× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

ORBI - dropping WiFi

trueluddite
Aspirant

ORBI - dropping WiFi

as you can tell by my name i am clueless, so respond to me as you would to a 4th grader.

ISSUE: for the past 24 hours we have been unable to maintain WiFi connection (i.e. 'net connections on phones, iPads, RokuTV keep 'dropping'). for example, try to access a website via iPad: 'cannot access because not connected' message appears. same with TV and phones. 

REMEDIATION: re-booted modem/router innumerable times; re-booted devices innumerable times; walked through various 'pings' and other steps with cable company csr (we have a strong signal).

usually, when the connection 'drops', if i turn off WiFi (to the iPad, for example) and turn it back on, i will have access for a while; then it will 'drop' again.

we have the ORBI system referenced above, with the main router/modem on the 2nd floor, a repeater on the first floor and another in the basement. usually works great. devices using the network are iPads (2), RokuTV, iPhones (12 &13) and school Chromebooks.

i note that the lighted 'ring' at the top of the main router/modem is slow-flashing white; does that denote something is wrong?

any help will be greatly appreciated!

Model: CBR40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 3
trueluddite
Aspirant

Re: ORBI - dropping WiFi

BTW: i just read through soe of the recommendaed responses to similar questions. each appears to be written in a language that i do not understand. if you have advice for me, please provide it in " disocnnect the white cable connected to the ..." or " go to 'Settings', drop down to 'X', do 'Y', then ..."

i am that simple ... sorry.

Message 2 of 3

Re: ORBI - dropping WiFi

Many questions are common to lots of devices but in this case your Orbi router is nothing like the "Mobile Routers, Hotspots & Modems" covered in this section.

You might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers specific to your device, in the appropriate section for your hardware. That's probably here:

Orbi - NETGEAR Communities

I will ask the Netgear moderator to move your message.

In the meantime you could visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware. Look at the label on the device for the model number.

You may have done this already. I can't tell from your message.

I mention it because Netgear stopped supplying printed manuals and CD versions some years ago and people sometimes miss the downloads.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7