× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Powerline Extender input source

Papahale
Follower

Powerline Extender input source

Hello! I have AT&T DSL and yesterday it went down. The technician wanted to run new wiring, but couldn't get it to the computer room, so he installed a new modem/router on the kitchen counter, modifying an old phone jack into an ethernet port. So I have a modem/wifi unit and cables on the kitchen counter where we cook . . not acceptable. I need to get an internet connection back into the computer room and move the router back in there where it belongs. If I buy a Powerline PLW1000 or similar, can I connect the ethernet port directly to the Powerline adaptor, then jump it to the other room? Or does the input for that adaptor have to come out of a router? Thanks! 

Message 1 of 4

Re: Powerline Extender input source

@Papahale wrote:

If I buy a Powerline PLW1000 or similar, can I connect the ethernet port directly to the Powerline adaptor, then jump it to the other room? Or does the input for that adaptor have to come out of a router?

Not sure that  follow what you want to connect to what, especially as you have posted on the section given over to Mobile Routers, Hotspots & Modems. (Is there one of these somewhere on your network.)

The idea of the Powerline plug is that you connect one ("host") plug to something that can reach out to the Internet. This usually means one of the ports on the router. The other ("guest") plug then works like a simple bit of Ethernet cable. You plug something onto that to get on to the Internet.

The host plug does not have to connect to the router. As long as the host plug has Internet access, so will the guest plug.

In my case I have connected the host plug to the router through an unmanaged 16-port ethernet switch.

This but doesn't make much sense to me:

@Papahale wrote:

The technician wanted to run new wiring, but couldn't get it to the computer room, so he installed a new modem/router on the kitchen counter, modifying an old phone jack into an ethernet port.

There is no way I know of that anyone can convert a phone socket into an Ethernet port. The socket may look like an Ethernet port, and an Ethernet cable may fit into it, but it isn't Ethernet.

What is this modem that the technician installed?

Where does the DSL line come into the property?

Where do you want to put the modem?

(On the kitchen work top is a dumb idea. Sounds like the technician was either inexperienced or wanted to do a bodge job and get out as quickly as possible. I'd complain to the ISP.)

Whatever the answers, this probably isn't the best place to ask for help. Most of the people who hang around here are using a modem that uses a cellphone service. That's nothing like DSL.

You might get more help in the appropriate section for your hardware. That's probably here:

Powerline Networking - NETGEAR Communities

Message 2 of 4
jamesdclark
Aspirant

@Papahale wrote:

Hello! I have AT&T DSL and yesterday it went down. The technician wanted to run new wiring, but couldn't get it to the computer room, so he installed a new modem/router on the kitchen counter, modifying an old phone jack into an ethernet port. So I have a modem/wifi unit and cables on the kitchen counter where we cook . . not acceptable. I need to get an internet connection back into the computer room and move the router back in there where it belongs. If I buy a Powerline PLW1000 or similar, can I connect the ethernet port directly to the Powerline adaptor, then jump it to the other room? Or does the input for that adaptor have to come out of a router? Thanks! 

In the sense you want i think its not possible. You have to call again to setup on computer room . That's the best thing because expert do what they are in expert.

Message 3 of 4
jamesdclark
Aspirant

@Papahale wrote:

In the sense you want i think its not possible. You have to call again to setup on computer room . That's the best thing because expert do what they are in expert.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7