× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: Problem with LB1120

mondofresh
Initiate

Problem with LB1120

My LB1120 on Verizon has been working fine for the past 3 months. Last week the unit stopped working.

Here is what I'm seeing:

Solid amber power light

The green signal strength bars are lit as follows: on, off, on, off, on

When I plug my laptop into the unit directly I'm getting a 192.168.225.* address. I am unable to connect to the 192.168.5.1 management interface. I attempted to factory reset by holding down reset button for 5 seconds and nothing happened. No factory reset seems to have happened.

Anyone have any ideas?

Message 1 of 18
JasonN
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi mondofresh,

Is your device up-to-date with the most current firmware? Make sure you are connected to a wifi or in and area that has good connection before checking. 

Below is the another way to do a factory reset.

https://kb.netgear.com/31171/How-to-reset-4G-LTE-Modem-to-factory-settings

Please let me know. :]

- Jason N

Message 2 of 18
mondofresh
Initiate

Physical reset:

I have tried the "press reset for 5-seconds" and there is no resultant reset or status change. Lights continue to be lit as described in original post.

I have tried holding reset button for over 60 seconds.

I've tried press/hold during power cycle

When cabled directly to ethernet port with laptop, I am unable to get to 192.168.5.1. In fact, I seem to be picking up a 192.168.225.* address. Obviously I'm not able to get to default 192.168.5.1. I am, however, able to ping address 192.168.225.1. This IP doesn't seem to serve up the management UI.

So...it seems like this device is bricked. I can find no documentation that describes the solid amber and every other signal light illuminated condition.

Message 3 of 18
JasonN
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi mondofresh,

I will PM for further assistance. :]

- Jason N

Message 4 of 18
JasonN
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi mondofresh,

I have forward your issue to my internal team and they will contact you as soon as they can. :]

- Jason N

Message 5 of 18
ArodiD
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @mondofresh ,

Can you try holding down the factory reset button for longer than 5 seconds?  Hold down until you see a change in the LED's then let go and see if that forces a factory reset. 

Regards,

Arodi

Community Team

Message 6 of 18
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @mondofresh

We just want to check if you still have issues with your LB1120. We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 7 of 18
fjammer
Initiate

I have the same problem. We have four LB1121 lte modems and one stopped working. Power light is amber. Then 1st, 3rd, and 5th bars are lit while 2nd and 4th bars have no lights. We tried switching sim cards and carriers between this modem and working ones and seems like the problem is limited to that specific modem.

Like the OP mentioned I have the same problem where I cannot get to 192.168.5.1 and reset button doesn't do anything. I think it's dead.

Message 8 of 18
KrisNeuman
Aspirant

I have both a 1120 and 2120 I recently purchased through Amazon.com.  I am having the same issues for both of these devices.  I cannot access 192.168.5.1.  What can I do?

Model: LB1120|4G LTE Modem, LB2120|4G LTE Modem
Message 9 of 18
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @KrisNeuman

Please describe your network setup when you try to access 192.168.5.1. Kindly check the computer's IP Default Gateway if it is 192.168.5.1. If not, please use that to access the settings page. 

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 10 of 18
erik90
Aspirant

This seems to be a common issue for based the this thread. I recently had a modem that I purchased about a year ago exhibit teh same behavior. At first I thought it was other issues but today narrowed down the issue to the modem. I have default configuratin where the modem assigns DHCP ddresses to connected hostsin teh range 192.168.5.2 to 192.168.5.9. Thsi has been working well since the last year  when i deployed it. Today when I connected the laptop to the modem, it assigned an IP in the range 192.168.225.x and teh default gateway was 192.168.225.1. I then assgned a static ip to my laptop with address 192.168.5.9 and coudlnot access the configuration page 192.168.5.1.

The PWR LED was solid amber and all teh otehr lEDS were on. I tried to factory reset them modem via teh swicth but it did not work.

I also went ahead and powerd down teh modem, removed teh sim card and powered it without it and still coudl not access and same PWR LED status. I then powerd down and inserted back the sim card one more time and still no lukc. I tried the factory reset by holding down the switch for as long as I could and still no luck.

Does anybody have any luck or resolution on this issue? Can I make a conclusion that its possibly a hardware issue that just fails excatly afetr one year of use within the warranty period?

