× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: Pre-Sales Help -- Does Netgear have a solution?

Digital999
Luminary

Pre-Sales Help -- Does Netgear have a solution?

I am looking for a 'reverse' hotspot device....

I have an internal LAN -- lots of workstations and devices.

I have a TP-Link load balanceing router -- multiple ports going to the Internet.  One is DSL, another is satellite.  The router has a load balanceing alogrithim that distributes the internal traffic across the available WAN ports to the Internet. 

Internet is hard to get where I am but there are cell towers.

I am looking for a device, like a hotspot, that can connect to a the cell service and in turn connect to the router.  It would be another access pathway to the Internet. 

It would only have one port going to the Internet router and modem connections to the cell signals governed by the plan that the cell folks offer.

Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Digital999
Luminary

As I mentioned earlier, I had an LB1120 about six months ago and it would not work. Technical support from Netgear was sub-optimal to non-existant.

Technical support from the cell provider (AT&T) was the essential equivalent of a blank stare.

As I mouse around it seems that the modem providers (Netgear, et al) and the Cell providers do a dance of 'we want your money but do not want to give up too much cell capacity' all played to the tune of 'not our problem'.

https://ltehacks.com/viewtopic.php?p=5790#p5790 

The URL leads to a page that discusses cell plans and varous restrictions imposed by the cell provider.  The Netgear item is apparently not well received by most providers, hence the issues involved.  If I am to guess, it has to do with ther IMEI and the provider blocking that device. 

That is why I am seeking advice from somebody who hopefully has implemented a solution. 

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Message 2 of 6
Digital999
Luminary

Thanks for the suggestion.  I had one about six months ago and it would not work.  Technical support from Netgear was sub-optimal to non-existant.  In our facility I have 8 Netgear NAS and AP systems deployed and I am quite familiar with the Netgear support pardigm, but this support experience was much worse.  Possibly because it is a consumer product.   

TP-Link (my router vendor) pointed to Netgear and Netgear shrugged their shoulders and told me to return it 'since it may be defective'

Amazon took it back and now I am reluctant to try again until I hear from somebody who has done what I am attempting. 

Thanks again for the suggestion.

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

One thing.

Most hotspots have their own integrated routing functions. 

did you disable it (hotspots routing functions) when you set it up prior that way your load balancing router was acting as the primary for routing? Its bridge mode for the LB1120

Or even somethign like the MR5200 in bridge/passthrough mode? 

you might not find many people setting up what you have with the load balancing on here. I hope you do though!

Message 4 of 6
Digital999
Luminary

As I mentioned earlier, I had an LB1120 about six months ago and it would not work. Technical support from Netgear was sub-optimal to non-existant.

Technical support from the cell provider (AT&T) was the essential equivalent of a blank stare.

As I mouse around it seems that the modem providers (Netgear, et al) and the Cell providers do a dance of 'we want your money but do not want to give up too much cell capacity' all played to the tune of 'not our problem'.

https://ltehacks.com/viewtopic.php?p=5790#p5790 

The URL leads to a page that discusses cell plans and varous restrictions imposed by the cell provider.  The Netgear item is apparently not well received by most providers, hence the issues involved.  If I am to guess, it has to do with ther IMEI and the provider blocking that device. 

That is why I am seeking advice from somebody who hopefully has implemented a solution. 

Message 5 of 6
Digital999
Luminary

After much research and fiddling I have determined a 'solution' to my issue of a hotspot router type device integrating into our network. 

We have an operational Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router.  It was purchased from AT&T and works as I would expect when connected to our TP-Link gateway router device along with two other WAN interfaces.  Load sharing occurs and it has demonstrated good connectivity and data speeds as implemented. 

Along the way I have determined (at least for our circumstance) the following tips...

• AT&T service is tied to the 'type' of account
  • Consumers and typical cell phone accounts are denied access via hotspot modems because of their account type/plan.
  • The denial is related to the APN and the device IMEI and the AT&T internal algorithm which apparently is very proprietary.
  • As best as I can tell the various AT&T and T-Mobile plans change periodically and they grandfather in old plans and their then current rules.

I needed to establish a new Business account with AT&T.  That required proof of business existence -- i.e. registration information.

• AT&T delivered me a device with a SIM card installed.
  • It worked perfectly as I would expected -- I was astounded
  • The serial number of the device, even though it is a NETGEAR device, is different and Netgear will not recognize that device for registration purposes. 
  • The account monthly cost was 20% less expensive than a personal account -- go figure.

The process and convoluted rules with lack of transparency by the carrier and NETGEAR were frustrating. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7