× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Strong Passwords for AC790S

ausgumbie
Aspirant

Strong Passwords for AC790S

Hi All

This is a query generated from discussion on another thread (https://community.netgear.com/t5/AirCard-LTE-Hotspots-Gateways/SECURITY-quot-Intruder-quot-on-Telstr...).

In the AC790S manual, reference is made to passwords on a number of occasions.

Extract Follows:

Three passwords are associated with the hotspot:

Wi-Fi password. Use this to connect your computer or other Wi-Fi device to your mobile hotspot network. This character string is unique to your device. It displays on the main hotspot touchscreen. If the screen is blank (a power-saving feature), press and quickly release the Power key. The default Wi-Fi password is printed on a label under the battery.

Guest Wi-Fi password. When the guest Wi-Fi network is enabled, guests can use this password to access the network.

Admin login password. Use this to log in to the hotspot web page as an administrator. You must log in as an administrator to use certain features and to make changes to your hotspot settings. The default admin login password, admin, is printed on a label under the battery. The admin login pasword can be 5–31 characters. (Page 18.)

That fairly sums up the reference to passwords throughout the manual.

Re the "Main" password, the default one is a string of eight (8) numerals. Before I start monkeying around and possibly waste my time or worse, is anyone able to tell me:

(1) whether the AC790S "Main" password -  only referred to as a "character string ... unique to your device" also allows passwords up to 31 characters, and:

(2) whether these characters can be the printable hexidecimal ones? (I.e., CAPITALS, lower case, 12345..., !@#$%...), and:

(3) whether more than 31 characters are possible?

Thank you

ausgumbie

Model: AirCard 790S|BigPond/Telstra Wi-Fi 4G Advanced II
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
ausgumbie
Aspirant

Re: Strong Passwords for AC790S

Thanks Darren!

31 will do fine.

Cheers

ausgumbie

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello ausgumbie 

It can only be up to 31 charaters and yes you can use capitals, numbers, and special characters.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 3
ausgumbie
Aspirant

Thanks Darren!

31 will do fine.

Cheers

ausgumbie

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats