× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: R7100LG Internet via LTE drops out every hour precisely (interrupts video conf calls, games, str

dam_ged
Guide

Re: R7100LG Internet via LTE drops out every hour precisely (interrupts video conf calls, games, str

@netgear team: this topic has been open for 4 months.
Still NO solution except for a beta firmware which is a partial fix.
Please provide official feedback. This discussion is running in circles.
Model: R7100LG|Nighthawk 4G LTE Modem Router
Message 26 of 51
MikkoFI
Tutor

Hi,

I have the same problem, 4G disconnects and only way to fix it is to boot the device. I also have cheap 4g modem (with terrible quality WLAN..) that does not have the same problem with the same SIM card. I'm contacting the seller and trying to get refund, sadly I'm not convinced Netgear will fix the issue or is even dedicated fixing the issue. 😞

Message 27 of 51
MikkoFI
Tutor

And I'm running latest firmware. I also tried to disconnect, connect the 4G but no luck, boot is the only way to solve the problem until it disconnects again.

Firmware Version 
V1.0.0.38_1.0.6

Message 28 of 51
dam_ged
Guide

@ElaineM @JamesGL ???
Help!!! R7100LG users need follow-up !!!

The link to beta FW doesn't work anymore. Was it withdrawn since it does not contain the lastest security patches??? http://files.netgear-support.com/go/?a=d&i=2AD3JlvTm8
Message 29 of 51
dam_ged
Guide

@gamoul
How did you monitor tcp/udp disconnects...?
The only way I have to show see precisely when it drop is to virtual connect to my office desktop via Citrix which freezes upon internet drop out.
Do you have any command line that would help document frequency of dropouts? Thanks
Message 30 of 51
gamoul
Aspirant

I have a permanent IRC connexion that get disconnected every hour.
I also do support with TeamViewer and I get a freeze.
Also if I play online there is a lag for about 10-15s.
But if I leave a ping running, no timeout.

Message 31 of 51
slaskawi
Tutor

@gamoul That's exactly what I was about to suggest. Using IRC (I confirmed this using Konversation and XChat) is the easiest way to reproduce this issue. Just turn it on, sit and wait. 

I also ran `ping` and `curl` in a loop to see if this happens also to the new connections. The answer is negative. Pings and curl queries were all successful. Only the established TCP connections are dropped. 

Come on Netgear! Now, there is no excuse, you can reproduce it in your own lab!

Message 32 of 51
dam_ged
Guide

@gamoul @slaskawi
I am looking for a Windows tool that would graphically show drops (packet loss) frequency.

Command line
https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-check-for-dropped-packets

Wireshark
https://osqa-ask.wireshark.org/questions/5675/how-to-analyse-througput-packet-loss-rtt-rather-than-g...

Thanks,
Damien
Message 33 of 51
dam_ged
Guide

Posting the above before trying in case any of you already tried or has a better way...
Message 34 of 51
slaskawi
Tutor

Netgear support - I've just created a support case. ID: 29651272

@dam_ged Diagnosing this might be very tricky. The router might just override the sequence number in a TCP packet and the application behavior might be exactly the same as we can see in our cases. Of course I'm just guessing here...

The only way that comes into my mind is to monitor the network equipment with Wireshark and on the second window monitor active connections using Netstat for example (I have never done this on Windows but there should be something similar there). The hardest part would be to correlate TCP packets from Wireshark with a connection that has just been dropped (and which one you may find out from Netstat; it should be removed from the list of established connections). Once you find this, you'd need to inspect the packets manually and see what's wrong. But honestly - isn't this something to be done by the Netgear folks?

Message 35 of 51
dam_ged
Guide

@slaskawi
Makes sense. My support ticket got automatically closed while I was on vacation. I can't reopen it since I am beyond the 90-day premium support period.
Great to learn you opened a new one! Looking forward to hearing from their feedback... Curious to learn about the official Netgear standpoint at this point.
Message 36 of 51
dam_ged
Guide

If that helps my old ticket (*unsolved*, automatically closed) was: 29021056
Message 37 of 51
TowerStudio
Tutor

I wonder if anyone at Netgear is every gonna read this thread and messages again. It's bad. Very bad...

