× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Nighthawk MR6500 Pro M6 Battery Overheat; Mobile or Homebase or Both

skaybird
Tutor

Nighthawk MR6500 Pro M6 Battery Overheat; Mobile or Homebase or Both

We've had an overheat issue where the NETGEAR MR6500 Pro 6 would shutdown.  According to the instruction manual, you are not suppose to run with the battery and use the AC battery supply.  Is this correct? 

Also, an AT&T rep told us you have to run a battery and that this is a mobile hotspot, and is suppose to be used not as a stand-along router.  So what is this suppose to be used for? We have a small farming business and is used inside the house only. Purchased on the advice of a AT&T rep (independent).  

Does anyone have a way to keep the MR6500 from overheating either with a cooling fan or sitting on an AC duct?

Thanks in advance

Steve Kay-Pheasant Hollow Farm

Message 1 of 42
RidgeRunner1775
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk MR6500 Pro M6 Battery Overheat; Mobile or Homebase or Both

Exact same issue. The device gets extremely hot and becomes unresponsive. Most of the time the screen will blink on and off before any user inputs can register so I am forced to pull the plug, let it cool down and reboot.

Bettery is out, original power brick and cable, and wifi is off.

The device is unusable in this state.
Message 2 of 42
ArodiD
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @skaybird and @RidgeRunner1775 ,

Can you please provide the below details from Settings>More>Device Information screen on the LCD?

IMEI:

FW Version:

Please also provide the following from the device when you experience the issue.

- Login as admin via the WebUI (http://192.168.1.1).  Default password: attadmin

- Open a new tab in the same browser and browse to http://192.168.1.1/model.json

- Copy the contents from the web browser and paste it into notepad or similar.

- Upload the contents to this post.

The MR6500 can be powered ON without a battery.  This is the recommended method of operation if you plan to keep it plugged in all the time.  Also, please make sure to use the supplied power adapter and cable.

Regards,

ArodiD

Message 3 of 42
skaybird
Tutor

IMEI:  

NTGX65_10.01.47.00

That's it for now.  Having difficulty with the upload.

Message 4 of 42
RidgeRunner1775
Aspirant

Good morning, 

Thank you for reaching out. I do not feel comfortable posting this information on a public forum. 

Message 5 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

@ArodiD @RidgeRunner1775 @skaybird 

I recommend that when that kind info information is needed that you send @ArodiD a PM directly so as to keep that information more private. Please avoid posting any MAC/WAN addresses, IMEI numbers and product serial numbers in the forums for security reasons.

Message 6 of 42
ArodiD
NETGEAR Expert

Please PM the details.

Message 7 of 42
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

Could you please explain in detail how you set up M6 to use with your clients?

1. How many clients - WiFi and/or Ethernet?

2. Are there clients keep sending or receiving data?

3. How are the clients typically used, such as streaming, Gaming, etc.

When you feel the device is hot, could you please log in to WebUI and provide the battery temp and device temp under Diagnose page?

Thanks

John

Message 8 of 42

Not the original OP on this thread, but I am (and have been for the past 2 months) experiencing the same issue. In fact, I submitted a warranty claim with AT&T and received a new Nighthawk M6 today as well and it started with these same issues right out of the box.

*My* device is set up in this way: It is plugged into the outlet using the original AC adaptor and USB C cable with no battery, running only on AC power. Wifi is disabled on the device and it is piping out of the Ethernet port to a more powerful Netgear router for whole house usage.

There are at least 6 clients on the Netgear router all using various devices for streaming/downloading/browsing/gamimg/household use.

I need to enable WIFI from the device directly to see the temp. Per the WebUI, the device begins to stop responding (screen freezing, internet failing) at about 47°C. When operating in AC mode, the temperature climbs rapidly from 35°C to 47°C in a matter of minutes. There is no battery temp as the battery is not in the device.

This is on current firmware version NTGX65_10.01.47.00
Message 9 of 42
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

Please provide the model.json file and send PM to me.

- Logon to the webui (http://192.168.1.1 ) as an administrator
- Navigate to URL http://192.168.1.1/model.json via the same browser window
- Capture the results (by selecting all + copy) and send it back

Thanks

@Kartoffelkonig9 wrote:
Not the original OP on this thread, but I am (and have been for the past 2 months) experiencing the same issue. In fact, I submitted a warranty claim with AT&T and received a new Nighthawk M6 today as well and it started with these same issues right out of the box.

*My* device is set up in this way: It is plugged into the outlet using the original AC adaptor and USB C cable with no battery, running only on AC power. Wifi is disabled on the device and it is piping out of the Ethernet port to a more powerful Netgear router for whole house usage.

There are at least 6 clients on the Netgear router all using various devices for streaming/downloading/browsing/gamimg/household use.

I need to enable WIFI from the device directly to see the temp. Per the WebUI, the device begins to stop responding (screen freezing, internet failing) at about 47°C. When operating in AC mode, the temperature climbs rapidly from 35°C to 47°C in a matter of minutes. There is no battery temp as the battery is not in the device.

