost exactly 46081.0 KB of data is logged on the account. I have an eero mesh network connected to the router (with the Nighthawk wifi turned off). The eero app shows very little data usage on the network per device but even so, I'm hit with this 46MB usage consistently. I've run the Nighthawk without the eero, have factory reset the Nighthawk at AT&T's suggestion, and the behavior is the same. AT&T has not been able to help, and I don't know of a way to identify the exact nature of this data. Also, the MR1100 loses the LTE connection after a day or so, consistently, and does not pick it back up. Should I replace the Nighthawk with another, or with a Velocity 2 as AT&T suggested, or...? TIA!

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router (US)
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
conceptumator
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk MR1100 extreme data use, connection problems

That got it!  Guess I just wasn't holding my mouth right or something. :0)  Actually, as dumb as it sounds, I think my mistake may have been in not restarting the MR1100 with the Eero attached.  I was restarting the Eero but not the modem.  Thanks so much for your help - you have a great day.  Hope you get your issue solved soon.  Take care.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
conceptumator
Aspirant

Good morning!  Sorry I don't have an answer to the problem you posted, but I had another question I was hoping you could help me with.  I've just set up the MR1100 to get internet for the house after our recent move into the boondocks of NW Arkansas and am having trouble getting my Eero to work with the MR1100.  Can you tell me how you got yours to work with the Eero?  Thanks. 

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router (US)
Message 2 of 4
rleamon
Initiate

I don't recall it being a big issue -- used the eero app and followed instructions. As I recall, you turn off the hotspot (hold the button until you see the battery symbol), plug an Ethernet cable from the eero into the hotstpot, turn on the hotspot (hold button again), then plug in the eero. There is a "do not let Ethernet go to sleep" command somewhere, perhaps only in the web admin page (vs the app), so be sure that's off. Let the "gateway" eero, which is the one connected by Ethernet to the hotspot, get up and running, then add others. As I recall, you have to have an active Internet connection for the eero setup to work. Good luck!

Message 3 of 4
conceptumator
Aspirant

That got it!  Guess I just wasn't holding my mouth right or something. :0)  Actually, as dumb as it sounds, I think my mistake may have been in not restarting the MR1100 with the Eero attached.  I was restarting the Eero but not the modem.  Thanks so much for your help - you have a great day.  Hope you get your issue solved soon.  Take care.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7