× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Remote connection via WAN to Nighthawk MR2100 M2 and DVR system

Mark10198
Aspirant

Remote connection via WAN to Nighthawk MR2100 M2 and DVR system

Hi there,

I’m pretty novice with my new mobile router and I have a connection query.

I have a remote farm at which I have four cameras set up on a DVR system standard H.264 system.  I purchased the Nighthawk MR2100 M2 because we have no phone lines, but good 4G signal.  I want to connect the router to my DVR system and then access the cameras from home so I can check my sheep when they are lambing at night.

I’m not sure if I need to set up port forwarding for the DVR or just used the DMZ function and set the DVR to 192.168.1.4

I have also turned off DHCP in the hope that I can fix the external IP address, but this still seems to change every time I reboot.

Is what I am trying to achieve (Remote connection to DVR camera system via MR2100 M2) possible?

If anyone has any suggestions, I would be really grateful.

Kind regards

Mark

Message 1 of 4

Re: Remote connection via WAN to Nighthawk MR2100 M2 and DVR system

You might get some clues if you told people what the camera system is.

These things all seem to work in their own ways.

My guess is that you are more likely to find people with those cameras who know about Netgear routers than the other way round.

The feature you are looking for is built into Arlo technology. But that isn't really a DVR system.

Message 2 of 4
Mark10198
Aspirant

Thanks for your response, unfortunately these DVR systems are generic and unbranded.  H.264 is the only P/N present which I think only dictates that it’s a 4-port system. The DVR box is very standard and has a reasonable GUI interface where IP settings can be committed etc with screen, K&M.  I think I can figure the settings for the DVR to talk to the Nighthawk. My question is how I connect to my Nighthawk remotely if it is not on the same local network? I’m wondering if I should be using a second more configurable router to establish a WAN connection or if I can do it with the Nighthawk?

Message 3 of 4

With conventional routers you have the option to use "Anywhere Access" or ReadyCLOUD for various things. Unfortunately, "Mobile Routers, Hotspots & Modems" are different animals.

Questions arise here regularly as to how you can use one of these as the "front end" of a conventional router. I don't recall seeing a satisfactory resolution to that one.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7