This is on current firmware version NTGX65_10.01.47.00

Message 10 of 42

PM’d!
Message 11 of 42
zbrown8482
Aspirant

I am having the exact same issues. I purchased the unit brand new in August 2022 and about 2 weeks into using it the unit would go unresponsive and unable to use the screen when it got hot. Unit is plugged in without the battery in it and using the ethernet cable. Unit will not work until unplugged and has cooled down. Are there any fixes to this issue yet?
Message 12 of 42

Ive found that not letting the screen go to sleep and keeping the battery in it (even though its not good for the battery) helps, but it still will overheat and freeze eventually. Other than that, no permanent or absolute solutions so far. John Peng is very helpful so far, I just sent him some info from my device when it failed so hopefully that will help him.
Message 13 of 42
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@zbrown8482 wrote:
I am having the exact same issues. I purchased the unit brand new in August 2022 and about 2 weeks into using it the unit would go unresponsive and unable to use the screen when it got hot. Unit is plugged in without the battery in it and using the ethernet cable. Unit will not work until unplugged and has cooled down. Are there any fixes to this issue yet?

Could you please specify in details how you use the device?

1. Are you using ethernet port?

2. How many WiFi clients are connected to the device?

3. How heavy data are used on each client?

4. How long does it take for the lockup to happen?

5. Can you log in to WebUI to check what is the device temperature when the lockup happens?

6. What is the carrier SIM you are using, AT&T or Firstnet?

Thanks

John

Message 14 of 42
zbrown8482
Aspirant

1. I am using the ethernet for a work computer
2. Usually during the day only one cell phone is connected to the wifi but typically isn't in use during that time
3. Unsure about the amount of data that is being used but believe it is heavy data usage. I am not the one home at the time. It is my spouses work computer. Typically the unit won't work until 7:45 am and that is leaving it unplugged and off overnight and it won't connect to any device until it's been reset one or multiple times after the 7:30am mark.
4. It varies on when it locks up sometimes right away and sometimes it lasts 10hrs. I haven't found an exact rhyme or reason yet
5. I have not been able to use WebUi yet because I am not home when it happens.
6. Firstnet
Message 15 of 42
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@zbrown8482 @Kartoffelkonig9 

Thanks for reporting the issue on the community. After checking with the internal team, I can confirm that the issue is related to using the device without battery. We have a fix for this already. We are going to submit the release to AT&T get their approval before releasing it. 

I will keep you posted on the progress. For now, you can work around the issue by using the battery as @Kartoffelkonig9 suggested.

Regards

John

Message 16 of 42

@JohnPeng

Thank you for the update. Hopefully AT&T will approve the fix sooner rather than later. Even with the battery still in the device, its overheating, it just seems to happen less often. The last two days were actually relatively stable for me, but it just overheated again 3 times in the last two hours.

Is it an issue with the device itself or with the firmware? If you can answer or happen to know.
Message 17 of 42
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@Kartoffelkonig9 wrote:
@JohnPeng

Thank you for the update. Hopefully AT&T will approve the fix sooner rather than later. Even with the battery still in the device, its overheating, it just seems to happen less often. The last two days were actually relatively stable for me, but it just overheated again 3 times in the last two hours.

Is it an issue with the device itself or with the firmware? If you can answer or happen to know.

This is FW issue. Device getting hot during data transferring is expected since the chips are getting more powerful and smaller. we have implemented the mitigation algorithm to reduce the performance impact due to heat.

Thanks

John

Message 18 of 42
Scoe-z
Tutor

Will you post to let us know when it's available?

I purchased mine 1 week ago and have the same issue. Right now it's at 54c with no battery.

Message 19 of 42
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@Scoe-z wrote:

Will you post to let us know when it's available?

I purchased mine 1 week ago and have the same issue. Right now it's at 54c with no battery.

Device getting hot during the usage is not an issue as long as it is within the design spec. 

Could you please explain in detail on your test setup and how many clients connected?

Thanks

Message 20 of 42
Scoe-z
Tutor

I believe you already addressed the issue here.

My setup is the same as all the others posted. No battery, provided adapter, 15 clients, no gaming, latest firmware, ATT, Advanced power mode, and so on. Router freezes and a reboot is needed. This is for home use with only me and two teens. Devices include 4 cameras, 3 tablets, 2 tvs, 3 phones, 2 laptops, and a thermostat. I was just wondering about the mitigation algorithm since I only have 9 days left to return device to ATT.

"This is FW issue. Device getting hot during data transferring is expected since the chips are getting more powerful and smaller. we have implemented the mitigation algorithm to reduce the performance impact due to heat."

Message 21 of 42
qaidfor
Aspirant

If your router is hot to the touch, it could be a sign that a firmware update is needed. If that doesn't do the trick, you might need to add a cooling element—especially if you're working it hard. Generally, you want router temperature below 90 degrees Fahrenheit.

Message 22 of 42
Mrspethel
Initiate

I am having this same issue. Any update on when the firmware will be available?
Message 23 of 42
Scoe-z
Tutor

It's above 100 by just turning it on and not connecting a device. I will try a fan.
Message 24 of 42
qaidfor
Aspirant

could you please log in to WebUI and provide the battery temp and device temp under Diagnose page forpc.onl youtube vanced for pc

Message 25 of 42
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 41 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 13 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7