× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Time to clear up the Confusion over Ethernet Capability in the MR1100AU

Hyppolyte
Guide

Time to clear up the Confusion over Ethernet Capability in the MR1100AU

Yes, you can use the MR1100AU's ethernet port out to another router or a switch.

This does not involve Data Offloading, which is a different setting.

If you want to use an old DC112A cradle using the RJ45, it should work in the same way as any Ethernet input as detailed in the cradle's manual.

Nighthawk-M1-MR1100-Is-it-possible-to-connect-it-to-Aircard Smart Cradle

There are currently two copies of the MR1100 manual; The September 2017 US and the June 2018 AU. The second one has instructions on how to use it as an always on fixed router.

Unfortunately the link inside the dashboard's help section to the User Manual goes to the older US manual. Here is a link to the AU manual:MR1100_UM_EN Au.pdf

I have seen recent requests about Ehernet out from the MR1100 dismissed out-of-hand with variations on the theme of "No, you can only use it for Data Offloading" without first enquiring the country it will be used in. Perhaps sending the enquirer off to purchase unnecessary alternatives.

Firmware NTG9X50C_12.06.02.00 for the MR1100 - build date 2018/10/10 has 

Settings|Setup|Mobile Router Setup|Ethernet where you can disable standby for an always-on Ethernet-out connection.  Whether this applies to other countries/providers is an unknown for me.

This appears to remain undocumented as the "latest manual" is from June.

The MR1100 is our sole internet source. It is connected to a router Ethernet-in port which serves our rural household's equipment by Ethernet and Wifi. Used with a QC3.0 charger and the battery removed; it has performed without a reboot for up to 20 days.

This is a far cry from the way it was in early 2017 when it would not work unless through a wifi bridge.

hyppolyte

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router (AU)
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
s-s
Initiate
Initiate

Re: Time to clear up the Confusion over Ethernet Capability in the MR1100AU

Hi.  I did get some help from the Netgear support.   Told me to go from nighthawk to the DC112A cradle wan input and tell the cradle to use wan input only. It works but I not quite as good wi fi in the kitchen for iPads as when it had the old 4G on the cradle. Also confirmed  it's ok to run with out battery in nighthawk. The last two 4G modems went though a couple of battery's with this cradle and the previous cradle not smart enough to stop charging. 

Still might have to get a wi fi extender.

thanks

s

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
s-s
Initiate
Initiate

Re: Time to clear up the Confusion over Ethernet Capability in the MR1100AU

Hi.  I did get some help from the Netgear support.   Told me to go from nighthawk to the DC112A cradle wan input and tell the cradle to use wan input only. It works but I not quite as good wi fi in the kitchen for iPads as when it had the old 4G on the cradle. Also confirmed  it's ok to run with out battery in nighthawk. The last two 4G modems went though a couple of battery's with this cradle and the previous cradle not smart enough to stop charging. 

Still might have to get a wi fi extender.

thanks

s

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7