Thanks,

E

Model: LB1121|4G LTE Modem with PoE
Message 11 of 18
erik90
Aspirant

Hello all,

I know this is an old thread but I am looking for some answers or resolutions from anyone who might have experienced the same issue. After trying all the diagnostics and factory resets as suggested in this forum I still was not able to resolve the problem.

Thanks,

E

Model: LB1120|4G LTE Modem
Message 12 of 18
johndlewis
Aspirant

I have the same problem, it looks as though mine did a firmware update on its own and that's what sent it spiraling.  A factory reset worked for a few minutes, then back to the solid amber light.  This product let me down in a profound way, and at a remote site that's hard to get to...never again.

Message 13 of 18
erik90
Aspirant

John,

I understand your situation and I am supprised that Neatgear team is not monitoring this thread or providing any clues. This is very frustrating and to make things worse it happened again on a replacement modme that i sent to the customer and now with all this crisis, the system has been down and cannot risk replacing with another one without understanding what is causing the issue.

My first Modem worked very well for almost one year and then all over a sudden it failed and a factory reset would help. I followed some of the recommendations provided on thsi thread and still no luck. Luckily enough I had supplied tow units to the customer and so I had them swicth to the second unit. When we replaced it, I made sure I update dteh firmware as the modem indicated there was firmware update available. The firmware updated successfully and the modem worked well for one week and the failed for the same f**ng unkwown reason. 

I have several of them modems and have been mostly using them for my projects but I am not sure I will risk using them moving forward or even recomend to anyone.

If someone has a resolution or good understanding of the issue maybe that will change my mind. In am evaluating different options and cam across teh below product which might be my option moving forward.

RBSXTR&R11e-LTE-US

Eric

Message 14 of 18
johndlewis
Aspirant

Hi Eric,

I definitely empathize with you.

I noticed my firmware changed recently on the LB1120, and I don't remember allowing it to do any automatic updates...I think that's what killed it, to be honest.  My guess is that perhaps some poor performing NVRAM or something that was put in the modem.  Just the same, I used mine for a rather remote tower site to interconnect some amateur radio two-way repeater systems.  It was one of the things I didn't really need to go offline, especially now, and getting a replacement for it will be a colossial pain.  This was my first and apparently last LB series modem.

I did sit and fiddle with it tonight; I shut the power down and tried to drain any parasitic current out of it in hopes that it might put everything back to a good state...no luck.  For what I paid for it, I expected decent quality without it randomly failing for no reason.  So comes the age of you and I doing the world's QA work for them, I guess.

I'll end up replacing this with something much more expensive, but likely without ever having to worry about it.  The sad reality is, this is one of the few devices one can easily get for 4G LTE with an Ethernet interface that worked OK.  Oh well, we live and learn...the lack of support and ownership of the problem is what seals the deal on NETGEAR products for me...I'll put in a 56K dial-up modem or use carrier pigeons to move data before I ever use a NETGEAR product again...what a rip-off!

I hope NETGEAR is able to help you...I tossed mine in the garbage tonight, which is where it so aptly belongs.

-John

Message 15 of 18
Usmcdarr
Aspirant

Actually I stumbled across this post cause I have been having problems but tonight. I plugged my Netgear LB1120 into my computer directly and re booted it that way and now it works and I can log back into it just over WiFi now also unlike before. Hope this helps someone out.
Message 16 of 18
erik90
Aspirant

Thank you for sharing your experience but it sounds to me that your issue if different since your were able to establish connection with the PC to issue a reboot command. In my case the modem assigns a different IP than the default and not accessible via that IP or even the default (192.168.5.1). Tried everything from hard resets, removing and installing the sim card, using a different sim card, powering off for days and powering back and still no luck. 

I agree with John from teh previous post that something is messed up either on the hardware side or the firmware that might have been pushed out automatically and briked the modem. Its no suprise that I had two that failed with the issue.

I have several 2120's and I hope they also dont get **bleep**ed up in  a similar way.

Netgear should take this forum completely out of there website if they don't have anybody monitoring and responding to these issues. 

Message 17 of 18
cadcando
Aspirant

Just thought I would mention that as of July 28 2020 Verizon will not recognize the LB1120 as a certified device. At that time service will be terminated. 

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7