Message 38 of 51
slaskawi
Tutor

@TowerStudio @dam_ged It seems there is no official Netgear response on this thread (sadly!), so maybe let me give you a small update.

My case (#29651272) has been investigated by the engineering team and qualified as a known issue. I have been told they are working on it. In the meantime I tested a new firmware (V1.0.0.41T1_1.0.6) which was suffering exactly the same issue - all connections were dropped every hour. 

So it's been more than 4 months and we do not have any solution. Looking at this thread it seems @dam_ged was testing firmware R7100LG_Q1_1.0.0.33_1.0.6_test. So we've had 8 software builds so far (from 1.0.0.33 to 1.0.0.41) without any noticable change. Let's put this straight - if I had known this, I wouldn't have bought this router. 

Message 39 of 51
TowerStudio
Tutor

I bought this model on Amazon in June last year.

I just sent them an email explaining the situation and asking what they could do to help? Within 5 minutes I got a return form and all I need to do is take it back to the post office, I don't even have to pay for the shipping. If only Netgear treated their customers the same way. I just need to find a better manufacturer (any recommendations welcome). Too bad, the Nighthawk looked nice.

Message 40 of 51
SteffenHoehne
Aspirant

Hi guys

I've just changed the this peace of *BAD WORD* with a zyxel lte device. I have no problems so far 🙂

6 months of trouble, mobile hotspot and support terror is over.

Netgear - private and business - never again.

Dear guys - just buy another device! 

kind regards

Steffen

Message 41 of 51
TowerStudio
Tutor

Ok this is really weird. As I started unpacking the modem, I removed the three antennas and, wondering if the reception was any good without them, I ran some speed test. Then I had other things to do and left everything like this. It's been over an hour and a half and I didn't have any disconnection yet. Guys can you try if it does the same for you? Maybe I'm totally wrong and I missed the disconnection but I've been using the computer since and as I have the modem reset around a fixed round hour so I know when it will disconnect, it should have disconnected 10 minutes ago and definitely didn't... I'll keep an eye open, let me know if that does anything to you.

Message 42 of 51
dam_ged
Guide

Hi all, I was informed by Elaine that James is taking over. @JamesGL welcome to this thread. Looking forward to your advice. We've been discussing between us (customers) for a while and will really appreciate your support here... thx
Message 43 of 51
TowerStudio
Tutor

Ok so regarding my comment about removing the antennas, it doesn't "cut" as bad as it did before: it doesn't interrupt my browsing or downloading of files (maybe because the interruption is shorter), but I tried having an IRC window in the back and indeed I am disconnected from the server every hour precisely.

Message 44 of 51
Sh4rp93
Guide

Hi,

any news on this topic?

I have the exact same problem and it driving me nuts.

Thanks.

Sh4rp

Message 45 of 51
slaskawi
Tutor

Unfortunately not from my side. I'm trying to return the router back to the shop and get my money back.

In the meantime I bought D-Link DWR-953 and never touched it since then. It just works... 

Message 46 of 51
SteffenHoehne
Aspirant

I have a also another device (Zyxel) and no problems.

Netgear: never again

Message 47 of 51
dam_ged
Guide

Sharing my option B which works very well too:

Netgear Aircard 810s thethered (usb) to Asus ac68u
Message 48 of 51
gbuisson
Guide

I also do have the same issue over the past year of usage, it disconnects at regular intervals, I didn't mesure it but every hour sounds reasonable, I thought that it was due to my ISP! It ususally drops my TV.

When could we get a fix for that ? what a shame for netgear because this is the most expensive 4G router, I purchased it over a TP-Link so to have no problems but it seems it's the worst!

Can somebody share the beta firmware at least ? 4H sounds better than 1H....

Message 49 of 51
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi gbuisson, 

Do you have the updated firmware (1.0.0.46) installed? 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 50 of 51
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 50 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7