× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: Public WAN IP address with Nighthawk M1 on AT&T? Please help!

flying_monkey
Aspirant

Public WAN IP address with Nighthawk M1 on AT&T? Please help!

I am trying to access my Nighthawk M1 hotspot/router over the internet to control a professional motion picture camera through port 1111.  While not using the M1 and using my home router I am able to forward port 1111 to the camera's IP address and connect from anwhere in the world to control it...so I know the system works.

When I connect the camera to the M1, I am not able to access it. I have set up port forwarding on the M1 for port 1111.  Doing some research it appears that maybe the WAN IP is not public?  The ISP is AT&T.  Does anyone have any advice.  I have spent hours on with Netgear and AT&T...not really getting anywhere productive with them.  Anyone able to access their M1 over the internet and forward ports to devices?  Thanks in advance for any help!

-Eric

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk M1 Mobile Router
Message 1 of 5
chasemixon
Aspirant

I am having the same issue, my best guess is the ISP (AT&T) is NATing our external IP if you go to your settings page then Network tab, you will see your IP Address, if it is a 10.x.x.x that is an internal ip, meaning it is not exposed to the internet, rather it is internal to AT&T. then if you go to ipchicken.com it will show you what external or your real IP address, unfortunately, no settings on the router will allow you connect from outside the router.  you have to call and ask AT&T to change your sim to get a public IP address. I'm on hold right now, trying to get to someone who even understands my request... so far I'm batting 0.. phone call number 3.

🙂
Good luck.

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk M1 Mobile Router
Message 2 of 5
flying_monkey
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. I spent a long time on the phone with ATT customer serivce- many levels.  I was told at some point it was possible on a business account, but then later that it was not.  At the ATT store one of the managers said he knows what to do but I am having a hard time getting some follow through on it. I am still pursuing it as he told me he has done it for others.  They did move the device over to a Business/Enterprise account- I had to provide a EIN for my S-Corp which luckily I have my own company. 

I will report back and progress.  Please keep me updated on what you find out!

-Eric

Message 3 of 5
chasemixon
Aspirant

I’m waiting until Monday to speak with someone, I hit a wall with “Tech Support” and I use that phrase ever so sparingly. They acted like a cow looking a new gate. All I could get out of the tech support was AT&T IP address range. 😞 

I’ll try again with the business team.
Message 4 of 5
LlamaLarry
Luminary

Yeah, without some sort of static IP from AT&T I think you're always behind their carrier grade NAT.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7