× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Router Questions and Help Requested

kaisrmaulo5
Follower

Router Questions and Help Requested

I'm hoping to get some help figuring out what to do about a new wireless router and possibly modem.

To set things up, I'd consider myself fairly computer literate but reading some of the latest wireless router specs has me scratching my head. My current set up is Apple Airport Time Capsule from 2009 router and a motorola SB6121 modem that's probably even older. Our current plan from comcast is for 150Mbps down and 20Mbps up.

I'd like to get something that's relatively future proof but it looks like I have a few options. My new apartment is laid out in a way that's difficult for my current router to cover and the connection in the bedroom is slow. I'm thinking it's a router range/antenna issue.

I see things like ubiquiti, mesh systems, or just a new router like a nighthawk model. What would be the best way to go for a reliable connection? I've seen options to extend range but that seems like a band aid and I'd rather do things right. Budget is not unlimited but if something will last 5-10 years I'll put in decent money to keep things running smoothly.

I work from home and need reliable speed, have multiple streaming devices, hardwired gaming, smarthome devices, etc. I wouldn't call it a power-user situation but well above average.

Thanks in advance for your help and I'll be happy to answer other questions or discuss.

Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: Router Questions and Help Requested

You posted in the mobile routers page. But here's what I'd recommend.

1. skip extenders. They are a band aid. 

2. buy a modem seperate from the router. LIke you have it. it gives you upgrade options and firmware update options. 

3. The orbi system is a solid system from netgear. Just avoid the dual band orbi's. The tribands are worth it. Not sure if you need AX class orbi based off what you put. 

4. I'd look at a docsis 3.1 modem if your isp supports that. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7