× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Same SSID for 2.4 and 5 GHz Wifi

LB0509
Follower

Same SSID for 2.4 and 5 GHz Wifi

Hi,

i want to ask if its possible to name the 2.4 and 5 GHz Wifi Network the same so that they appear as one Network

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk M1 Mobile Router
Message 1 of 3
W1lliam
Virtuoso

Re: Same SSID for 2.4 and 5 GHz Wifi

You can configure 2.4G and 5G wireless network with same SSID, and password/key. It should work for most of the devices that is supporting dual band wireless.

Message 2 of 3
Stev3D
Luminary

Re: Same SSID for 2.4 and 5 GHz Wifi

For most Netgear devices this is true (the SSIDs can be the same) -- but not all.  I purchsed a R6230 for a family member last year and discovered that the firmware would NOT let me set the two SSIDs to the same string (it popped an error when I hit "Apply" that specifically stated they cannot be the same).  The documentation makes no mention of this, and after a lot of back-and-forth with Netgear support, I got nowhere.  In that case, the two SSIDs are different (and that is damn inconvenient). Thank you for nothing, Netgear.

I am looking to get a R6080 for someone, reviewed the documentation, and it is similarly silent on the topic -- so I may have to buy it and if it doesn't permit the same SSID, I will send it back.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7