× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: Nighthawk m1 in-vehicle power

theCrazy
Aspirant

Nighthawk m1 in-vehicle power

Hi,

i’m Planning to install nighthawk m1 in my car and hide it inside the car trim. I have power connector harness but I don’t know if there is a custom way to power the router using that harness. All, I know is that it has USBC port but there is no adapter from the connector harness to usbc.

I can power it using the 12 volt power socket and usbc converter but it would be visible.

any help would be much appreciated.

i attached a photo for clarification. 

Cheers,

adam

Model: MR1100|NIGHTHAWK M1
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
JSchnee21
Virtuoso

I don't understand what the OP is asking.  The MR1100 supports USB 5V OR USB 9V (QC2/3) via its USB-C connector.  The OP needs to buy a 12V to USB charging adapter (preferrably QC2/3) to use to convert from 12-14 VDC in the car to what the MR1100 needs.  Where he places said adapter and/or the MR1100 is up to him.

The simplest thing to do would be to purchase these items:

https://www.amazon.com/d/Automotive-Electrical-Parts/KUNCAN-Cigarette-Alligator-Crocodile-Connector/...

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Charge-Charger-PowerDrive-Poweriq/dp/B017JTEQKO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=...

Tape/cable tie them together, cut off the aligator clips and connect it to the cars 12V system.  Then tuck these and the MR1100 (without battery) away anywhere he likes.  Glove box?  Center console?  Trunk?

View solution in original post

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router (US)
Message 3 of 7

All Replies
Oxygene
Apprentice

You should go to another forum. Car or Land Rover forums.... or ask some electrician guy.

Message 2 of 7
JSchnee21
Virtuoso

I don't understand what the OP is asking.  The MR1100 supports USB 5V OR USB 9V (QC2/3) via its USB-C connector.  The OP needs to buy a 12V to USB charging adapter (preferrably QC2/3) to use to convert from 12-14 VDC in the car to what the MR1100 needs.  Where he places said adapter and/or the MR1100 is up to him.

The simplest thing to do would be to purchase these items:

https://www.amazon.com/d/Automotive-Electrical-Parts/KUNCAN-Cigarette-Alligator-Crocodile-Connector/...

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Charge-Charger-PowerDrive-Poweriq/dp/B017JTEQKO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=...

Tape/cable tie them together, cut off the aligator clips and connect it to the cars 12V system.  Then tuck these and the MR1100 (without battery) away anywhere he likes.  Glove box?  Center console?  Trunk?

Message 3 of 7
theCrazy
Aspirant

Thanks for your help, I might do exactly that. Buy the 2 you have mentioned and connnect then together then one end to the car power connector harness and the other (USB) to the router (usbc port).

Message 4 of 7
theCrazy
Aspirant

One last question, is the router with its battery suitable for car conditions. When it is sunny the car gets hot, etc. ?? I will keep the router always inside the car in the luggage compartment hidden. As per the pic, besides the fuse box in the luggage compartment. 

Message 5 of 7
JSchnee21
Virtuoso

Sounds good.  Glad I could help.  Anker does make a newer version of their QC2/3 car charger but it's like twice the price and I'm not sure its really any better.

I would suggest removing the battery and running without it.  The MR1100 should turn on automatically when USB power is applied (mine does -- it's actually pretty annoying for my application) and it will turn off/die as soon as power is removed -- assuming the battery has been removed.

The MR1100 runs just fine without a battery assuming, especially when using a QC2/3 power supply.  Under heavy loads on a 5V supply it can crash sometimes.

I would remove the battery for two reasons:

1) prevent excessive charge/discharge cycles

2) prevent exposure of battery to heat and cold of the car

The MR1100 itself should be fine.

FYI, AT&T just started selling the Mobley hotspot again.  It's OBDII powered.  Though it's not as fast.  My kids use the MR1100 in the car all the time, but they run it off of its internal battery.  Though I do have a charger for it as well in the car which we use on long trips.

Message 6 of 7
theCrazy
Aspirant

Thank you so much for the invaluable info.

I will have to keep the battery as I have parking mode on for my dash cam which runs for 12 hours. I need the router to supply internet for as long as it’s battery can in parking mode.

Will give it a try and see what happens. If I feel it is getting really heated, may be will install a small fan that runs off 12v power source.

Cheers,
Adam
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7