× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Router as Access Point or Bridge

Thundercat
Initiate

Router as Access Point or Bridge

Hi,

Looking for some help here with an older Netgear router. My main router is in the living room and all my devices connect to that. However the signal to my Ring door bell keeps saying poor wifi connection (in the Ring App). So I was hoping to use my older Netgear router  as an access point (if possible) so that my Ring can connect to it and I can place this Netgear router in the study which is closer to my front door. I have reset the Netgear router and changed the IP address to static, removed the DHCP setting etc. I was also able to connect my Main router thru an ethernet cable to the Netgear router and was able to access the Internet thru the Netgear.If I remove the cable then the Netgear drops connection. What I want is the Netgear router to connect wirlessly to my main router so that I dont have run the cable all the way from the living room to the study. I talked to Netgear support and they said it can be done but I have to pay for support since the router is kind of old. I have watched couple of youtube vidoes on configuring this but still not able to connect both routers wirelessly. If anyone can help with the settings, it would be very much appreciated.

Netgear Router: Model WGT 624 v3.

Thank you.

Model: WGT624v3|108Mbps Wireless Firewall Router|EOL
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Router as Access Point or Bridge

In access point mode, it needs to be hardwired in. 

You're trying to set it up in repeater mode/extender mode. 

It doesn't have that mode. You'd be better off to purchase a cheap extender that's designed to run that function. it'll work better, be more stable, and have better performance than the WGT624 (released in 2005, orginally in 2003). 

Its time to upgrade/discard that device. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
plemans
Guru

In access point mode, it needs to be hardwired in. 

You're trying to set it up in repeater mode/extender mode. 

It doesn't have that mode. You'd be better off to purchase a cheap extender that's designed to run that function. it'll work better, be more stable, and have better performance than the WGT624 (released in 2005, orginally in 2003). 

Its time to upgrade/discard that device. 

Message 2 of 3
Thundercat
Initiate

Thanks so much for the reply. I spent half a day yesterday and couple of hours trying to confiure the setting to make it a wireless access point. Good to know that this is supported. I agree its time to upgrade as this router has reached it end of life. I will probably end up getting one of the newer mesh networks which is hopefully easier to configure. Again thanks for your response. Very much appreciated.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7