× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

SECURITY! "Intruder" on Telstra-BigPond 4G Advanced II AirCard 790S

ausgumbie
Aspirant

SECURITY! "Intruder" on Telstra-BigPond 4G Advanced II AirCard 790S

Hi

I really wanted this to appear under Security, but the website directed me here so if mods, you decide I'm in the wrong place, I did try.

As shown, our family has a Netgear, BigPond Wi-Fi 4G Advanced II AirCard 790S hotspot.

A day or so ago, I noted an unknown device on the online manager page. Being alone, and knowing no other devices were on, I did my normal thing - didn't note the device ID, didn't log in to get its IP address or block it - just panicked and got off the internet. Later, I got back on and waited to see if it re-joined, when I would snare its details and take things from there. It didn't re-appear that day.

Today (15/8/2016), it reappeared but my wife was also online. I checked with her what devices she knew were on and the suspect one was definitely an "extra". This time, I logged in, got its details and blocked it.

It had a 12-digit Mac number (i.e., in pairs separated by hyphens). Bit its showed as IP: 0.0.0.0. I looked up the Mac number on a site called "arul's utilities" and it told me the manufacturer (Western Digital, 1599 North Broadway, Rochester Mn 55906, United States) which doesn't mean much to me.

Well - that's it. Do the things I've described above mean anything to anyone in the community out there?

Cheers

ausbumbie

Model: AirCard 790S|BigPond/Telstra Wi-Fi 4G Advanced II
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
ausgumbie
Aspirant

Re: SECURITY! "Intruder" on Telstra-BigPond 4G Advanced II AirCard 790S

Oh dear! It's fess-up time.

At my wife's suggestion, I checked the bottom of a little device sitting on the tv set.

Could it have been that? she asked. Today, very late in the peace, I checked it out. The device is a WD TV Live Streaming Media Player. On its back, of course, is its product information sheet - with its MAC number listed on it! The same number as the "intruder".

I am presently very red-faced. Sorry to have been a time-waster, everyone! I live and learn.

Smiley Embarassed

ausgumbie

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello ausgumbie

I would change the wireless password on your hot spot as well. And you do not have any external hard drives hooked up to your or your wife's devices that is what western digital makes is hard drives.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 4
ausgumbie
Aspirant

Thanks Darren

Sorry tardy with reply - other issues delayed me.

Info re Western Digital - many thanks. Got me reading. I noted they also make MyBook which can be modified to do a number of things. (e.g. - "Hacking WD MyBook World Ed" - http://mybookworld.wikidot.com/forum:recent-posts). Do you know - from your own knowledge - whether someone could use such a device (or similar) like a computer to launch attacks on people's WiFi routers/hotspots?

Also, this being a Netgear site, any comment on the AC790S and the password length (and mix of letters, numerals, symbols) it allows would be appreciated. However, I'll also make that a separate question to the forums.

Many thanks

ausgumbie

Message 3 of 4
ausgumbie
Aspirant

Oh dear! It's fess-up time.

At my wife's suggestion, I checked the bottom of a little device sitting on the tv set.

Could it have been that? she asked. Today, very late in the peace, I checked it out. The device is a WD TV Live Streaming Media Player. On its back, of course, is its product information sheet - with its MAC number listed on it! The same number as the "intruder".

I am presently very red-faced. Sorry to have been a time-waster, everyone! I live and learn.

Smiley Embarassed

ausgumbie

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7