× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Nighthawk m1 external antenna setup

Sixtsixmike
Aspirant

Nighthawk m1 external antenna setup

Hello all,
Just ordered 2 Wilson 10dbi yagi's and cables and patch cords, etc.
My question is how do you have yours mounted?
Stacked, side by side, or + 45 -45
In in a rural area in east T.N. and only get 1 sometimes 2 bars @ 2-4 gb if I stand in the right spot.
Trying to limit my trips up on the roof if I can get the rig setup before and and just put some lag bolts in my pocket and a wrench and 1 and done this joker the first time! Thanks
Model: MR1100|NIGHTHAWK M1
Message 1 of 7
UK-based
Luminary

Re: Nighthawk m1 external antenna setup

I'm no expert in antenna design but this short video has some useful tips. It seems that the 90 degree (orthogonal) spacing, whether that be horizontal/vertical or +/-45 degrees is of most use in cities or locations where there are sufficient objects in the signal path to produce signal diversity, in which the simultaneously transmitted data streams (on the same frequency) are received at slightly different times, allowing the data streams to be differentiated from each other. However, in rural areas with very open spaces, there's little signal diversity, so the above video advises that the vertical stacking is most likely to produce the best results. The video also suggests the minimum spacing.

And this article indicates that mixing horizontal/vertical and +/-45 degree polarizations between transmitter and receiver doesn't impact signal strength.

In order to save you having to get on the roof too many times, could you do some trials with different antenna orientations and spacing from a lower location, using a speed test application? At least this might give you an indication of what's going to be the best solution before getting on the roof.

Message 2 of 7
KarmusDK
Apprentice

I just bought two cross-polarized MIMO antennas with one horizontal antenna and one vertical antenna on each wire. Question is, how are the four LTE antennas configured - lower-left, upper-left, upper-right, lower-right. (There is actually six antennas, where the two uppermost internal ones are used for wifi - I assume either dual-band 2.4 and 5GHz or Tx/Rx configuration on one of either bands.) Which one of the TS-9 ports is the receiver and which one is the transmitter? Would it be best to do a dual polarization on the download (Rx) and ditto on the upload (Tx), or use cross-polarization on either one?

Message 3 of 7
KarmusDK
Apprentice

(can't edit post no more) I guess it depends on the frequencies used. So let me clarify my question: are the internal antennas preconfigured for specific bands, or do they choose automatically depending on the local conditions?

Message 4 of 7
Richard_J
Tutor

My friend told me when you installing the Nighthawk M1 antenna, you need to adjust the antenna direction and see the signal bar on the Nighthawk M1. When you get the possible best effect, then let the antenna in this direction and fix it.

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router (US)
Message 5 of 7
Richard_J
Tutor

My friend told me when you installing the Nighthawk M1 antenna, you need to adjust the antenna direction and see the signal bar on the Nighthawk M1. When you get the possible best effect, then let the antenna in this direction and fix it.

In the web UI or Netgear APP, no setup for external antenna available. 

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router (US)
Message 6 of 7
Jensmobile
Aspirant

If you buy the external antenna for your Nighthawk M1 router, then please point it to the base station. And it would be great if you adjust it to the right place. If possible, make the cable length as short as possible.  

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7