× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Nighthawk MR1100 reboots randomly

OkieBobby
Guide

Nighthawk MR1100 reboots randomly

First time posting here. I have searched the forums and haven’t seen this particular issue.

I have the Netgear Nighthawk MR1100/M1 for use with OTRMobile that uses ATT towers. I live in a rural area and we use this as our family’s constant internet solution. We have had it for I believe 9 or 10 months. As per the instructions since we use it in constant on I removed the battery and plug into the wall and run it without the battery. Within the last month to 2 months, the M1 will reboot itself at random times. Really no rhyme or reason timing wise. We could go hours without it happening or it could do it 3 times within 30 minutes. I did some research and saw about a possible issue with the power supply included with purchase not providing enough power without the battery and the suggestion to buy a more powerful charger with Quick Charge 3.0. I bought the Anker PowerPort+1 with Quick Charge 3.0 and it arrived today. I changed out the power supplies and within about 20 minutes the M1 shutoff and would not turn on with the power button and wouldn’t power back on without unplugging it and plugging it back in. I completed a factory reset as suggested by OTR and after about an hour of use, it shut off again and would not turn on with the power button and only by unplugging and plugging back in again. I was really hoping It would stop the reboot issues but it now seems it has caused a different one. Any ideas on what may be wrong/how I can fix this? Thanks.
Model: MR1100|Nighthawk M1 Mobile Router
Message 1 of 8
OkieBobby
Guide

Re: Nighthawk MR1100 reboots randomly

Edited original message to say: I run it WITHOUT the battery in. Didn’t catch the typo.
Message 2 of 8
plemans
Guru

it might be a heat issue. QC 2.0 and 3.0 input higher voltage during charging/usage which can generate more heat. And if its rebooting because it got to hot, the QC isn't going to help. 

What I'd try?

Install the battery and go back to the stock charger. For a couple reasons. A. it'll act as a heat sink. B. If it is the charger not quite being able to power it during full usage, the battery will supply the extra voltage.

You'd probably be ok with the QC device if the battery was in there and fully charged. 

Another thing you can try is a laptop cooler or a different small fan. If its actually caused from over heating, a small fan can help move a little air over it. 

Message 3 of 8
OkieBobby
Guide

The concern I have with putting the battery in is that because we use it as our always on internet that the battery will overheat and cause similar problems. It was recommended that way so that’s why I went that route. Do you not think the battery being in constantly would also lead to this problem?
Message 4 of 8
plemans
Guru

I've read of it working either way.

If you do want to run without a battery the charger needs to at least put out 2.4amp at 5 volts. maybe the one you bought isn't outputting 2.4amp at 5v. 

Message 5 of 8
jlam1
Initiate

Since the new firmware upgrade to 12.06.08 I am experiencing similar behavior.  I am running without battery with the Anker plug and prior to the update it ran for weeks if not months on end.  Since the update it has been rebooting every couple days.  And rebooting is not really the correct term.  It is just shutting down and requires the power cable to be disconnected and then reconnected.  I am going to put the battery in with the old charger and see if that helps.  Very annoying as I use this at a cabin an hour away which makes getting it reconnected a chore.  

Message 6 of 8
jcbjcbjcb
Aspirant

I have the same problem, just started this week.
Message 7 of 8
Sonko
Aspirant

Same issue here. Once a day my M1 “hangs” meaning it appears to brick itself: the LCD screen will not come on despite multiple button pushes or holds, and strangely, the LED is blinking rapidly a very faint orange color. Holding the power button does nothing. Only unplugging the powered usb and reattaching seems to resolve the issue. I use my M1 without WiFi attached via Ethernet cable to a new Netgear router, Ethernet Port sleeping is disabled, as is WiFi from the M1. No battery installed either...using an Ankor 18w qualcom quick charge adapter. Yes, running current firmware too. Having this happen once a day is not convenient by any means. Suggestions?
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7