× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: Tethering on a MR1100 SKU 6113B

lcesarano
Aspirant

Tethering on a MR1100 SKU 6113B

I was given a Netgear MR1100, the "business" version 6113B.

It has been unlocked and its firmware is NTG9X50C_12.06.11.00, GUI is MR1100-100NAS_04.01.80.00

Is there any way to enable internet tethering either via its ethernet and/or its USB port? currently it can only pass internet via Wi-Fi. Ideally I would want ot use it connect to a router to give internet to my house.

Thank you

Luca

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk M1 Mobile Router
Message 1 of 7
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi lcesarano, 

Welcome to NETGEAR Community!

A tethered connection to a computer lets you access the mobile router from a web browser without a WiFi connection.

Please see page 17 

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/MR1100/MR1100_UM_EN.pdf

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 2 of 7
lcesarano
Aspirant

Hello

Thank you for getting back to me.

My issue is that in this SKU the tethering does not work. I understand it is designed to be blocked, and I am asking wheter there is any way to unblock it, either tether via USB or tether via ethernet or ideally both.

I need to use the MR1100 to give internet access to multiple PC's that do not have wifi connections and are in different rooms. So my ideal is to connect the MR1100 via ethernet to a router and from there via cable give internet to multiple PC's.

Luca

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk M1 Mobile Router
Message 3 of 7
icaruspony
Luminary

I don't know what's special about the business version, or what you would lose from the business version by doing this...

But have you thought about using telnet via USB-C and fdt.exe to flash it to the generic firmware?  I wrote up a how-to in a reply to someone's post, recently on this.  If the hardware is the same (which it probably is), it should work. Proceed at your own risk, however.

Message 4 of 7
lcesarano
Aspirant

Hello

Yes, I flashed in it firmware is NTG9X50C_12.06.11.00 (GUI is MR1100-100NAS_04.01.80.00). Do you know whether that is "generic enough"? Even so, no ethernet or even USB tethering working 😞

Luca 

Message 5 of 7
icaruspony
Luminary

It is the same, software-wise, as the retail ones, then.

The only other possibility could be that this version has removed pieces of hardware.  But if that is the case, I don't know why they bothered putting the ethernet port on it.  The USB-C port would be needed for charging either way.

Only way to know would be to take it apart and take pictures of the board with the heatsink covers removed for comparison.

Message 6 of 7
lcesarano
Aspirant

Thank you

I do not know whether I feel at ease with taking it apart, but I wil laks a friend and if so publish the photos. A pity that there is no software solution!

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7