× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: R7100LG internet connect drops out every hour precisely (interrupts video conf calls, games, ...

dam_ged
Guide

R7100LG Internet via LTE drops out every hour precisely (interrupts video conf calls, games, stream)

Hello,

I have been using the R7100LG for several months without any noticeable issue until I started using video conferencing (Skype for business, formerly Microsoft Lync) on a regular basis leveraging screen sharing as a way to present slides to a remote audience.

ISSUE: The internet connection interrupts for 2 seconds then reconnects *every hour exactly*.

As a result my screen sharing stops; I have to wait for the reconnection and rejoin the meeting then reshare my screen with my customer which is big inconvenience sometimes.I face similar issues although with much less business impact when watching streaming videos (it pauses 2/3 seconds then restarts) or playing video games (I get kicked out of battle net).

Notes:

- Interruption occurs exactly every 1 hour (I spend a lot of time testing with Lync screen sharing) e.g. 8:53, 9:53, 10:53, 11:53...

- I use 4G/LTE connection only (no DSL)

- Firmware version: V1.0.0.32_1.0.6

- I tried reboot and factory reset

- I tried with both WIFI and Ethernet, I have the issue with both

- I tried with another SIM card (from a different ISP), I have the same issue

- I tried to use the same SIM card on a much cheaper device (Huawei E5573 LTE hotspot, price tag 99EUR vs 300EUR for the Netgear Nighthawk R7100LG). No disconnects.

- I also tried to use the same SIM card on my mobile phone (Samsung s7), I have a good reception (strongest signal) where my router is and I could stay connected 3 hours in a row without any disconnect

---------------

Workaround (makes you wanna cry): I rebooted my router at 8:59 to that the interruption is every hour on the dot. Therefore I have less chances to interrupt a remote customer meeting (I/they start sharing screens after the beginning of the meeting and stop sharing before the end)...

---------------

Please help out.

That is very frustating and impacts my business (interrupted video conf calls). Downgrading to a 4g travel hotspot is not a professional solution.

I see that similar issues have been reported during the last year. Please advise!

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R7100LG-Modem-Router-drops-connection-every-...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Nighthawk-R7100LG-disconnect-battlenet/m-p/1...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R7100LG-disconnections-4G-LTE/m-p/1223025#M4...

Thanks!

DG from Switzerland

Topic: R7100LG internet connect drops out every hour precisely (interrupts video conf calls, games, stream)

Model: R7100LG|Nighthawk 4G LTE Modem Router
Message 1 of 51

Accepted Solutions
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: R7100LG Internet via LTE drops out every hour precisely (interrupts video conf calls, games, str

Hi gbuisson, 

Do you have the updated firmware (1.0.0.46) installed? 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 50 of 51

All Replies
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: R7100LG internet connect drops out every hour precisely (interrupts video conf calls, games, ...

Hi @dam_ged

Kindly check your inbox.

Message 2 of 51
dam_ged
Guide

Hi Elaine,

I have tried to pre beta FW. Now the internet drop out occurs exactly every 4 hours instead of every hour.

DG

Message 3 of 51
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I suggest that you do a hard reset by following the steps below.

1. With the unit powered on, press and hold the reset button on the back of unit for 30seconds.
2. Without releasing the reset button, unplug the unit and hold reset for another 30 seconds.
3. Power on the unit while STILL pushing the reset button and count for another 30 seconds before letting it go.

If it didn't work, capture the debug logs for me and send it through PM.

1. login 192.168.1.1/debug.htm
2. click to enable "enable mobile Event log"
3. click "start capture"
4. click "save debug log" -> finished

Message 4 of 51
dam_ged
Guide

Hello Elaine,

Hard reset does not seem to fix the issue.

I have just started the debug capture.

Thanks,

DG

Message 5 of 51
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thank you. Feel free to send the logs through PM.

Message 6 of 51
dam_ged
Guide

Hello Elaine

Here is today's log. I hard reset the router. It restarted at 9:27 CET.

Then I had 3 interruptions 13:27-17:27-21:27. One cut a video conference in the middle 😞 using screen sharing with Skype for business.

I attached the log dump to my case.

Let me also PM it to you. Just in case you need another one I am going to run it again.

Thanks,

DG

Message 7 of 51
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@dam_ged I would like to know that I have forwarded your case to our engineering team to further check on the logs.

I'll provide you an update as soon as I get a response.

Message 8 of 51
dam_ged
Guide

Hello Elaine,
Ant news? On top of what I measured and logged (internet drops out every 4 hours), let me report some random internet slow downs. I had to restart my modem several times. Maybe that was due to logs behind turned on...
Looking forward to your feedback. Does it make sense to return my unit through the warranty? I guess not since I am not the only one in this case (internet hourly dropouts)...
Thanks
DG
Message 9 of 51
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I have sent a follow-up email to our engineering team regarding your case. 

Message 10 of 51
dam_ged
Guide

Hello,

Any update?

Thanks,

DG

PS: can you please add "R7100LG" as a model in the drop down list where we create a community post:

"Model (Recommended - Helps the community give the best answers)"
Message 11 of 51
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Still waiting for a response from engineering. 

By the way, the model number has been added in the list.

Message 12 of 51
SteffenHoehne
Aspirant

Re: R7100LG Internet via LTE drops out every hour precisely (interrupts video conf calls, games, str

Hi

I've the same issues see Case #29210547

I've also tried up-and downgrade fw, hw reset, disable unused functions.... still drops. My mobile hotspot works fine - but I need a router.

I've tried a zyxel lte router from my workplace for a couple of days without any problems! Same location as the netgear R7100lg.

Netgear - please solve the problem.

Steffen

Message 13 of 51
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@SteffenHoehne I will forward your case to our engineers. Thank you!

Message 14 of 51
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I have sent a follow up email to our engineering team regarding this case.

So far, no word yet but I am hearing that they are coming up with a trial fw. 

Message 15 of 51
SteffenHoehne
Aspirant

Thank you.
Message 16 of 51
dam_ged
Guide

Hello, can you please update this topic?
Message 17 of 51
SteffenHoehne
Aspirant

no update 😞 still beta and development.

I will write on twitter #**bleep**typroduct  to netgear - I think they need a little storm 😕

Message 18 of 51
TowerStudio
Tutor

I have the same problems here, although I could not swear it happens every hour (I honestly feel sometimes it much more frequent than that but can't really verify). To the point that when I need to download or upload a big file I must use my phone tethered to make sure my connection doesn't drop in the middle. Annoying.

Message 19 of 51
dam_ged
Guide

Hello Elaine, Team,
Do you have any update? Happy to try a new FW update. If not please advise in case warranty return is the recommended option.
Thanks
DG
Message 20 of 51
dam_ged
Guide

The new firmware is re-introducing the initial issue. Man Sad

As I said on 2017-09-22 07:47 PM, beta firmware R7100LG_Q1_1.0.0.33_1.0.6_test was not solving but impoving the issue: internet interruption precisely every 4 hour instead of every hour.

I have just installed the new firmware V1.0.0.34_1.0.6. The issue is back to what it was before: internet interruption precisely every hour.

Interruption every 4 hour was not OK but tolerable pending from a definitive fix. Interruption every hour is very disruptive & not acceptrable.

Please work on the issue with high priority.

Message 21 of 51
SteffenHoehne
Aspirant

Yeah, they send me also an FW - doesnt work - its ridiculous. Thats the most **bleep**ed up product i've ever bought.

Netgear - never again! 

Message 22 of 51
gamoul
Aspirant

Same problem here, tried last FW version 1.0.0.38, internet connexion still drops every hour.
Strangly, if I ping a remote adress, there is no timeout. So the LTE connexion is still there. But it seems that all TCP / UDP connexions are droped.
Tried 2 sim cards from 2 different providers, makes no difference. LTE signal is good on both case.
Please help.
Thanks

Message 23 of 51
slaskawi
Tutor

Hey,

The same happens with my R7100LG (firmware V1.0.0.38_1.0.6). All TCP connections seem to be dropped but if I constantly ping some address (like one of the Google's sites), everything seems to be fine.

Thanks,

Sebastian

Message 24 of 51
TowerStudio
Tutor

We need this to be fixed, it can't be that hard. This is ridiculous.

Message 25 of 51
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 50 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7